Zach Wilson vs Patriots: A Breakdown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Sep 26, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's a win-win. Either Zach plays better (ha) or Saleh can go to JD and say, "See, this is what happens when we try to run an actual NFL offense with this guy. Go get me literally anyone else to be QB."

Jets79 likes this.
  2. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I posted this in the other thread. It's not the oline.

[​IMG]

TheAustrian likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This is just week 3 right? I saw one prior to the game that he was head and shoulders above everyone else over weeks 1 + 2

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

At this point, what else do they have.... best case they catch 'em off guard, worst case they lose by 21 instead of 10...

5. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

According to the tweet I got it from, this is for all of 2023, not just week 3.

https://twitter.com/Ihartitz/status/1706684949909176613

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So when Orlovsky says the same thing I'm saying is he blaming other people?

Maybe Zach can't process fast enough, but I don't think so. But if that's really true then the Jets have no business paying him at QB. But there are times when he engineers a nice drive and hits tight windows, so to me that shows he can process fast enough. What's the problem then? FOr one, I think they give him the wrong types of plays to run. For two, he's been so conditioned to not make mistakes that he second guesses himself - as Orlovsky (and me) have said.

Give a game plan suited to his strengths - one reads, RPOs, roll outs, some deep shots early in the game, hurry up/no huddle - and I think he'll do much better. He really can't do much worse. And no I'm not saying go pass happy and abandon the run, but throw more often especially on 1st down. The Chiefs will absolutely be expecting the Jets to do their usual Run-Run-Pass offense, so how about reversing that, or at least mix the script up more.

He's so mentally screwed up right now I think he's broken, but what do have to lose?

cval, stinkyB and Jets79 like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Too true.
    And it's probably why he bails out of the pocket so frequently.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Does anyone care that I had a breakdown myself? No? OK, later.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How many more games or seasons should be wasted away waiting for the results to change? I think we're going on game 26 now so let's stop talking about game one.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The dude has had THREE breaks in "leading" the team to "reset"....

11. ColoradoContrails

Just because someone calls it a "reset" doesn't mean it actually was. Even this last attempt - in which they actually tried to do something to help him by letting MLF walk, signing Hackett, and trading for Rodgers - blew up when Rodgers went down after one series. Those other two "resets" weren't anything of the kind, they were just benign neglect, with the Jets hoping that somehow just sitting on the bench would turn the lightbulb on. Has that ever worked, for anyone? Rarely, if ever.

If you don't change the conditions that resulted in failure, and simply reinsert the person back into those same conditions, what do you think will happen?

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He will show his true colors.

joe likes this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm actually pretty surprised that the self-sack didn't get more run than it did. That shit made buttfumble look better in comparison. .

papapump, stinkyB and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

What do I know about quarterbacking but it's looked to me going back to last year that no kind of sitting/coaching/mentoring is going to help Zach Wilson. I think the one thing that might help him at this point would be to play as many games as possible in a more low pressure league. He's not an idiot and has all the physical tools. He just needs to sling it more and get a better feel for what works and what doesn't. Like live fire training. Some sustained success might do wonders as well.

There is no such thing and its not possible unfortunately. But I think that would be the biggest help to him. One more year of college would probably have been a good idea as well.

15. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

If a defense knows that you can't throw into coverage or into a tight window, they're going to eat you alive.

TheAustrian likes this.
  16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Bill Parcells famously said to Phil Simms prior to a playoff game …
    “If you don’t throw two interceptions today, you’re not trying”,
    The clowns running our circus are imbedding the exact OPPOSITE message into Zach’s head and into the play calling. They are a biggest problem on this team.

17. ColoradoContrails

I agree. The "Law of 10,000 repetitions" is a real thing: Do something 10,000 times and you become expert at it. It brings to mind a favorite saying of mine by Will Rogers: "Experience may be the best teacher, but the best way to get experience is to make mistakes". I'm sure we can all attest to having learned our strongest lessons by making a mistake. So yes, it would help Zach to be able to go out and play and make mistakes without having to think it's the end of the world when he makes one. But as you noted, there's not a lot of options for doing that. He sure isn't going to get any slack playing in the biggest media market in the world for success starved fans.

That was actually my biggest concern in drafting him out of BYU. And on balance I actually think he's done better than I thought he would in handling that pressure, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been affected by it. Even seasoned pros destined for the HOF can be affected by it. But the bottom line is you either handle it successfully and thrive, or you fail. Since he's still the starter as of today, he hasn't officially "failed", but he's on the brink. If he does get cut or traded, maybe he can get a little more room to make those mistakes and eventually learn to succeed, maybe like Geno did. For now though, if he has any chance of succeeding, he needs to reach deep and find the strength and focus to play without fear. I hope he can, but I'm not betting on it.

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

They run no huddle and have a couple 3 and outs then the defense gets gassed quicker than usual.

Not saying they shouldn’t try it but it really is a double edged sword.

19. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

At least MLF tried to utilize Berrios in the run game to keep the defense honest. Why is Cobb always the slot when you can run sweeps with Hardman or Gipson? If the defense is never going to respect Zach, why not mix it up and give them something to think about?

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Why did we get rid of Berrios again?

DetroitRed likes this.