Zach Wilson reached out to former Jets QBs to discuss being Jets QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFan20, Apr 22, 2021.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Might be a better option than the James Morgan-inspired name I was thinking.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO, the two most crucial tools to help a rookie QB are a superior OL and a solid defense to keep us in the game. The way this year draft unfolds will tell us plenty as to how JD wants to build this team.

SOJAZ, Jets_Grinch and patleahy like this.
  3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Well-said, LAJet. Couldn't agree more, ESP on the first point, in bold.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks, by the way, I'm not minimizing the need for weapons like WR and RB, but without a top OL first is for not. And without a stout D, you put the QB behind the power curve too much and force him off the baseline game plan.

PJ4Ever, SOJAZ and patleahy like this.
  5. patleahy

exactly. no minimization was assumed, LAJet. It all starts on the OL. if a rookie QB (or any QB for that matter BUT ESP a rookie) doesn't have time to throw or feel secure in a stable pocket, he is DOOMED. That is why I want to go OL with our next two pics after we select Zach at 2.

PJ4Ever and Footballgod214 like this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He looks like he should be in a boy band.

papapump, Jets81 and abyzmul like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Love this story about Wilson. He will always be prepared. That is great to see. He seems smart too. Now he needs to be able to read NFL defenses and stay healthy. If he does that, I think the Jets will be in great shape.

Noam, ColoradoContrails and patleahy like this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What is going on with Cameron Clark? Does this kid have potential to break into the starting lineup?

9. patleahy

Couldn't agree more. I have confidence in his ability to read NFL defenses due to his obvious intelligence AND maturity. I think the only legitimate concern about Zach would be his durability, given the shoulder issue and his slight frame. That is why so many of us what to go OL right after Zach....we HAVE to do everything we can to keep him upright and comfortable in the pocket.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This and This.

And with Zack's #1 red flag dealing with durability, JD really has no choice but going all in on a great o-line.

Zach will never withstand the beating Sam took his first 3 years. Get it fixed!

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think in the modern era physically being able to make all the throws and the fitting balls in NFL windows via arm strength and accuracy is the key for early success. Reading NFL defenses is the key to sustainable success. The latter comes with time, development and stability from both a personnel and scheme standpoint, all things that are usually fruits of at least moderate early success especially in a market like NY. With the rookie scale making it easy to reset QB contracts like never before, it’s paramount that young QBs show promise early. All that to say assuming the pool of QB prospects you are choosing from meet a certain level of mental aptitude, the physical ability IMO should hold more weight than the ability to “read” college defenses, go through progressions, process...etc. Note I’m not diminishing the importance of these things, just saying the ability to get the ball where you want to with accuracy is more important. Sorry for the tangent but the bold triggered this thought.

12. patleahy

^^^My own emphasis added for effect. AMEN to that! :):)

SOJAZ and Footballgod214 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it really doesn't. You obviously haven't paid attention to the Jets or the NFL in general. NOTHING benefits a young QB like a great OL, and topnotch skill position players around him, NOTHING!

PJ4Ever likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Gotta respectfully disagree with you. IMO the two most crucial tools to help a rookie QB are a superior OL and topnotch weapons/skill position players around him. IMO relatively speaking, the defense is completely irrelevant.

15. NCJetsfan

Again, I disagree. It's up to the OC and HC to decide about the baseline game plan, not the QB. You see what the kid can do, but you don't fret about the W-L in a season like this. It's about developing the prospect. Those games can actually be great learning situtations for the QB. IMO the only thing that would frustrate a young QB more than having to run for his life on every snap is having receivers that can't get open or who drop passes that should have been caught, and he needs a solid rushing attack so too much pressure isn't put upon him.

#55 NCJetsfan, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Choose wisely...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Capt. Morgan?

#57 Cman68, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Footballgod214 and BroadwayAaron like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm sure talking to Sam will have Wilson hyped to come here.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I respect your views. We do agree on the OL first. It will be a good topic of discussion about the team improved strenghts and remaining weaknesses after the draft is over.

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I think he will adjust to the NFL game. What I don't want is a guy with a ton of arm talent that either doesn't know where to throw the ball or wilts under defensive pressure. I've said this before and it's worth repeating. The Jets play in a division with some great defensive teams that know how to pressure the QB. Being able to handle that pressure is paramount and being able to throw a ball through a cement wall doesn't mean very much if you can't.

Noam, The Dark Knight, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.