Zak DeOssie

Discussion in 'Draft' started by hwismer, Apr 19, 2007.

1. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Big Cotch is not a bastard.

Big Cocth is God of all football knowledge.

2. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

A.) Dude, calm down. He's saying that in the same way you'd call a comedian "one funny S.O.B." You're not insulting the comedian but rather complimenting one how he would make you laugh.

B.) You weren't registered here when we signed KVO, Kassel, or Chatham, or traded for Barlow (you registered Jan. '07 while all these happened in the summer '06 or earlier). I respect your opinions and everything and you've been a good poster since you've joined because you are typically against the grain, but don't make shit up to try and back up your case.

3. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

I was registered under another name

4. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Dude, I'm wrong quite a bit, and don't have a problem admitting it-- last year I was screaming about not getting John Scott, and Rod Wright-- I was also screaming about not getting Mark Anderson, and Elvis Dumerville.

I do know what I'm talking about most of the time, and even if my opinions are different, I back them up. You won't catch me getting excited about a guy one year, and throwing the move under the bus the next year, like most people on this site. You also won't catch me praying that we sign adalious thomas, only to start a thread 10 minutes after the pats sign him, saying he's an overpaid bum, who won't cut it without Ray Lewis next to him.

I'll tell you what-- there are about 6 names that have been talked about as the Jets 1st rounder- if we don't get one of them I will be upset-- However, I am pretty sure that if we were to take a guy like Eric Weddle at 25-- most people on here would convince themselves that it was a good pick. I would stand my ground, and hate the pick. I don't flip flop, I don't make the sour grapes threads, and I don't just accept what my team does regardless. I have my opinions, and right or wrong, I value them.

5. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

I'm obviously pissed because of the warning I got for calling a spade a spade-- Mods are up my ass, while I get called a bastard for stating my opinion about some guy I don't care to pick up a round early. So because the guy puts in a thumbs up, I have to be cool with it, but I say someones post is "garbage" and I get an official warning.

6. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

I now like your updated mock even better BTW, that's golden.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It was clear he was just kidding by the symbols he used after...

Lighten up.

8. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Fair enough, I had no idea.

Although I can't vouch for anyone else, I do see other people letting the same opinion be known in certain threads and I have no idea whether or not they get warnings. If they don't, you absolutely have a point. However, I still think baamf said what he did in good nature and was not in any way an insult.

Thanks man.

9. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Ok- just had an exchange with Murrel in private-- all is good, just got pissed because I came home to a warning, and then overreacted to the post.

10. Force

Force New Member

Kind of Off Topic, but who are the 6 or so guys that you would like to take with our 1st round pick?

11. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

Well, I wasn't saying I wanted all 6 guys, but the 6 that are most talked about on here are probably Blalock, Olsen, Houston, Spencer, Ross, and Revis- with a few suggesting WR, or maybe Pozlusney. Just a number I picked off the top of my head, probably more like 8-10 guys have been talked about as somewhat realistic possibilities. I was just saying that I have a feeling they will shock us all, and take some guy like Weddle who nobody talked about but me-- then the bandwagon will be overflowing with Weddle fans, while I will be scorned for not loving the pick. I think that will be the case- and they will reach for someone who is in that mold. I live in fear that they will take Weddle, DeOssie, or Leonard with the 25th pick-- I see it as such a possibility based on the third round from last year. I hope I am wrong, and they go with one of the obvious selections that we have all mentioned as first rounders. Hope they don't trade up for Revis either-- I don't want to trade up at all- we can't go wrong with any of those guys listed above, and most will certainly be there when we pick. We could trade down a few spots and still land one of them, or even Grubbs, Staley or Ugoh if need be. I'm on edge big time for this draft. Last year was easy to do well- this year is much harder- and we can't afford some of the reaches like last year. I just hope we get Blalock- I've been hoping for him since last year in all honesty-- checked every day to see if he would come out. (Wanted him, Justice or McNeil for the right tackle spot, keeping A Jones on the cheap, getting Cutler and Mangold in the first)

12. Force

Force New Member

Yeah, I knew what you were talking about, I just worded the question ackwardely. As far as reaching for a character guy, I am in total agreement. I would be extremley upset if we ended up taking someone like Leonard or Weddle. I'm a big Blalock fan as well and he is probably the guy I am pulling for most, whether we trade down or take him at #25. I also would be happy with taking Anthony Spencer even with the influx of OLB/DE's we have had this offseason.

13. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Exactly what I'm afraid of too, and what I think will happen at points during the draft (as I showed in my mock in my current thread going). We have 3 very valuable picks that happen to fall at points where we can get great talent at positions of need, but I just have this looming bad feeling about at least one of our top 3 picks being a major reach. I really hope not, and I hope Tanny has me eating crow by Saturday night.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, to get back on topic. Forget DeOssie. He is going to the Patriots. He's great friends with Belichick's daughter. They have 10 picks..case closed.

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

good, let them reach for him. he and Bruschi can go cure cancer together.

cheers

16. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Hehe . . . now, that's a great line! :up:

17. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

:rofl: Awesome

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

They'll never find a cure. Every time I go into a cancer research charity shop , all they do is sell clothes and do no research whatsoever!:lol:

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Draft preview: Seriously, DeOssie's a blue-chipper from Brown

By Clark Judge
    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10145562

When I spoke to agent Brad Blank about one of his clients in this year's draft, he suggested I call the guy the next day. But, Blank said, I should wait until late afternoon or early evening.

"Because he's working out?" I asked.

"No," said Blank. "Because he'll be in class."

[​IMG]
    Zak DeOssie opened some
    eyes with his play at the
    East-West game.

No wonder I like Zak DeOssie, one of the top linebackers in this year's draft. It's not that he's a decent football player; it's that he's a decent student, too, scheduled to graduate this May with a 3.2 GPA from Brown.

Yes, Brown University, the school that gave us JFK Jr., Lincoln Chafee, Horace Mann and not a whole lot of NFL players.

OK, so tight end Steve Jordan went there, and he had a marvelous career with Minnesota. But there are more Brown guys who make it as CEOs than there are TEs or ILBs.

That brings me back to Zak DeOssie. He was the only Ivy Leaguer to be invited to the February scouting combine and the first player ever from Brown. While that's nice and all that, DeOssie doesn't think it makes him extraordinary. Nor does he think making the jump from small-college football to the pros should make him nervous.

"I'm a competitor," he said. "The (fact that I played in the) Ivy League doesn't matter. I'm here to play. I'm here to win. I love the game. I respect it. I have a passion for it.

"So, I'm not worried about (making the jump). I don't worry about the level of competition. When you're on a football field, it's the same people and the same football."

Except it's not, and Zak DeOssie is the proof. Yes, he's a three-time All-Ivy choice who ranked eighth in the country by averaging 11.4 tackles a start. But he's also someone majoring in Public and Private Sectors of Organization and so committed to his studies that instead of quitting school this winter and going to, say, Florida or Arizona to train for the combine, he stayed at Brown and drove an hour each day to the Boston area to work out.

There, he would train with strength and conditioning coach Mike Boyle four times a week, two to three hours a day, before returning to Providence to resume his studies. He goes through the same routine now, he said, only it's down to three days.

DeOssie said it's no big deal because he takes a couple of independent study courses and can arrange his schedule. But it is a big deal. I mean, tell me how many guys ranked in the top 10 in their positions are doing something similar.

"My degree is the most important thing to me," said DeOssie. "I'm going to graduate from Brown. That was my No. 1 priority. Everything after college is going to be a bonus for me."

You don't have to convince me. What Zak DeOssie has to do is convince 32 NFL teams, and mission accomplished.

"This guy's a good player," said an NFC scout. "Forget about where he played or whom he played against. He's a good football player."

