Zach Wilson (MERGED) - New Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don’t understand this. This idea that people want Zach to be a bust. I’d love to not have to worry about QB for one off-season. Nobody wanted Zach to fail. All everyone wants is a legitimate QB, that can go out there and either win games, or not be the reason games are lost. Zach lost two of the last three games here. He follows that up for being a child in the post game. Those were two huge games against NE that had serious playoff implications. And I’d say the Jets were the better team in both games.

In my opinion, this is a Super Bowl caliber defense right now. The Jets are in the thick of the playoff race, with some winnable games in front of them. If the coaches think Mike White gives them a better chance to win, it would be irresponsible of them to not make this change. Not to mention it could be a huge boost for the locker room, which is understandably low on Zach right now.

Now having said all that, it’s not like Mike White is a stud or anything. He could go out there, throw up a stinker and we’re back to the drawing board and Zach’s the starter by Christmas. I absolutely believe Saleh meant what he said, regarding Zach’s return this year.

Most people here just want to win games. Whatever form it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cidusii, SOJAZ, Snatch Catch and 5 others like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think ZW is as good as Josh Rosen. And I don't think Josh Rosen is good.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree. If there was a do over today, Fields goes top 2, 100%. Unfortunately though there are no do overs. We got Zach, and more likely than not he will compete with a vet for starting job next year. Fields is unquestioned starter.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

No. The odd part Is there are actually posters who are electing to defend the indefensible. I have forced myself to jump on board, to eat crow, and to root for the kid for as long as I possibly could. I wanted nothing more than for Zach Wilson to be a true FQB for all of us. It hasn't panned out. Nothing suggests It will right now.

The last thing I want, Is to continue to make silly excuses for the kid just to watch the same narrative next season, which then ultimately gets everyone canned.. Fuck that.

We have the right people In this building, I don't want to see that lost and I don't want to pretend either. If It quacks like a duck, it's probably a fucking duck.

Cidusii, SOJAZ, Snatch Catch and 6 others like this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Love the move to make Wilson inactive and love the move to start White. Kudos to Saleh.

Wilson needs to get back to basics if he has any hopes of remaining a starting QB. Needs to drill footwork especially. Not setting his feet is what's leading to the overthrows. This is a situation where having a strong arm can be a detriment, because QBs with strong arms think they can get by without proper fundamentals.

SOJAZ, Borat, Acad23 and 2 others like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Lets be fair TDK. When people were expressing concerns about Zach some of his supports started saying, "its because they hate the Jets". That was a low blow to longtime fans.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I use experts to support my own opinions, as most good posters do. I'm not an expert and have never claimed to be. Even on this board I've regularly deferred to or credited others who I believe have more knowledge than I do. Maybe I am being stubborn about Zach. but I don't think so. It may not be much, but one of the biggest things that has made me stick with my assessment of him is my assessment of Mahomes - which I came to after legler brought him to our attention - and how many people downplayed him, even a lot of "experts". In saying that I'm NOT saying that Zach is as good as Mahomes, but I AM saying that he has similar qualities and athletic ability even if not quite at that level. I'm still pissed that Maccagnan passed on Mahomes, but after seeing how this board and a lot of Jets fans in general have once again trashed a young QB and shown no patience for his development, Mahomes would've likely failed here too, especially with the CS we had then.

And if I'm allowing too many experts speak for me, I think too many here are allowing the stats to speak for them instead of taking into account the whole picture. Zach doubters are so quick to "prove" he's a bust because "No one with his stats has ever succeeded", and yet when I point to someone like Josh Allen as someone who had similar stats and succeeded I'm discounted. Sure, historically guys who have struggled like Zach has do fail, or at best become career backups, but not all do. And again, how many of them possessed his physical attributes? Those don't "grow on trees".

Based on Saleh's presser they still believe Zach can be the FQB they envisioned when they drafted him. Maybe that's just P.R. bullshit, but I don't think so, and I hope not. They need to work at getting Zach's mechanics fixed, but they also need to reassess what they they're asking him - and the the rest of the offense to do. Maybe they shouldn't be employing a blocking scheme that gets so many OL hurt - especially Becton. Maybe they should be drawing up different pass routes that take less time to develop and are easier for the QB to read. Maybe they should using more Jet sweeps and designed QB runs. To name just a few non-Zach issues.

