Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He played well in Miami, the Fourth Quarter in Pitt and a couple of quarters this game. He has to put it together, he looks really good from the pocket but in the NFL the pockets get tight. I take this as a learning experience it is up to Zach to prove he has learned.

I personally think if he just uses his leg a little more all else will fall into place.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Sadly I think we will see Mike White but only because Zach gets hurt, it just feels inevitable with his scrambling

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He is more Favre that Mahomes. Mahomes is a relatively smart player Zach throwing the ball up for the f*** of it is Favre. Play from the pocket it breaks down run forward not Backward and he is good.

4. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

More Johnny Manziel than anyone.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There was a play at 9:45 3rd qtr. that thumbnails my problem w/ Zach.

2nd & 11 at the Pats 27 yrd. line... Zach out of the shotgun has a nice pocket to stay in or step up and survey his options.
    Instead... he needlessly peels out of the pocket to his left and heads backwards to the sideline and sets and throws into the end zone... where there's 3 or 4 Patriots and 1 Jets receiver... what the fuck... o_O

Luckily the ball hit the ground... but that snap tells me a lot about Zach's progress or lack thereof...

papapump and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would be shocked beyond belief if Calabrese and MLF didn't beat that message into his head all offseason and everyday in film study during the season.

Again, I think it's a mental thing for him where once he faces adversity/pressure he panics and everything he's learned just goes out the window and he reverts back to his BYU/HS days where he could most likely escape any type of pressure and make a play. If he wants to be successful in this league, he's going to have to remember that he isn't at BYU anymore and sit in the pocket and make plays within the structure of the offense.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  7. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

He is 100% playing scared like he does not want to get hit.

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Saleh was asked prior to the Atlanta game last year what Zach works on in practice. Saleh listed 1st and second as footwork. You can see where he cleaned up a lot of his footwork issues over the off-season. He still seems to have two issues with footwork. One is failing to point his left foot at the target. He seems to have issues with this still occasionally (3 throws this year) on short throws to his right and we have seen it on a couple of intermediate throws this year. But it is more evident on the short throws to his right. Although he is much better on this than last year. His second issue is the one you are talking about throwing while back pedaling and throwing the ball without setting his feet. We saw this in his throw to CJ against Denver, and 2 of his INTs this week. This seems to be more of a new issue and maybe less footwork and more flat out desperation or panicking. His third major issue of having issues with his back leg in drops seems mostly much improved. But, being a young QB improving footwork is a huge priority and something he has talked about.

My major concern is all the running backwards. Unless you are Mahomes almost nothing ever good comes from running backwards. The best case scenario running backwards is Zach throws it away. He needs to find a way to do what he did the last 7 games of last year and run more forwards north to south. Notice his two off schedule completions to Conklin and Wilson were both when he was running sideways but slightly forwards. Running forwards gives him better mechanics and a better chance of completing a pass plus it allows him to scramble and get free yards. Something he did really well the last 7 games which he has been awful at this year.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I made a post on this very same play back on Page 53 of this thread, Post #1053.

He has a pocket, Duane Brown does a decent job of riding his rusher back behind Zach, and the rest of the OL does a good job of keeping the other 3 rushers in front of them.

He's got to learn to sit in that pocket even if it feels uncomfortable to him because rolling out to one sideline or the other cuts the field in half and takes away too many options for him.

[​IMG]

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But the question is does he think he can do that Mahomes style because he has always had that natural talent but is being found out on the NFL that he needs more than natural talent to succeed, we'd all love a Mahomes talent but after 5 years or whenever the new improved contract kicks in then they are unaffordable for continued success, I'd settle for a guy on a good contract not a team killing one like Mahomes has gotten.

11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He doesn’t understand the offensive play design, and he most certainly doesn’t understand the defense. He’s trying to make plays by deliberately breaking down the play as called and going to street ball in the hopes a receiver gets open in the confusion. Idiots tried to make him a hero last year against TEN because it worked a couple times, praising his “off platform” prowess. The problem is he can’t play “on platform” because he’s not mentally competent in football terms to do so.

BrooklynJetsFan and IDFjet like this.
  12. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Mahomes can throw 65yd on his knees. This boy/kid is not Mahomes. We should never ever compare the two.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Straight from the horse's mouth everybody.

Zach is the guy this year and barring an injury we'll go as far as he takes us.

For all of our sakes, I really hope they figure out whatever mental issue is holding him back and fix it.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i do agree with this…even in the dump offs they are ropes and I cringe almost every time thinking man I hope the RB can catch that

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

absolutely the right decision. Fans too emotional to say or think otherwise.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The truth is: Option A is a pipe dream, which won't happen. Only one guy of this caliber ever got traded, Deshaun. I don't think this is a realistic possibility. Option C means we are giving away 3 1st round picks and change, a la 49ers. Basically Zach route. And even then we are unlikely to land Stroud or Young, who are likely top two and Detroit 100% drafts one of them, with Texan likely the other. It's very very very long shot to say the least given where we will likely end up in standings. Let's rule that out also for now.

That leaves Option B, which is really most realistic one, and it is not a great one. Yeah, we get Minshew/Mariota type maybe, but this option sucks. That is why if Zach is a bust, we are in a VERY tough spot. There is no quick fix. We could patch it with Minshew, maybe make play-offs, heck maybe even have a couple of Rex Ryan years until we have to pay our draft picks, but without a stud QB our potential is greatly limited. The best hope for long term success is still Zach, as tough as it is to swallow right now.

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

100%

This season was always about seeing what we have in Zach. Clearly we're a little ahead of where most of us thought we'd be in the win column at this point but that shouldn't change.

Right now, this team is a QB away from being a good, playoff caliber team. Hopefully we find out down the stretch that Zach is that QB but we have to know one way or the other by the time this season is over.

19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson is literally a combo of some of our greatest QB prospects. He has the accuracy of Hackenberg, the football IQ of Geno Smith, and the grace under pressure of Mark Sanchez.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think the other path I laid out in Option C is our best bet. Draft one of the non-Stroud/Young QBs in the 1st or 2nd round if possible.

If Levis somehow makes it to where we pick in the 1st, he would be very intriguing. As a UK football fan, he is a very frustrating guy to watch sometimes and unfortunately reminds me a lot of Zach in that he tends to bail out of the pocket too quickly and has a tendency to let his mechanics fall apart when he's under pressure. But he's got something Zach doesn't have, at 6'3" 232, he's a hoss and is definitely a much better runner than Zach. Also, our last 2 OCs have ran very pro-style, timing based offenses which could give him a leg up as a rookie as opposed to what we saw with Zach. He's another toolsy prospect that needs some refinement so that may not be the path this CS wants to go down considering what we've seen with Zach.

Cam Ward, Anthony Richardson, and Hendon Hooker are other names that could be had in the 2nd round that have potential.

Unless we can legitimately get Lamar, I'd rather just burn one draft pick on another QB than package up a bunch of them for one.

#1200 KY Jets Fan, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    REVISion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.