Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No one said that we always have to agree 100%. Even with that said, our difference may be more semantics than actual substance. Of course it's better to just take the loss of 5 yards rather than try to escape and run backwards. Geno Smith did a lot of that and I killed him for it. Hopefully, Zach won't do that again

You're right that it's just a typical play of a young QB who is still learning how to play QB in the NFL. I'm not sure about the long ways to go, but you could be right there as well.

KY Jets Fan and Noam like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Welcome back. I was always a fan of your posts as well. Glad you are back, and it's good to be back myself.

I understand the skepticism. We've been conditioned not to be optimistic or think the Jets can have nice things. For some reason (maybe it's insanity), it just all felt different for me as soon as we hired Douglas. With his resume, I believed immediately that he would be what we needed, and would turn this franchise around. I think the way we got Douglas iis part of what made me a believer. Woody made one of the worst hires ever in Gase, yet fortune smiled on us and Gase lobbied for JD. It's so typical of how crazy things are with the Jets. You gotta laugh.

#82 NCJetsfan, Oct 13, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    mezzavo, Borat and Noam like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wow, A poster from the past returns. Nice to see you back in the forum, I always enjoyed your take. Very refreshing to see people actually admit that they were wrong with some assessments back when. We are all fans first and foremost, and all of us have been wrong plenty along the way. Glad that JD is getting it right more than us though, since his picks really matters. I feel strongly for the first time in ages that this ship is actually starting to turn in the right direction. Welcome back.Mez. I think is a great time to be back.

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Nania Grades Wilson week 5 giving him his second highest grade of his 15 games. 50 is Average QB play. Looking at the commentary and the film of each play the argument could be made that Nania might be a bit too complimentary on some of these plays. But, I do strongly agree with Nania about making decisive quick good decisions. That is apparent throughout the game. It is also interesting to com[are the different film reviews of the week. Last week Nania's might have been my favorite not so this week as I think he gives less information this week than the other film reviewers.. But always fun to watch and read.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2022/10/13/grading-all-of-zach-wilsons-plays-vs-miami-dolphins/

[​IMG]

#84 Noam, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. For an Aussie, he really dies understand how to break down tape.

And I'm glad he showed that off schedule pay to Conklin that hit the defender on the helmet. By all rights that should have been a PI. If the tables were turned and it was a Jet defender, a flag would've definitely been thrown - that defender never turned his head, and simply plowed into Conklin. I can't think of a more text book example of PI. And had the flag been thrown it would been a 50+ yard gain. But the real beauty of that play was Wilson scrambling out of trouble, not panicking, but scrambling with a "plan", and having the ability to keep his eyes down field so that he saw Conklin, then was able to throw a fake to get the rusher off of him while he waved Conklin deeper and then throws a strike almost 60 yards in the air!

If you don't think Wilson is special, I'm not sure what yardstick you're using.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Compare that to Sauce PI. Sauce actually turned to the ball and it was a 50/50 ball! Also, perfect example was on Monday night football - an identical play where the ball hit defender in the helmet. Adams actually grabbed the defender, and then they both went down. Go the PI call. But Conklin of course is not Hill or Adams. Still should have been a PI - maybe Conklin should have sold it a bit more, like Adams or Hill did. Good play by Zach though, almost making what should have been a sack into a 50 yard gain.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the “welcome backs” folks!! I was in such a negative space that I knew nothing I had to add would be anything other than nasty vitriol and whining…. So, I figured since I had nothing good to say keep the posts down. Hell, I watched exactly ONE game last year…I just couldn’t take it. I was finally in a good enough head space to watch the condensed footage, on NFL GamePass just before they removed last season.

I’m really encouraged by what I see. For the first time, since the late 90’s, I feel like this offense is EXPLOSIVE! You have to go all the way back to Vinnie T and C-Mart where a Jets team had this kind of explosiveness. I feel this version has the potential to be VASTLY better. The one two punch of Carter and Hall with the talent we have on the edge. I’m drooling.

Now, if we only had Ferguson and Mangold on that line we’d be pretty potent.:D

That’s Douglas’ focus for next year, getting that o-line better and deeper. This year focus on keeping Wilson upright and getting better. The Green Bay game is a toss up. If the Jets are going continue their progression then this is a game they need to win. I’m optimistic!

#87 mezzavo, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Brook!, NCJetsfan, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Zach did what he needed to do today to lead them to victory on the road in another tough stadium. That said, his first half was shaky. He was throwing behind his receivers where had he been on target he would've moved the chains. IDK what is problem was - maybe being uptight playing against his idol? - but he eventually settled down. Also in the first half he was holding onto the ball too long and not being decisive. In short, the first half for him was terrible. Fortunately the "D" kept them in the game.

The good news is that he came out in the second half and looked completely different...decisive, accurate, selling the fakes well. It was good to see that he could recover that quickly.

Noam, BrooklynJetsFan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I can only listen on radio, so can’t see the games…. But was the first half today the first time Zach was mostly under center instead of the gun? Did they go back to shotgun in the 2nd half?

10. ColoradoContrails

I think there was a fairly equal mix of both.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

STUD lite?

Ralebird, Lon Chaney and jets_fan like this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am not sure who was worse the first half MLF or Wilson.

They were both solid the 2nd half.

Ralebird, Lon Chaney and bicketybam like this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Zach was hard to watch at times…at one point he was like 6 of 14…he was holding the ball too long…

but he hit that big throw at the perfect time.

I’m still not really sold on him but he’s 3-0 and he’s not throwing a ton of picks so there’s hope.

defense balled out today. Q was on fire. STs also had a great day

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He is a young QB. We need to understand it is haes to play QB in the NFL especially at Lambeau against a good Packers defense. He was struggling as it seemed his first reads were not getting open and MLF did him no favors.

He played much better the second half. This is what has sold me on this kid. He steps up in big spots. He will still have growing pains. He was smart not in forcing throws. When you defense is playing lights out just don't make the big mistake.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I blame LaFleur a bit more than I do Zach Wilson. I firmly believe ML put into place a don’t fuck it up mindset/game plan for Wilson today and the young QB played scared as a result. It looked like he told him he’s not allowed to throw anywhere but the flats, which is something he’s not great at.

We’re two games above .500 and on track for the playoffs early in. I want to see LaFleur trust Wilson to throw the ball over the middle and air it out a bit as it’s his strength.

17. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Josh Allen 2019 (Year 2 / 23 Years Old)
    58.8% Completion Rate
    193 Passing Yards Per Game
    20 TDS
    9 Ints
    6.7 YPA

Bills 2019 - 10-6 Record

Step 1 is learning how to not be a negative and maybe throw a positive play in here and there. Zach is right on track. He didnt turn it over and made a few plays when needed.

18. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

The Packers secondary is elite, especially at home and their run defense is not great. The Jets just did what would win and thats ok

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We won 27-10. We must have done something right

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Your paragraph analysis is absolutely on point, however, I think the football world needs to stop using Josh Allen as a data point. His ascension makes literally no sense from almost every single angle from high school through his NFL success. He was calling D1 colleges begging them to give him a chance. He was OK as a sophomore and pretty dreadful as a junior averaging around 165 yards passing per game. He was pretty bad as a rookie and improved every single year to honestly take over status as the leagues best player.

That doesn’t happen. Let’s throw those comparisons out

Brook!, REVISion and Acad23 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.