DeOssie should be a second-day draft pick who makes an opening-day roster and contributes on special teams -- particularly if he long snaps, which he can do. At 6-4?, he might be too tall to play inside, but one AFC linebackers coach I spoke to said he doesn't see that as a problem and believes DeOssie can play inside or out.

The important thing, he said, is that DeOssie can play at any level, which he demonstrated at the East-West Shrine Game.

"I knew I could play at this level," he said. "It was just a matter of convincing everyone else. I had a great time in the East-West game and felt I belonged there. When you're a small-school type, you go in there with a stereotype. I went in there as an underdog and just wanted to do well."

DeOssie has been around the NFL much of his life. His father, Steve, had a 12-year career in the NFL with the Giants, Jets, Cowboys and Patriots, and Zak -- a high school quarterback -- served as a ball boy at the New England Patriots' training camp.

In fact, coach Bill Belichick once made him the quarterback in a seven-on-seven drill, with DeOssie stepping in for Rohan Davey -- then the team's No. 3 quarterback. Davey had gone home for a funeral.

"I went in there for seven reps," DeOssie said. "Threw a couple of seeds. No completions."

Now you want to see the guy hit one. And he will. Someone will draft him, and someone will be overjoyed with the pick. Guaranteed. Of course, that someone will be Zak DeOssie, who conceded he's "anxious" to get this whole draft thing over with and move on to his next career.

"It doesn't matter who I play for," he said. "I'll play a 3-4 or 4-3, I don't care. I'll play for an expansion team in Hawaii. Whatever they want me to do I'll do it. I'm just happy to have been playing for as long as I have been, and I want to keep playing."

Trust me, he will.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Hot prospects
    Last update: April 25, 2007 ? 6:48 PM
    Zak DeOssie
    Brown linebacker

Strengths: Size (6-4, 250), strength and the kind of instincts you'd expect from the son of Steve DeOssie, who played linebacker for 12 years for the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, New York Jets and New England Patriots.

Weaknesses: There are questions about his ability to make the leap from the Ivy League to the NFL, given his limited athleticism and level of college competition.

We don't want to suggest Zak DeOssie already has a leg up on his peers in this year's NFL draft. Then again ...

He used to be Tom Brady's personal ballboy. He's got that household NFL last name, thanks to dad Steve's Super Bowl XXV ring with the Giants. And, oh yeah, he considers Amanda Belichick his "best friend."

Amanda is the daughter of you know who, Bill Belichick, who coached Steve back in the day.

When you're Amanda Belichick's best friend, and you're a strong-as-an-ox 6-4, 250-pound linebacker/long snapper, doors tend to open. DeOssie was the first player from Brown ever invited to the NFL scouting combine. He ran a 4.59, impressed many teams and might even sneak into the first day of the draft.

The Sporting News projects him as the third-round draft pick of the New York Jets, who, of course, are coached by Amanda's father's prot?g?, Eric Mangini. He also could go to Cleveland, where he'd play with Willie McGinest, who played with his dad. Or Belichick could grab him since his New England Patriots need more youth at outside linebacker, where DeOssie might end up after playing inside in Brown's 4-4 defense.

"That would be a dream come true," said DeOssie, who grew up in North Andover, Mass., and attended Phillips Academy, where Belichick also went to school. "I like to think of him as a family friend and keep the football thing separate. But I owe him a lot. He used to teach me how to throw the ball in high school when [DeOssie was a quarterback]."

Once, when Patriots No. 3 quarterback Rohan Davey missed practice to attend a funeral, Belichick put the young DeOssie in the offense for a 7-on-7 drill.

"I think he was joking," DeOssie said. "I went in for seven reps. Threw a couple of seeds. No completions. The defense was licking its chops. It certainly was funny."

DeOssie went to Brown as a safety, but kept growing. He had other options coming out of high school, but never thought going to an Ivy League school would hurt his NFL chances.

"If you're good enough, you can make it," DeOssie said. "They'll find you."

Especially if they already know you.

MARK CRAIG