Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

LOL, Flacco is awesome my bad.

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Buncha savages in this town

cval likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here are all the throws:

Zach against Denver. Below are incompletions and sacks.

- 1st incompletion of the game - two guys wide open, completely misses.
    - 2 Throws the ball away under heavy pressure, no chance on that one.
    - 3 : Two guys open: GW on the right, and Davis, missed badly to Davis.
    - 4: Prefect pass to Smith in tight Window at 1st down hash for 5 yards, hits Smith between the numbers, awful drop
    Takes the sack, could have been a fumble under heavy pressure.
    - 5: Hard to tell, but looks like a good pass to Berrios on 2d and 8, over 3 DBs, Berrios dives for it, but drops. I see GW lurking in a similar position as well, but I think this was a good pass from what I can see without areal view.
    - 6: Immediately under heavy pressure, runs to the right, throws it away.
    - 7: Has a defender running straight at him, throws to wide open Uzoma, overthrow
    - 8: Immediate pressure, runs, being pursued, throws away. Hard to tell if there is anyone there
    - 9: Immediate pressure, runs, being pursued, throws away. Doesn't look like anyone was open before pressure came. If Brown held his guy a little longer, he can toss it to open Berrios, but pressure came too soon IMO.
    Takes a sack for 2 yards, pressure comes right away, runs to left, don't see anyone open
    - 10 Open pass to Mims. Slightly behind, but catch should have been made.

I also looked at the passes completed and runs.
    - On 3d and 4, get pressured. This one has good areal view. No one is open before pressure. Runs to the right looks up, appears to spot someone, but the guy is in his face, jukes him, runs for 2 yards
    - Great run on 3 and 8 to get 1st down
    - Hard to tell if he could have had throws for more on the passes he did complete without areal view, but it does not look like there were too many opportunities looking at the film above.

Overall I see 3 passes, where he definitely screwed up. A couple of passes where maybe he could have thrown better but still were within the catch radius. But as far as average time to throw, it didn't look like he had any time to make a good play on the ones he missed aside from these 3 in bold. Maybe they count the time where he is running away then throws the ball out? Without areal view hard to tell, but I am hoping against NE there will be a little more time to make something happen or receivers will be open sooner.

#463 Borat, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    Pepsiguy5, cval, bicketybam and 3 others like this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

So many good responses on the thread, may I add mime?

At this time (and he has had some time), I don't think Zach deserves a second contract with the jets. Although he is close to Rodgers in height, he just looks smaller and seems like he has trouble seeing the field. Even one of his few completions yesterday was way low and behind G. Wilson, but GW saved Zach with a nice catch. Zach appears really intimidated out there and struggles to even get to 100 yards passing a game. It would take a series of decent games for me to change my mind.
    IMO Douglas will NOT admit Zach was a draft error, and will want Saleh to play him come hell or high water until at least the end of 2023.

My preference is to play Zach the rest of this year. If he struggles (likely) draft a new QB in the first or second round in 2023. Hopefully that guy will be our QB of the future. The new 2023 QB may even need to sit behind Zach for a while in 2023. But IMO there is no way in hell down the line the jets should pick up Zach's 5th year option, the way Carolina foolishly did with Darold ($18M), and/or sign Zach to a new contract. I was vocal on the message board about even drafting Zach because like Sanchez he was only decent in college 1 year. However, UNLIKE Sanchez, Zach played a creampuff schedule during the one decent college year he had, but he is not facing Troy State anymore. I don't care how much Chris Simms keeps beating the Zach Wilson drum, he was about as big a draft error as Douglas made with Bechton. Douglas has done a great job otherwise.

LIke everyone else, I am thrilled the jets are 5-2. But unless Zach shows more, I do not think he is the QB of the future for the jets. I hope he proves me wrong the rest of 2022.

5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Pats will treat fields similar to how they treat Wilson imo. Curious as to how tonight goes.

ultimately, the window of the rookie salary cap window will sadly go next year. We have one year to really spend and then we may need to move on from Wilson

6. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Well if this is the case you can bet that every team we face the rest of this year will blitz and bring as pressure. The Sabo comments are concerning *The difference in pressure/expectation has been visible with him thus far this season. Every QB has trouble with pressure... unfortuantely it seems ZW is the worst. Compounding this problem is that NOW, the will be more pressure on him, wheather self imposed or by CS, he could press even more... not a good scenario.

Phil Simis said it best: help the young QB out by calling better plays that help him get into a rhythm...yet if he has issues with short passe accuracy... as some have stated, then maybe just maybe he isn't the guy we all hope he could be....

I do not know and I back on the fence even though he is 4-0...but as Borat said and others the next few games will tell us what we have with him...we'll see very soon

7. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Have I been impressed overall...No.

However, that pressure from Denver was insane, good luck to anyone with that. Going to be hard as every team knows to do this now, get up in his face, were struggling to complete passes to compete against this heavy blitzes.

He's not losing us games/turning the ball over currently, which is a big +.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Mogriffjr and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good Lord I hate it when people use common sense and logic. It catches me completely off guard after reading “the sky is falling with Zach at the helm threads” after 4 very, very tough wins. :D:D
    Fact is Zach is still finding his comfort zone and will do what the CS tells him to do based on the specific game, which is far different than what fans think he is asked to do. Good or bad execution to the plan is a different matter, but he will not be allowed to open up the playbook and take chances to demonstrate capability when the run is working and the D is playing lights out. They should however, come up with a game plan best suited to his natural ability to scramble. Right now goes like this. Baby steps when winning in the trenches, more chances passing when the run is not working. Pretty easy for good coaching to plan against.

