Peterman in the 3rd

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsfanHBca, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Mac has NO loyalty to Petty. Hack is the golden child.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Cousins has a much better arm than Peterman does. Peterman also has had concussion issues.

Round 5? Sure

Round 2-3? Pass

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is depressing. Hack couldn't get it done in college expecting him to be the "The Man" in the pro's is alot to ask. But come July we will find out. I'm expecting Hack to be further along in his clipboard holding again this year.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't really agree with this. I don't believe Petty was drafted with the intention of being the team's franchise QB. The position is not binary in the sense that you are either an elite starter or a worthless placeholder. There is value in having a reliable affordable backup QB that the team is comfortable with, that knows the system, knows the program, and can be called on when the worst happens.

Petty was not competing with Hackenberg last year. The Jets plan was to not let Hackenberg play last year and they executed the plan. The fact that Petty played was circumstantial. The fact that Petty's play was a mixed bag does not now qualify him as dead man walking.

He showed a lot of good and frankly it would be ignorant for the Jets to give up on him while still on his rookie contract. The Jets didn't give up on Geno while on rookie contract and Mac didn't even draft him.

My prediction is that Petty never truly competes for the starting job in any more than a token sense moving forward, but the Jets continue to keep him on the roster at a minimum through the end of his rookie contract. Unless the Jets feel he's a total waste at that point, they'll probably bring him back on a very friendly contract to provide depth the Jets haven't had in the past at this position. Two years from now Petty should be able to hold down the role currently being filled by the Fitzpatrick and McCowns of the world. That's where he fits with this team.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan, BomberJet and boozer32 like this.
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He did not get it done because PSU was a dumpster fire for a vast majority of his career.

6. boozer32

The same thing can be said about the Jets.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I normally would never root for the NYJ to flop but from this point forward I'm going full-retard to get a franchise QB - by hook or by crook. While no QB's a guarantee, I only know that Darnold almost single-handedly turned around a floundering USC team 180-degrees into a team that by the end of the year could've been put into the playoffs., e.g. ahead of Ohio State who laid a 0-31 egg vs. Clemson in the Fiesta Bowl semis. What if instead of "0-31" we had Deshaun Watson and Clemson vs. Sam Darnold and a resurgent Southern Cal for the right to face 'Bama?

Too bad the idiot committee didn't allow for a team to improve during the year.

But I digress: screw 2017 and no thank you slight-of-build Josh Rosen. Rosen vs. Darnold? Night and day imho.

As for USC in 2017: on one hand, they've pretty much lost their offensive line to graduation and an injury, a group that had a big hand in their Rose Bowl win over Penn St. On the other hand they play a fairly easy "away" 2017 schedule. Call it recklessly and prematurely throwing all your eggs into one basket but at this stage of the game, all bets are off: I'm now looking--by worse record or trade up--to be holding the #1 pick in the 2018 draft for this sonofabitch. I may end up 100% wrong on this one...

But I don't care anymore.

I don't want the next "Kurt Cousins." . . I want the possibility of an Aaron Rogers.

[​IMG]

#27 joe, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Brook! and boozer32 like this.
  8. boozer32

Darnold made some great throws in the Rose Bowl. That was one of the best games I've watched in a long time. I'm a USC fan and will be watching this kid. I could see the last game of the year the Jets are 0-15 and Bowles coaches the game of his life as he knows he will be fired, then we miss out on Darnold for the #1 pick.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I don't want to hi-jack this Peterman thread any further but in your Murphy's Law scenario you pick up the phone and get it done. Again, by hook or crook.

10. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think if Peterman drops to the comp pick in the third they should consider him because even if Peterman becomes a quality backup that's important to have as witnessed in 2016. The Pats did not miss a beat with Garapolo ...If he has the smarts to beat out hack and petty to even backup a FQB we find next year it's still a good pick.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.