Zach Wilson (MERGED) - All new Zach threads will be merged here after a day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If he gets injured here we have nothing to comment about. So can he find a different way to EZ ? Maybe not...

Otherwise , this was his best game in year and a quarter ...my doubts are lifting

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I couldn't care less about the lack of TD passes. If Zach continues to play like he did today he'll rack up plenty of TD passes.

Accuracy and not making dumb throws are paramount, and he did very well in both of those areas today.

NCJetsfan, Borat, KY Jets Fan and 6 others like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach had some sweet throws today... and some clutch 3rd down conversions.

But he played within the game plan and it worked out well.

4. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I like what I saw today. The kid is getting better and his poise has grown since last year. He's getting better which is the best thing I can say right now. We all can see if this was last year it would look different. Just from the eye test. Let's see how much more he'll progress, and this team.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Outstanding response. People are over reaching at dumb stats to make a point. He played a great error free game and was inches away from adding two touch down passes. Fuck stats in a vacuum. This is not fantasy football

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

No bad decisions. No egregiously bad throws. Took what the defence gave him and made the important throws he needed to. In fact, the worst thing he probably did was to turn a 10 yard loss on a sack into a 17 yard one because he was trying to turn it into something less bad. Sure its game manager level stuff, but I'm struggling to remember the last time I was confident that a Jets QB could even do that. He played a good game. I hope it continues.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Say what you will about Zach, but it's ASMR watching him sling it. It's gorgeous.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Thought he played well yesterday. Made some big time throws when needed. He made two throws from the left hash to the right sideline that made me go wow. I think one was earlier in the game and then one was after the Fins missed that FG.

Also saw this pop up on my twitter timeline. Wonder if we have anything here. He was 25% to the left side of the field last year.

Noam and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Link to every throw from Zach yesterday here.

EDIT: After watching the entire video, really only felt like Zach had 2 bad plays all day yesterday.

1) 6:35 in the 1st, 1st & 10 (1:24 mark in the video). Elijah is wide open after running what looks like a 20 yard comeback. Zach gets some pressure in his face (looks like Wilkins pushes through a double team of McGovern and Tomlinson and pushes Tomlinson almost into Zach's lap) and short arms the throw to Elijah on the sideline. In terms of "bad plays" this one is less egregious than most IMO. Still one I'm sure he wants back because that's probably a 20+ yard gain to Elijah early in the game.

2) 1:56 in the 3rd, 2nd & 8 (7:45 mark in the video). Zach tries to make something happen after Miami brings some late pressure on his blind side. He turns what should've been either a throwaway or a 5 yard loss into a 17 yard loss which sets us up with a 3rd & 25 at a pivotal moment in the game. Again, another play I'm sure he'll want back as there's not many plays in the playbook where you can convert on 3rd & 25. 3rd & 13 on the other hand? You've at least got a shot. Another teachable moment for Zach.

Other thoughts:

Man, if Elijah keeps his feet in bounds on that attempt with 3:05 to go in the 3rd (6:27 mark in the video) it would've been one of the best plays of the day. Really nice play to be rolling out to your left, reset your feet, and then put the ball where only Elijah could've caught it.

Zach had a few really nice throws yesterday. He wasn't otherwordly, but he didn't have to be. He made the plays that the team needed him to make, with the exception of maybe 2, and that's all you can ask from him at this point.

These are the things we needed to see from Zach this year. Growth & consistency. He's a far cry from a finished product and there's still things he can work on and improve but, hey, he's only played 15 games in the NFL so far so that's to be expected. I'm very optimistic with how Zach has looked through 2 games this season and I expect him to continue to improve as we progress through this season.

#29 KY Jets Fan, Oct 10, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Say it with me everyone....PROGRESS!!!!

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Go look around the league only 2 winning QB's threw for over 300 yards this week.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It was a strong game for Zach. No mistakes trumps TD passes at this stage. He did everything he could to help us win.

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you wrote. The two plays you pointed out were bad. He also threw a 3rd and 4 pass to Jeff Smith that was low but his short passing was much better than last week.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This actually makes sense. Very underrated performance by Zach. Two passes to Hall that came 1 yard short of a TD were excellent. No TO worthy plays. Several huge 3d down conversions. Outstanding TD run when we really needed it. Should have had 50 more yards or a PI on a long Conklin pass. Granted I don't think he is #8 QB in the League based on performance so far, like PFF graded him, but he is off to a great start this year.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's amazing what one hitch route to a wide open RB will do for your stats! Keep it going!

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

to me he finally looks like he understands he doesn't have to do it all and can trust the players around him.

with that said I can only think of 1 "mistke" he made off the top of my head. it was the sideline pass to moore on 3rd down that was slightly OOB. he had a TE (conklin i think) open for the 1st but he went for the deeper play instead of taking the easy 1st. outside of that, nothing stood out to me

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson delivers exact Jets performance Robert Saleh had in mind

“It feels good as a quarterback when you get to hand the ball off and the guys up front are doing their job and the receivers are getting dirty, coming down and making their blocks and the running backs are running hard and moving the ball,” Wilson said. “I think it’s always a good thing as a quarterback to have that.”

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The first one where he underthrew Moore, I looked at that play about 10 times. This was a short ball, but it was soft and Moore had time to come back for it. Moore misjudged it a little bit. Could have easily moved back faster to catch it. Heck, even the way it was at his feet, should have caught it. Another one on the sideline, where his feet were off by 1/2 inch, I thought Zach could have gone to Davis for shorter 1st down gain, but still, should have been caught by Moore in bounds. We are talking half an inch out of bounds. Another miss was a 4th and 2, on Davis come back route - gets taken down by DB, no PI. Conklin, like I said before, could have caught his 50 yard ball too - should have used hands or draw a PI instead of trying to get into his chest, and have it bounced of DB's helmet. I thought when we settled for 3, Zach could have completed a 25 yard TD pass, but threw a bit high under pressure.

Overall, very minimal mistakes and plenty of really good plays. Can't wait to see more next Sunday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.