SAM is perfect fit with Jets west coast offence

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Jul 12, 2018.

1. They schemed throwing lanes for him.He was able to shuffle to the opposite way of the OL’s slide which gave him plenty of space to operate. The few opponents that actually caught on & had the horses to execute were able to bottle him up.As Mike Mayock alluded to when he was forced to drop straight back & throw off a platform he showed some questionable decision making & accuracy specifically on underneath throws.

That said i think he can learn to drop straight back bc he has good feet & a strong lower core.But thats a process,projection & certainly no guarantee.

Still he is an elite level leader,has some very good tools to work with & certainly wouldnt bet against him.

legler82 likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

nope not at all. we were doing this months ago before the draft so if that wasn't too soon this sure isn't

right? the board got really nasty with insults being flung around but the same people that do that are the type to think completion % means accurate lol and only looked at stats and nonsense and didn't take the time to watch the film which was widely available on yoututbe

KurtTheJetsFan and LF911SC like this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I always figured if you have to drop down into the most obscure of all analytics you're making excuses. Just look at the throw. The difficulty, the talent around them, the level of competition and without reading a stat sheet tell me how the little man comes out on top.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

he doesn't but too many people focused on stats and even made up stories about him winning the starting job twice as a walk on when none of that was actually true

5. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

Am I wrong but should I really care about all these stats - accuracy and accuracy+ etc. Isn't the most important thing completing the pass to the receiver so that the play helps move the chains? So what if it wasn't in the perfect place, if the play was made then that's fine by me however ugly it might have been. What I think is that rating college QB's by stats alone has its value but there's nothing like a little unrateable moxie to get the job done that you just have to make a gut feeling call on when deciding on whether a college QB has potebtial to make it in the NFL.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

7. GasedAndConfused

oh lol gotcha. yeah probable but one can hope right? he does have that type of potential at least

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Stats need context to properly evaluate. Did a QB complete a bunch of easy throws to inflate his completion percentage? Did he miss easy throws? Was he able to fit the ball into tight windows? Did his receivers drop passes that should've been caught? I did see signs that Mayfield can be an NFL QB, but he wasn't my top choice, Rosen was. I won't complain about Darnold though as he has the upside to be a star and has the personality to handle the NYC media market. His main issue is the turnovers. Time will tell who emerges as the best QB in this year's class.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bragging about how smart you were at evaluating QBs before those QBs have even played a preseason game doesn't make you look very smart.

10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

From reading this thread it appears Baker Mayfield will be out of the league about the middle of training camp.

After all, he is already 26 and only 5-9.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

bragging is one thing, but if he's right, we might need a new poll for new QB guru on this board ;)

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You having a little height envy?

FJF likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

legler82 likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I had Darnold as the best QB long before we drafted him, so I call dibs on this award. :D

joe and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You'll have to talk to @joe about that one.

joe, FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

Was gonna give it to the rightful owner in @legler82 but you can certainly stake your case :D lol

17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Me, and a lot of others fell in love with the Broadway Baker stuff and totally ignored a lot of red flags. All the uniform memes that were made of him as a Jet planting the flag at Foxboro. His completion percentage, arm strength, the attitude, the bandanna. Plus reports saying the Jets were totally enamored with him. Seemed like it was destiny. Turns out it was all smoke. They wanted Darnold all along and tried to dupe Cleveland into thinking Mayfield was a super special player. And they bought

Hate to say this but I have to give Mike Francesa some credit here. I think about a week before the draft he was a guest on another radio program (this was during his "retirement") and he actually mentioned that he didn't believe there was much truth to the rumors that the Jets love of Mayfield. And he was right

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Love how this whole thing with Mayfield is being re-written before it's even started.

19. 101GangGreen101

I'm upset people are already changing their stances. The draft wasn't that long ago ... good thing this board archives.

GasedAndConfused and Walt White like this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

#80 joe, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018