Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I know what we need another Wilson thread, for the OP I'd say plenty of people have had it occur to them.

Come on man, add soemthing new to the dance floor.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is what makes this kid so frustrating. In a clean pocket, he's an actual NFL QB and that's what historically translates well in the NFL. When the pressure kicks in he's absolute dogshit.

KY Jets Fan, NYJetsO12 and Noam like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The comparison is that the people who relied on stats to assess whether they would be good missed for the most part. And it wasn't once they played, it took some time for people to realize that they were good.

And again you speak in terms as if this is Zach's ceiling. He's a work in progress. Maybe he won't pan out in the end, but I don't you or anyone can draw that conclusion with accuracy at this point.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

I've suggested this in the past. IDK why something like this hasn't been invented/used yet.

5. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I wish Zach was progressing in a more linear fashion. I still have hope, but it's hard to not be disappointed to date. He is the weakest link on this team right now.

6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Reading all these Zach Wilson defense threads, makes me hate him even more.

I feel like every one of these threads are clicking bait, with misleading titles all about Wilson

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This was from 4 years ago and I'm sure it is way more developed now. Would be shocked if players aren't using something like this.

Ralebird, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How did people who used stats miss on Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Mahomes or Rodgers? I’d have to look into whether Montana’s college stats didn’t make sense for the era. The only one on that list that you can really make an argument for having subpar stats at any point in their careers from college to the pros is Favre at Southern Miss and in his first couple NFL seasons.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I could not disagree with you more on this.

the fact that you want to cherry pick throws just make no sense at all. The whole POINT of the percentage is that it incorporates all of it…the throwaways, the drops, the pressures, everything. Someone just showed that other QBs with a lot of throwaways had WAY better completion rates…man…he’s not the only QB in the league to face pressure or drops or any of it.

it’s not complicated…accuracy…the ability to complete passes, is one of the most important stats for a QB. Your opinion that it’s not an issue makes no sense.

he’s last in the league. Last. Not midpack.

I really don’t understand why you want to die on this hill, but QBs with bottom of the league completion rates are not usually successful QBs

I guess we’ll just have to disagree, but this position of backing throws out to defend him and then saying completion rate is not important…man alive I just don’t get it

KY Jets Fan and Ralebird like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Mahomes fell to #10 where the Chiefs smartly traded up to get him. The immortal Mitch Trubisky was drafted ahead of him. There were lots of questions about Mahomes because of where he played and the type of offense he played in - the stats he racked up were questioned as a result.

Wilson wasn't drafted until the 3rd round. Rodgers didn't get picked until #24. Montana the 3rd round.

In all these cases, people overlooked the intangibles and other hard to measure attributes, instead relying on stats that they either devalued or didn't understand the context they were generated in.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

None of that supports anything you said. If you looked at Mahomes stats in college, you would’ve said he’s going to be amazing. Rodgers was a first round draft pick.

This excuses are going down a wild rabbit hole. Zach Wilson has sucked, whether you look at the stats, advanced metrics or watch him play live. He’s not doomed yet, but he certainly hasn’t been good regardless up until this point regardless of what blanket you want to wrap his performances in.

Edit: also, none of this matters. College stats and NFL stats are much different. We’re all talking about his pro stats.

#1471 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    KY Jets Fan and Jets79 like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

The point is that despite those amazing stats, Chicago paid a lot to move up to take Trubisky, meanwhile we needed a QB and passed on him.

And now you're saying that there's a difference between college and pro stats, IOW, the context of how those stats were accrued matters.

Finally, Zach hasn't "sucked" unless you're primarily focused on his stats, and also ignoring any mitigating factors that have contributed to his poor performances. This doesn't mean he hasn't had problems of his own making, or that he doesn't need to improve in certain areas, but in fact he has shown some top level ability, which is why Douglas drafted him at #2 and Saleh & Co. are sticking with him.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

See my edit. We’re talking about NFL players now dude. He’s a NFL player. I don’t care about where Trubisky was taken and what his stats were.

The rest of your post is just excuses. And the bold is because they should, but in reality, they sort of half to. They married him. The divorce would take another six to eight months depending on who else they can get. It has nothing to do with confidence in him although I do believe he should be playing.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The fact that you can even write Zach hasn’t sucked basically nullifies any of your arguments.
    If you want to have rose colored glasses and believe he can improve that is one thing.

Zach has basically sucked in every aspect. He can’t read a defense. He panics in the pocket often unnecessarily, when a simple step up would do. He is terribly inaccurate on short passes, maybe the worst I have ever seen in over 50 years of watching football that has been given a starting job and not some 3rd string emergency situation.
    Most of his completions are inaccurate, in the wrong location that limits YAC and often outs receivers in dangerous positions.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

And the next play call was shitty... LaFleur had 4 receivers in the left side of the end zone... all stacked within 5 yards of each other.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Zach has splash plays. Even last week, he had some really good plays. But the bad plays are so bad, and they happen so often where it is hard to have much faith he will fix them. Every QB has some really good plays. Avoiding disaster plays is a big part of being a good QB.

The lack of pocket presence is the most frustrating thing. He flees at any sign of pressure, real or perceived. It would be one thing if he were making plays consistently off script, but he isnt. When he has to go off script, he is atrocious. That was one of the positives for him at BYU.

Sometimes he does a great job avoiding sacks. But he also creates pressure out of thin air just as often. Then he rolls out, cuts off the field, and refuses to throw it away

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

TL; DR

18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Denzel Mims

19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Sabo and Chrebet discuss Zach against the Pats. Pretty optimistic take on Zach.

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We should hire this guy to be QB coach.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.