Zach Wilson - MERGED (All Zach Threads will be merged here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ehhh.... you're half right.
    personally, I like the QB that played for the inferior program in the biggest/ toughest conference. The big dogs often mask individual deficiencies as they're stacked EVERYWHERE. I want to see the guy overcoming being shorthanded... david vs goliath

#21 stinkyB, Dec 27, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    Cman68 likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So you were a big Hackenberg guy?

My point is that nailing down a university as a no-buy on their current QB prospect because of the college they’re at based on track record is silly. USC has one successful NFL in their history and a mountain of busts including two of our own, Leinart, Marinovich, etc.

Are you out on Caleb Williams because of that?

3. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

The one guy that turned out ok from USC that you reference, I take it you mean Palmer?

This does pose the question, do we shy away from big programs -USC, BYU, Ohio state etc -when seeking our next QB due to recent bad luck?

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The point Is.

Stop looking at the school for your conclusion. You evaluate the player. Not the school.

It's common sense. I don't know how people still think this Is a sound argument to make.

Ralebird, Borat and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yeah? How much of Justin Fields have you even watched this year?

This Is a very weak and very lacking argument In a multitude of ways. It's obvious you're "analysis" Is based on no actual knowledge of the kid, you just want to throw shit at the wall and hope people will back you on It.

I'm not going to entertain you any further but I'm done calling you out too.

Namaste

6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I know the stats are similar and they were both picked at the top of the draft, but Russell just feels like the much bigger bust and it isn’t close. All the hype around him was much different. He had talent oozing out of him, could literally do anything. Huge arm, accurate, could move, was humongous, played and won at the top level in college. Zach had none of that. Zach really only has arm talent and that’s about it. Plus Russell was the first QB taken that year, number one overall. Lawrence was the first qb taken that year and had the hype Russell did, not Zach.

Since1969 likes this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I didnt say it was an exact science.... or I would be working for a NFL team, not posting on a fansite ;)

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm for assigning ZW to the Johnny Manziel category of bust--just should never had wasted a draft pick on a guy that was doomed to failure based upon a lack of fundamentals and poor psychological profile.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

As others mentioned, the school does not really matter. How many great QBs from Wyoming came out before Josh Allen? When I say pedigree, Fields has been at the spotlight for a long time. He was a 5 star HS recruit - highest rated along with Trevor. Depending on publication, they were 1 and 2 interchangeably. Trevor took over as #1 generational after freshman year when he won national championship, while Fields was benched for Georgia. But the following year Fields transferred from Georgia, and was back on top for two years in a row, leading his team to 4 team play-offs both times. This was not 1 season wonder. And he did it with passing, not running. He passed for 5400 yards and 63 TDs in Ohio St, while running for 850 and 15 TDs in two seasons. Very accurate passer too - 70% in final season. This was not Michael Vick. He was a pass first QB, very accurate, who can also run when needed. He stepped up in the highest stage too against favored Clemson throwing for 6 TDs in route to the final. This is what I mean when I say he has the pedigree. Cannot take that away from him.

At that time I thought he was a lock for the Jets, and in retrospect he should have been. I watched Zach's film after, and was blown away, so Fields wrongly dropped to #3 on my personal board, but make no mistake, when Fields started sliding, I was sweating my balls off that he does not drop to #15 to NE. Thankfully Chicago swooped in. I watched him this year, and the guy is doing what he has to do to win. I don't think he wants to run like Lamar did. He has to run, because his OLine is bad and he has no weapons. And he did well when passing too after first 6 games. He seems every bit of the guy who won that Ohio St Clemson showdown with 6 passing TDs. Imagine if he was reunited with GW. Unfortunately, that's just it, we can only imagine at this point.

