Zach Wilson: Year End Grade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

?

Your Year End Grade for Zach Wilson

1. A+ to A-

0.9%
  2. B+ to B-

19.6%
  3. C+ to C-

53.3%
  4. D

23.4%
  5. F

2.8%
  1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Two QB had almost the exact same rookie year. One is Zach. Can you guess who the other is?

Record 3-10
    213 / 383 for 2334 yards
    9 TDs / 11 INTS
    QBR - 69.7

Record 3-10
    217 / 393 for 2278 yards
    11 TDs / 14 INTS
    QBR - 66.7

Hint - it ain't Peyton Manning.

#141 ouchy, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Y.A Tittle?

cval likes this.
  3. bicketybam

Wait. Johnny Unitas?

cval likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

No but your, not close:

Record 3-10
    213 / 383 for 2334 yards
    9 TDs / 11 INTS
    QBR - 69.7
    Zach Wilson
    [​IMG]

Record 3-10
    217 / 393 for 2278 yards
    11 TDs / 14 INTS
    QBR - 66.7
    Josh Rosen
    [​IMG]

BrowningNagle and Br4d like this.
  5. bicketybam

Todd Marinovich?

Acad23 likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Zach gets somewhere between an Inc and an F depending on whether I am the good guy professor or the guy who just wants to see a passing grade.

I give him a little benefit of the doubt on the fact that he should not have been on the field this season. I shovel a little bit of his F over into Joe Douglas column, turning that into an F-.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rosen was a better prospect, albeit not an NFL caliber QB.

With him it was definitely a social thing. He was just a bad leader for a group of men not born with a silver spoon in their mouths like he was.

BTW, he'd probably be a good add for camp competition for Zach next year alongside White.

Odds are pretty good Zach couldn't beat him out and the coaches would wind up going with White in the end as the guy who might actually LEAD the team.

ouchy likes this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Remember how terrible Darnold was last season. Lets compare to Zach this year.

Sam Darnold's 3rd Year vs Zach Wilson's rookie year:

Record 2-10 vs 3-10
    217 / 364 for 2208 yards vs 213 / 383 for 2334 yards
    9 TDs / 11 INTS vs 9 TDs / 11 INTs
    QBR - 72.7 vs 69.7

Amazing parody from last season. They had almost he exact same season, and both finished last in the league.

This was Sam's rookie season:

Record 4-9
    239 / 414 for 2865 yards
    17 TDs / 15 INTS
    QBR - 77.6

#148 ouchy, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Lord I hope not... but I can see it.

He's got to take a better command of the offense... that will get the respect from team mates.
    I think Zach is a bit overwhelmed... coming to a big city team with a losing history... lots of expectation placed squarely on his shoulders.

Factor in the rookie coaching staff and the shit 3rd tier talent on offense... an O-line that flat out sucks and a defense that's sub-par on a good day.
    Even with the all that, he's still got a lot to prove and improve on. His numbers are horrid... and like you've said, his leadership deserves to be scrutinized.

But take a look at the touchdown pass to Cole... there's talent there.
    Is there enough to get us a Lombardi? I don't know... but I think we'll have some answers this time next year.

I'm actually less high on Zach than I was early on in the season... I don't think he's improved enough.

ouchy likes this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Troy Aikman?

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I can guarantee that his numbers will be better than Josh's year 2.

PJ4Ever and bicketybam like this.
  12. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

B-

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is debating that Zach had a bad season statistically. The point most of us who are encouraged are making is that Zach improved and drastically cut down TOs in the last 3d of the season. Hasn't thrown a pick in last 5 games, and since the first game after return from injury, for the last 6 games of the season, Zach scored 7 TDs to 2 TOs. Rosen in the same span had 1 TD and 6 TOs to end the season. Zach's trajectory is completely different than that of Rosen. The opposite actually. What's more remarkable is that Zach did this with complete lack of supporting cast. Decimated OLine, bottom dweller WRs no one has ever heard of.

This is a classic example where stats don't tell the whole story. JD needs to give him more weapons next year and further improve Oline, and then we can really find out whether he is Rosen or a real FQB. Right now throwing Rosen's stats given the improvements Zach made after the injury in spite of terrible talent around him, is meaningless.

#153 Borat, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    PJ4Ever, KingRoach, Noam and 4 others like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cardinals had the balls to move on from Rosen after that season. Jets are gonna be too afraid to even bring in "competition"

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's almost as if it's far more concerning if a guy is playing that badly at the end of his third year vs. in his rookie season.

Borat likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Perhaps the posters who need the mental health breaks the most are the ones who think looking reality in the face rather than creating their own fantasy is what is sad. 4 - 13 is reality; 55.6% completions on the season is reality; the worst offensive performance in 61 years is reality but they see it as progress and that reality is what is a big negative.

What makes this board near unreadable is the pie in the sky attitudes of guys who want to drive the bandwagon down Main Street when it is already littered with bodies. Worse, they expect those not blinded by false hopes to hop on board too. The guys who proclaimed for almost a year that a new young team with a new young coaching staff was the key to success and could not bear to even read the comments of those who just wanted to give it some time to see what developed before celebrating.

How about the guy who drove that bandwagon with the blasting horns until it ran into some losses for the very reasons he claimed as the road to success and then threw the entire staff off the wagon and tried to run them over? Yeah, that guy, who was here every day but then disappeared every time the team showed what they were lacking only to return every time the team put together a couple of quarters of decent play and won a game or two. Yeah, the guy who then jumped back on, picked up the stragglers, revved up the band and put on the green glasses that refuses to see the reality of the situation?

It was a miserable season, but everybody gets to do it again next year. Same. Old. Jets.

IIMeanDeanII and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I didn't realise Rosen had been that good tbh ;)

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I want whatever you're smoking.

PJ4Ever and KingRoach like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It does not matter what Br4d thinks or Ralebird or Browning or Bickety or myself. This was always a building year and a growth year. Zach needs to take a step is as well as the entire offense.

Zach is 22 years old and looks like a pop star and seems a lot are judging his leadership because of this. All signs point to his teammates having faith in him so we will see.

Ultimately it comes down to Zach. His rookie numbers do not mean anything. I was looking if he passed the eye test and if he would not fold under the pressure. I think he passed both.

It is now up to him. With a year in the system and he should have better talent around him ( even if we stay status quo the talent will be better). He now has to take the next step. No matter the BS spewed here he will get that chance amd succeed or fail.

He is not to short, he is very physically gifted and he is not a spoiled rich kid. (I don't think he grew up rich, he was middle class). The kid had to fight to get recruited , he had to fight to keep his job in college and will have to fight to get better in the NFL. He keeps passing these test hopefully he passes this one.

He has to step up and we will all see if he can. If he does not it will be another long season.

20. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I think Zach did well. Honestly I don't think I've ever seen a rookie have more touchdowns than turnovers? Zach had 12 total turnovers. If you had told me that before the season started I would have called you out as lying. The ball security is a very good thing to possess. I also love how he stopped missing wide open receivers. For a while that was truly an angering situation but he fought through it. I think this Jets team believed in Zach and I'm happy to watch his growth.