Zach Wilson scheduled to start against Pittsburgh Steelers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Sep 28, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Excellent post! This is exactly how Zach should be evaluated.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yea I want to see those things as well

I also agree stats can be misleading, but more so over a limited time span (say a few games or so), but over a long enough span of games they tell you what the player is. Zach needs time, and this year he has a much better group of weapons, though I expect his OL will be shaky as shit this week. But by seasons end he needs to show real improvement… not just in the eye test but in the real numbers…can’t have a 55% completion rate, needs to have a solid TD to pick rate, and he needs to be throwing for more than the 170 or so yards per game he averaged last year.

3. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Realistically, it will take a game or two for Zach to shake the rust off. Trevor Lawrence is off to a great start, but his first game of the season had a QB rating of 57, and he wasn't working his way back from a month off. As a second year QB who has been out for a month, he'll make a bunch of mistakes this game and next. I'll give him a couple games to work through it before starting any serious evaluation about whether he's taken a leap forward for year 2. My only goal for Zach's next two games is for him to start shaking the rust off, don't get hurt, and try to find a rhythm for game 6 and beyond.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

No TJ Watt, so that at least takes away 4 sacks. Ok so the Steelers will sack Zach for a Jets team conservative 6 times.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nice way of looking at it. I think Zach benefited from his three games on the sidelines, some from what did work, but mostly by what didn’t work with Joe.

azhar80 and Noam like this.
  6. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

This is fair, but also apologist. It gives you breathing room if Zach sucks. He needs to have a decent game as a manager and have a chance to win the game in the fourth quarter.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And even Trevor had a rough first game, then gradually improved. Zach will be rusty on Sunday. I am hoping he does not make too many mistakes and has a solid outing, and a W, not unlike first Trevor's game this year. And then improve as the season goes along.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Duane Brown comes back from injury in week five.

This week we will have some guy off the street starting at tackle.

We take our young QB coming off an injury and throw him to the wolves this week instead of waiting for the cavalry to arrive.

I hope our coaches believe that Zach is 100 percent and has a plan to protect him instead of using him as a hail mary to save their jobs.

This could go horribly wrong in so many ways.

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Why aren’t you posting more CC? Missed your posts my friend.

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Most exciting thing for me, besides seeing how Wilson performs, is seeing how much the playcalling changes with him under center.

Expecting lots more bootlegs, moving pockets, RPOs, etc.

Brook!, Cman68 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This offense needs to find a way to put up 20 points and the defense needs come to play

Run the ball , milk the clock, stuff Tribinsky.

I see at least one off schedule play for a big gain.

Brook!, KY Jets Fan and Nyjets4eva like this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm expecting Breece and MC to have, at least, 15 rushes a piece.

Also expecting the D to sell out to stop Harris and make Trubisky win the game for the Steelers. I think Sauce and DJ can handle Johnson, Claypool, Pickens, etc. so I think we'll see a lot of 8-9 man boxes.

cval likes this.
  13. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Saleh should be posting this on the locker room bulletin board every day leading up to the game:

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/jets/wormley-takes-shot-at-zach-wilsons-alleged-love-of-cougars?utm_campaign=www.audacy.com%2Fwfan&utm_content=1664466103&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=WFAN-AM&fbclid=IwAR13bICOTQF35JZE93Hue5Ug10DP2w3Ai2fSZUHLOe0VuKe30DD4Th530rg

"The Steelers’ Chris Wormley got jokes.

The second-team defensive end had some fun at New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson’s expense.
    “I think Zach Wilson has a lot of talent, second year guy, you know he likes to get after the cougars it seems like in his free time,” Worley said on “The Sick Podcast: The Chris Wormley & Friends Show”.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

* he is eligible to return week 5. There hasn’t been any word one way or the other whether he is healthy enough to return. I wouldn’t pencil him in yet.

James Hasty and Jets79 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Mainly because we're busy planning to move, but also because I got tired of going round and round over the same tired arguments - I decided to wait and see what happens.

I'm still hopeful but some of the decisions by Douglas and Saleh have left me wondering if they're really the answer. I'm more certain that Douglas is than Saleh, but I need to see some real evidence that they've got the team going in the right direction - I don't mean "flashes", I mean consistent good play, not necessarily wins (though of course that would be nice), but close games, few mistakes, a sense that everyone knows what they're doing. And of course I need to see Zach take that next big step that I believe he can, but hasn't yet done.

So, yeah, watching and waiting.

NYJFOREVER, Ralebird, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I believe Brown started doing work on the side last week during practice. Some positive news but nothing other than that. In fact the Jets have been really really quiet on the entire Brown injury releasing almost no information. I would imagine if his return was imminent there may not have been such a rush to sign every practice squad OT available this last week.

James Hasty likes this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What is even funny about that btw?

Acad23 likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Watching. Waiting. Commiserating.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yea. I’m not optimistic about his return right now either.

Noam likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Once again, excellent thought out process. You will not get any disagreement from me. My concern about evaluating the factors in bold in particular hinders not just on his mental and physical readiness, but on the OL being able to provide at least adequate containment, particularly at the LT position. Im extremely concerned that we are bringing Wilson back when we are down to our third stringer tackle, with whom he has very little familiarity, has no idea what to expect in a real game, and if the last game is an indication, he will not have much time at all with the pass rush on the left side. He needs to trust the position and do his thing, but I cant help but think in the back of his mind he will compensate his play to accommodate the OL weaknesses. I hope I'm dead wrong.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.