NY Jets68, Jeff M and ouchy like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Steve Young was on Michael Kay show recently, and talked about Zach: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hour-3-steve-young-joins-the-show/id208643372?i=1000591343382

As you know Steve and Zach are close, and Steve has been a big advocate for Zach. Imagine my shock when Steve admitted he was wrong - and Zach should not be playing right now. Basically apologized for saying earlier Saleh mismanaged the situation. Steve's point was that he wanted Zach to play so he can improve what he calls commodity QB play, fundamental stuff. But on Thursday he noticed that Zach is not improving and doesn't have the flare at the moment. Hence it's on Zach to figure this out, and not the Jets, and he should not play until he does. He mentioned that passing of Knapp was a big factor, mentioned he would have done some things differently earlier in the development, but the current situation, the basic commodity plays, the flare, is essentially all on Zach to figure out.

He was then asked about his own situation, a fresh start when he moved from Tampa to SF, and whether the move would be beneficial for Zach. This is where I was certain he was going to say it's time to move on, because that's what happened to him! And yet he shocked me again saying the grass seems greener on the other side. He said before he moved from Tampa, he figured commodity things out, he had the flare in Tampa already. He goes whether he moves or not is not the key - the biggest thing is for Zach to figure out fundamental stuff.

Overall, a great interview, and it shows Steve Young as an honest man, speaking the truth even regarding really his own protege. Big kudos to him not just for admitting he was wrong, but wrong about his own guy.

11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Zach does have Johnny like vibes now that I think of it.

IDFjet likes this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

By trading him JD would have to admit a mistake or epic proportions. It makes sense to get the value up, perhaps showcase him in preseason even. Also trading after June 1st has positive CAP implications, so if he actually gets some value back and we have another good starter, maybe JD would do it. But, if he actually does well, they might keep him too. At this point, he will likely be in training camp next year, and then decision will be made from there.

GREG likes this.
  13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

My son calls him “The Mormon Manziel”

stinkyB, IDFjet and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Everyone knows it's a mistake of epic proportions whether Douglas admits it or not. But if he doesn't move on, he will get fired for sure.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Moving on means moving from Zach as a starter. I don't see JD fired if he keeps Zach as a back up in the event he actually has a good training camp. JD has done enough good where he can overcome drafting a bust with #2 overall, if he can get us to the play-offs and find another, good starting QB. What he will not be able to overcome is if gives up on #2 pick after two years, trades him for peanuts, and Zach becomes really good somewhere else. That will be a career ender. I just don't see how JD at least does not take a look in the training camp to see where 23 year old Zach is at before trading him for whatever peanuts will be offered. Unless he is being moved in a package for Lamar or Rodgers, which is unlikely.

@CaptainCap just brought up Hendon Hooker as an option, and I agree, he is a decent prospect. But the guy is 25 in a few days, and will be just drafted. It's like if Zach goes back to school right now, plays there for two years, and then declares again. Once we get to the training camp, depending on how Zach looks, who the the QB is, I can see JD pulling the trigger. Or if Zach looks improved, maybe keeping him as a back-up.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  16. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

That's a good one. Cheers to your son

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Smart kid. I guess he takes after his mother lol. j/k

stinkyB likes this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Hey another Zach Wilson thread. Thought these were getting shut down.

Zach Wilson is a shitty quarterback and if he doesn’t rebound he’ll be a top 3 all time QB bust.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  19. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Of course I want Wilson to succeed. He has not done. He has failed. And there in lies the ray of hope. From what I have read he comes from a somewhat privileged background, was BMOC throughout career and so on. He really did not face adversity till now. His face on the sidelines shows it all. I have a personal belief that its hard to get better through success. The Peter Principle comes into play. You keep repeating what worked, until it doesn’t. now comes the tough part. Realizing you need to do things differently, learning from mistakes, is not easy. But it’s the only way to take the next step up. Hard work ,this. We have all seen examples of players who realized they needed to do things differently, coaches and so on. Putting the work in requires all kinds of mental struggle, going against what almost comes naturally, but if you grow beyond failure you are markedly ahead.

I believe ZW has the physical abilities to do the job. Whether the mental aspect can take the necessary step up remains to be seen. He Has 4 months or so after the season to put in the work, both the physical, lower body positioning, etc, and mental. Its up to him. Maybe we will see the sun shine.

Jojo likes this.