I would've had no problem if they had taken Fields - especially if they could've traded back and still gotten him, but I still think Zach was the right pick for them. That might change, and if so I'll admit it as I have when I've been wrong in the past.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Some did. I don't believe I ever said that.

ouchy likes this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

This. It's very simple at this point.

I don't think any of us want Zach Wilson to bust out of the league. I think we all would like to see this reset be for real, to figure some shit out, develop the talent that this kid has while riding the pine, like most teams would have preferred to do back In the day. See If he can put It all together, then come In and be our Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Insert Successfully Developed QB Here....

It's honestly the ONLY chance this kid has to fulfilling the prophecy we all desire at the position.

Just because a lot of us are fed up, doesn't mean we are giving up.

We just don't want to hear the fucking excuses anymore. It Is what It is. Prove us wrong. That's It. Good post.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I watched Fields play in quite a few games, he started bad, but after a few poor games, is performing extremely well. Not unlike Josh Allen at the similar stage. It is not just running, the guy threw a lot of TDs, and got quite a few long PIs, which do not show up on the sheet, put points on the board with weak supporting cast. Basically, he is all I thought he would be at this point. I just thought Zach would be even better. Unfortunately it did not work out that way. While there is still a small chance Zach can turn things around next year as he did in BYU, and I will continue to support him, I probably would give up one of my testicles to change back the clock and have JD draft Fields if I could. I feel we are a SB contender right now with Fields on the roster.

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Lam Jones trade was in 1980. They traded two lower first rounders (one was acquired from Denver I believe for Matt Robinson) to move up to #2. In retrospect Munoz should have been the pick but the Jets OL at the time was stacked. Had Lam Jones worked out - if he been as advertised - it would of brought the Jets offense to a whole new level…..but unfortunately he busted.

12. Br4d

If there was a do-over no other QB gets taken after Lawrence in the top 10.

REVISion likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There are always concerns with any QB. Does not mean they will suck. What is your QB draft record?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

#594 ouchy, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think they both step out of bounds. That is not for them to pass judgment on people background and family matters. Its to evaluate performance on its merits.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

Listen. I don't know all the conversations you've had with others on this topic. I'm only speaking for myself.

I'm not out to prove he's a bust. I simply don't want to make excuses for what I see and what I'm basing my opinions on. He has shit the bed the majority of his career. With "some" flashes of what could be sprinkled In throughout. It hasn't been good enough.

I think any fan, true fan, wants Zach Wilson to put It together. I think It's just obvious at this point that he needs to ride the pine and develop because he's not there right now. Not even close. My hope Is that this will give Zach Wilson time to mature and develop Into the FQB we are all craving. I just think he Is someone with a ton of potential, a ton of talent, that needs time to correct some fundamentally sound things, to correct some mentally sound things as well, I'm sure.

It's just very obvious, If we were to continue letting this trend continue, there would be ZERO recovery for Zach Wilson In this situation.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think the Jets rushed him from Day 1 trying to make a PR splash. Zach wasn't ready for the NFL directly out of BYU. There should have been a Vet QB in place and Zach should have been married to a clipboard. I know that's not how its done anymore but in this case, the Jets didn't do the kid any favors. He wasn't mature enough physically, mentally or emotionally to handle the job and we're seeing the results 20 games into his career. This benching might be the best thing to happen to ZW. Teach the kid some humility amongst other quaint ideas like team first. Football first, women second.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Like I said, there is plenty to criticize for each QB. What is your draft record? Did you want the Jets to pick Allen, Watson, Mahomes? I am ready to admit at this point it's overwhelmingly likely I was wrong and we should have drafted Fields, but the only guy I know here who consistently picked FQBs is @legler82 .

Also I find this rather funny: "The one decent team he played last season was Coastal Carolina and he lost 22-17. He has no record of beating a true quality team. That is a concern." Weren't you saying that Zach's W/L record 5-2 didn't matter when he actually beat NFL quality teams, including SB favorties? Zach played well in Coastal game too, the pick was hail mary at the half.

19. Br4d

We should lock this thread temporarily until ZW is active again.

Otherwise we're just going to repeat the same old arguments already in it because there's no new input available.

Snatch Catch and Cman68 like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Good Idea..

LAJet and Br4d like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.