#468 LAJet, Oct 24, 2022
    ColoradoContrails and Poeman like this.
  9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I hope Zach develops and becomes the QB they envisioned when they were ecstatic to draft him second overall, but I'm not optimistic about those odds.

If Zach continues on this trajectory, what I'd love to see is all the saving and structuring that JD has been doing turned into a huge move to sign Lamar Jackson. Jackson in this scheme with MC, a healthy Breece, GW, EM, and Berrios, behind a line built to be in motion, is a fantasy that the Ravens are allowing to become a potential real opportunity with their stubbornness.

JD has been keeping his powder dry for a huge move. Despite appearing to be frugal and/or conservative with his cap and picks, he's showed he's willing to go big when he almost landed Tyreke. I really wonder if Zach doesn't show much by the end of the year, do the Jets go big game hunting and make a real run at Lamar...

Ralebird and Poeman like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes I understand how records work, I added a sentence to my post right as you were quoting it. It doesn't matter; the only case where us winning vs. losing would have mattered was comparing the Packers to the Ravens and Bengals, and there's no way to tell me with a straight face that the Packers aren't the worst of those three teams.

And when did I ever say we should go back to Flacco? I'm just saying unless Zach starts playing better once he can't rely on luck and his teammates, he's going to start losing games.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Arguably, the key drive in the game was engineered by Zach at the end of the 1st Half. Not only did the drive result in a FG which put the Jets ahead to stay, it drained the 2nd quarter clock and gave their defense a chance to rest up during halftime. Jets D put the rest to good use, as they ended up pitching a shutout in the 2nd half.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

As of now.. For me.

This feels almost identical to having, Darnold. The only difference, albeit, a big difference. Is the turnover margin. Damn, maybe It's reminiscent to a poor man's, Sanchez.

Either way, I don't like either of those scenarios for obvious reasoning.. Yes, that Is past trauma talking mostly, and I am looking forward to seeing what the coaches have been proclaiming to be ahead for, Wilson.

This Is a good week to start putting It together. For sure.

CotcheryFan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Maybe the Jets should just pass 55 times a game to appease the fans. Worked for Flacco and earlier this season because apparently winning and running the football is too boring and doesn’t help see if Zach is THE guy.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The problem with that thought process is that was the game plan against the Packers and Broncos. Of course Zach will need to do more in future games, but I am not upset with his play the last few games as he got the job done and won. Yesterday's strategy was gutsy by Saleh but it paid off. In future weeks, Zach will definitely be asked to do more and I think he can deliver.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

My take.

After 17 games I am not sure why Zach is not playing like a hall of famer. I know he is only played in four games but he is the reason we lost those games. Wait I mean forget it.

I am watcy all these other 2nd year Qbs and they are lighting it up. I don't understand what is wrong with Zach.

I mean his o-line his o-line is great and we have started the same Five at the same position in each game.

I mean come on Zach is a turnover machine.

I think we should cut him and go back to Flacco. I mean we were awesome when Flacco started

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm glad you finally woke up to the "facts"! /s;)

cval likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think what’s wrong with that thought process is that there is none. Extrapolating stats and win/losses in a vacuum, to compare QB and qualifying the wins by Zach’s is a massive subjective reach. His statement about Denver facing a back up was laughable, as that was a big plus over Russel, as Russel has been dreadful, playing one of the top secondary in the league with a massive pass rush, minus three top offensive starters which he completely ignored. Random facts and fiction all mixed in.
    LOL, Flacco would have been crushed.

#477 LAJet, Oct 24, 2022
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

So I don’t think anyone is saying go back to Flacco…at least not in the recent posts in this thread.

also, I don’t think anyone is expecting him to play like a hall of famer.

he’s winning which is THE most important thing and I think everyone is pretty damn happy about that.

so now that we have that straight…

I don’t see the problem with looking at our young QB and taking stock of what we have. He has improved in eliminating turnovers…HUGE. Let’s not lose us the game. He is doing enough to win with the game plan of stout rushing and strong D. Again, HUGE. I for one do not minimize the wins against Pitt, GB Miami, and Den regardless of who their QB were…those are some hard places to win at, especially for us, and as for injuries, fuck that no one has had more than us.

all good things.

but for me, I’m very unhappy with his accuracy…which hasn’t improved much at all from last hear…still in the mid 50% range. Sorry that’s not good enough in todays game. It’s in the bottom of the league in fact. He continues to miss open receivers too often. At some point this needs to improve.

no one is saying bench him…he is the guy this year. And most likely next year too. But we need to see improvement. He needs to be more decisive as well.

I do think MLF is not really calling the right game for him at times…I would do more quick offense and more RPO and for gods sake roll to the right not left once in a while.

but I don’t see an issue with taking stock of what we have…no one is unhappy with the wins…no one is saying bench him…just talking about what we all see…

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are the man. Appreciate the effort and for using detailed facts and perfect play descriptions with proper context to establish performance.

20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i'd rather just win games.

when zach is needed (likely this sunday) it will be his time to prove it. until then, run forever until we can't. if it means these results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.