If we don't get TL, there's always this guy

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Cman68, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I do. And I'm being very nitpicky about it but he's gotta get that ball there.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I confess I haven't seen enough of him - like full game tapes - to determine if that's his limit. I re-watched that throw a bunch and it looks to me like he didn't put everything into it...I mean he obviously was stepping into it, but it didn't seem like a maximum effort throw.

But based on your observation, and that of some other people here, I'm going to have to take a step back and maybe do some more research on Wilson. My gut tells me he's going to be a good pro QB, but I'm not an expert. Thanks for the input.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Most of the time we see things exactly the same. Based on the way you raved about him, I was prepared to love him. Surprisingly, and a bit sadly, I didn't see much of what you had raved about. I wanted to love him, because I think the Jets in typical fashion will wind up screwing this up and winning a game, and Lawrence will wind up in Jacksonville. I truly think that if you had seen the whole game, that your opinion on Wilson would change, at least some. Now maybe it was just an anomaly, a rare bad game. The announcers did say that it was a rough trip BYU and that BYU probably hadn't gotten much sleep. That's why I'm reserving final judgment on him until I can see more game film of him, and not just highlights.

I'm going to watch the highlights of this game and see if my opinion changes any just seeing the positive plays, and then I'll add any comments to the end of this post.

Comments: I can understand just seeing these highlights how one would think that Wilson looked good and had a good game. I can only tell you that if you had seen the whole game, you would almost definitely have a different opinion. On his missed throws, most of them weren't close, and I don't think over 1 pass was dropped if that. He just missed high and badly. BYUs 2 TDs came on missed tackles, bad defense by Coastal Carolina, and were long TDs. I may be mistaken, but I don't think Wilson led BYU on more than 1 or 2 long drives. I think there were several 3 and outs. If not some sloppy play by Coastal Carolina, the score could have been around 30-3. IMO the game wasn't as close as the final score would seem to indicate.

There were two negative things that really stood out to me about Wilson. One, I'll have to see if Wilson does this in other games, but one of them was that on about 5-6 dropbacks, rather than drop straight back and then move to his left, he turned right and spun around with his back to the LOS and then rolled left. That would never fly in the NFL. It takes too long, and he loses sight of the field and the defense. Two, the other thing is that his running style would have to change or would never stay healthy in the NFL. He's too aggressive. He had a good run on the opening drive, but rather than slide at the end of it, he dove straight forward into the tackler. He could have easily hurt his neck or gotten a concussion. Later, he tried to hurdle a tackler and got flipped.

On the positive side, he is accurate, seems to have a pretty strong arm, with a fairly quick release, seems like a good runner and pretty fast.

#83 NCJetsfan, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That was disgusting at the end on the QB, I know the bigs guys scuffled at the end but where were they when he was being picked up and bounced back on to the astroturf.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Showed Wilson has a lot of moxie than folks give him credit for. The Kid didn't fold up after being targeted. His teammates were a bit slow coming to his defense though and that won't happen in the NFL. He also showed he can move the team downfield in a very short period of time when necessary. He doesn't have Josh Allen's arm strength, but he has enough to make the throws he has to make and what he lacks in arm strength, he more than makes up for in accuracy. If he gets with a team with a good Pro to watch, Wilson will be successful in the NFL. Knowing the Jets luck though, NE will draft him.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I agree with that idea but I guess that’s where we differ as I view this QB class as having 3 main tiers at the top.
    1: Lawrence
    2: Fields
    3: Wilson & Lance

If we don’t take Lawrence at 1 or Fields at 2 then I would prefer to trade down and snag one of the tier 3 guys. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong on this ranking/stratification of prospects but we’ll just have to wait and see on that.

And the only issue with wanting multiple 1st this year is there are only 3 teams that have 2 1sts in 2021, Jacksonville, Miami, and us. I don’t see the Jags trading that much to move one spot when they’ll get either Lawrence or Fields and I don’t see Miami being in the QB market at all this offseason as Tua has shown promise this year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah i'm not feeling him or fields as of now. gonna dive depper into the QBs in the offseason once draft spots are settled but i'm leaning towards not taking a QB if we pick 2 right now

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Big game tonight for Wilson's draft status. UCF isn't a world beater on defense but I imagine some folks are going to absolutely fall in love with him after the shootout ensues tonight.

This should be a 48-45 kind of game. I'd expect BYU to lose though. They're 0-8 in the state of Florida and UCF has to take a small road trip to get there while BYU is traveling 2,000 miles across several time zones.

9. Cman68

Game on in 5mins... anybody watching it? I am..

10. Jonathan_Vilma

He looks good but I don't really want to hear many more complaints about Fields throwing to wide open receivers. These BYU receivers have a 5 yard halo of green around them tonight...

11. ColoradoContrails

Even with that Wilson is more accurate.

12. ColoradoContrails

Wilson and BYU are having their way with UCF. I really wish Wilson could've played against some tougher competition, but it is what it is. He's doing what he needs to do.

13. Cman68

You can only play who's on the schedule.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Check out the TD that put BYU up 35-7. A dart right in the receiver's breadbasket.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

17. Jonathan_Vilma

I have no problem eating crow if I'm wrong and never will. Gladly did on Darnold and Rosen.

Being wrong doesn't scare me off of having opinions just because no one else agrees with it.

Not sure which comment you're talking about either. I was telling CC to head over to the thread everyone was talking in.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Mostly talking about the thread in general. Just to see how it looks in 5 years or so

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Shout out to @Cman65 for the early buzz on Wilson. I knew someone made this thread but I couldn't remember who. I'm all in on Wilson now. Hope the Jets are too. We will see this Friday at his Pro Day what the hype is all about.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I got 25 people coming over. No masks!