Zach Wilson - MERGED (All Zach Threads will be merged here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They did not even have Flacco. They traded for him in the middle of the season. They went into 2021 with Zach Wilson and Mike White at QB. That's it. I hated it then, I hate it even more now. Ridiculous. I believe the thought process was "Why waste money on a vet when this is a learning season?" However, they should have realized development and progress would be important for Zach. They let him down.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Or he’s a 23 year old kid with about 2 years experience, and yes you hope the light turns on for him.

Really no need to let him go unless he’s Rosen bad in the locker room/field or they would have been let him go.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

This maybe correct…I was curious of the decision to throw him to the wolves and hopes he can swim…and he’s shown he can’t.

Doesn’t mean this is the final product. Adjust and correct it…give him what he needs if you still have faith.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Is there a reason that Zach Wilson isn't starting the last game?

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I thought I read a quote from Saleh yesterday that said they were determined to develop Zach through hell or high water. I don't think he's going anywhere.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’d let Zach play. What’s the downside?

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Saleh also said Wilson should go to the beach and read a book so I'm thinking he might just be answering questions and not really giving indication of his true plans. He also might be unemployed in a week

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sorry DK ..always have respected and liked what you said.. Florio is right Zach should make room for a couple of real QBs ..I AM FUCKIN TIRED OF WAITING for "improvement" Jesus H Christ..I want QB NOW that can lead this team go get a Vet like the Lions and Minnesota did

But there's a big disconnect here..I have lost faith in Wilson MLF Saleh and our GM who drafted Zach

Sure I was hopeful about ZW ..we ALL were and despite all the coaching on and off practice field he STILL suxs

So "whatever it takes to fix it" is RS new mantra?? lmao. Plenty has already been invested smh and BTW is Saleh back here as HC ??..yuk

Do you really want to see ZW behind center ..again and again ?

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Unless the High Water from Hell Wins:rolleyes:

ouchy likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree

Wilson should play. So should other young guys - Sherwood at LB instead of Mosely, Mims instead of Davis at WR, Ruckert at TE, Jermaine Johnson instead of Carl Lawson, Davis at safety, Clemons at DE.

The game does not matter. If the vets are upset they shoulda showed up for the Seattle game and made it relevant

11. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

i wouldn’t mind doing this tbh let them get some burn and game exp it’s one game but still might be good to see what they do

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think ZW has enough talent to be a QB in the NFL.

There are too many things that he can't do and those outweigh the few that he does well.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Quinnen Williams watches the debacle from the sidelines and is writing the memo to his agent in his mind: anywhere but here. The management of this team is loco.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

There's also the not so small amount of guaranteed money Wilson got on his rookie deal. The FO and Woody will never sign off on just throwing that money away. I suspect this has more to do with Wilson's contract than Wilson's potential.

stinkyB and Acad23 like this.
  15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

This wouldn’t be the straw that broke the camel’s back on that front. Come on.

16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

d'oh, i completely forgot about that. completely ridiculous from all ends

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

They have lost faith in his mental & emotional capacity to play.

This is bad.

Since1969 likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What I meant was Florio acting like Saleh is BSing the media for trade value for Zach and that Zach should not want to be in New York. I find that negative and likely incorrect.

As for wanting Zach behind center, I definitely do if he figures it out. The Jets can't bank on it, so I agree they should sign a veteran to compete and likely start in 2023. I would like to give Zach more time though.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like what's finally coming out is that the Jets did indeed screw up Zach's development. I think what happened was that they saw a kid who was bright and a film junkie, and who soaked up knowledge, and they saw him put together a great season at BYU, all of which was coupled with the fact that he has great physical ability. And when he got to the Jets he jumped right into the film study, reportedly was often the last to leave the facility at night, even after the coaches, and the Jets took all of this and said: "Man! This kid is ready to start right now!" before ever seeing him play in live, regular season action. And it was when he finally had to face defenses playing for real, at NFL speed that his struggles began, and once that happened he never really could get his feet under him.

If the Jets had signed a decent vet QB so that Zach could've sat and learned for that first year, and if they had hired a successful QB Coach after Greg Knapp was killed, I feel certain that a whole different outcome would've happened.

But here's the most troubling thing: It's possible that JD and his scouts and evaluators simply misjudged Zach's abilities to be successful in the NFL. Frankly I don't think they did, I think they did get it right. But the biggest failure, with huge long term consequences is that they failed to put in place a successful plan to develop their #2 overall pick, because this shows that they haven't learned anything from the previous failures of other Jets regimes who had the exact same failure. And something that Florio said in the video about suggesting that Woody might look at the Geno situation and say: "I don't want Zach Wilson to turn into another Geno Smith on us, where we gave up on a guy who eventually becomes an All Pro QB". With that in mind, IF that's what Woody is thinking, I could see where he fires the whole CS and hires people he thinks can fix Zach. At a minimum I could see him firing LaFleur. In any case, the Jets continue to be a place where young QBs go to die.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Stop! Regardless of anything else involved a 23 year old is an adult in every country on earth, can be a cop, fireman or paratrooper. Now if he is immature and has not developed to the point where he is emotionally an adult, that's not on the Jets except for hiring someone not so equipped.

Cman68 and Since1969 like this.