Zach Wilson is the Leader the Jets Need

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 9, 2021.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The "Five Year Window" is what drives this decision, not what's best for the player and even the team (aside from finances). In the "old days", you could afford to let a rookie QB sit and learn for 2-3 years without a penalty, but now you have to throw him into the fire while the clock is running.

This can be successfully done if the team surrounds their rookie with a decent OL and weapons, but this was the massive mistake the Maccagnan-led Jets made with Darnold. Then they compounded it by hiring Gase who should've never been allowed near a young QB )See Tannehill, R.; Darnold, S).

But with Saleh and LaFleur, and the vastly improved weapons they've added, the Jets should be ok starting Wilson Day 1. That said, I'd prefer he be allowed to sit for 4-6 games to make sure he's adjusted to the faster speed and power of the NFL. But I'm also anxious to see how he does, so am not going to be upset if they start him in N.C.

jetstopgun, SOJAZ and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yeah, I hope his crazy attention seeking mom doesnt add another layer of stress / distraction for the kid...... you just know the media will be frothing to pounce.

SOJAZ and BrowningNagle like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Saleh is a first time defensive-minded HC and LaFleur has never been an offensive coordinator. That + rookie Qb is probably a recipe for disaster.

I get that most Jets fans want to see this glass as half full but the facts are that the Jets always get nailed by these situations and there is no objective reason to believe they're not getting nailed again - quite the contrary.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The great thing is this team isn't expected to make the playoffs this year. It's all about learning and growing. That said, we need to see tangible progress and signs that we're headed in the right direction going into 2022.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  5. Br4d

Playoffs!? Playoffs!? The Jets are going to be just trying to win a game here and there next year.

Anybody who thinks the Jets can have the season they are likely to have and not get massacred and mutilated by the press and the fans hasn't been a Jet fan for very long.

Ralebird likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Anyone else see that weird account that is obsessed with Zach and his mom? Today they are trying to prove that Zach is anti-mask because due to the lights shining through his mask at a certain angle, they can tell his mask is something his mom bought off etsy therefore he is an anti-masker. Fucking absurd. I'm not even gonna post the link and give them the clicks they want.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

One of his supposed advantages over the other guys available was his pro readiness and immediately fit in this offense. If he has to sit because he’s not ready, that’s strike 1.

8. Br4d

This is a false premise though. The Jets need to do whatever it takes to ensure that Zach is ready to go when he hits the field and starting him early in his career is a likely violation of what should be a cardinal rule of his development.

The simplest way to put this is that if Zach Wilson doesn't play meaningful downs next season there is very little chance that JD is fired and the rebuild is inevitably hindered by his departure. The Jets should be looking for a QB to play next season and maybe at some point give way to Wilson if he seems ready to go, maybe at the bye or mid-season - whichever is later.

9. legler82

I disagree that this year is not about Wilson. It’s all about him. All signs point to us being the worse team in the division. Wins is not of concern but Wilson’s competency and development is. We traded away a 23 year old QB who some believe still has promise and passed on some in the draft. If he’s a contributor to the suck like Darnold was, then that’s strike 2.

10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more... I want to see a competitive competent team to start that progress throughout the year. If not, this could be very painful to a lot of posters.

Br4d and jetstopgun like this.
  11. legler82

What’s a false premise; the fact that he’s allegedly pro ready?

12. Br4d

The false premise is that the Jets should be expected to put Wilson on the field game one next year or somehow have failed in their evaluation of him.

I'll guarantee you that nobody in the talent evaluation process said that Wilson was a lock to be on the field game one next season and yet that is what your initial post in this chain implied.

bicketybam and BrowningNagle like this.
  13. legler82

Dudes on here spent months building Zach up to the point where they were making arguments for him being better than Trevor Lawrence. Now some of these same dudes are trying to rein in expectations. It’s too late for that.

14. legler82

Do you think Trevor Lawrence needs to sit?

15. legler82

There’s a difference between “needing” to sit and “wanting/preferring” him to sit. If it’s the former, then I do believe that there was a failure in the evaluation process.

Based on the current QB depth chart, I would say the Jets do believe he’s ready to play right away.

patleahy likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Disagree. He should sit and it shouldn't be seen as "strike 1" , it should be seen as a rational organizational decision

J-Raw24 and bicketybam like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Exactly. great post

18. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Agree competitive and competent are the keys that all of us want to see.... I think Wilson will be fine He certainly will have more talent and better coaching to work with than Sam had to start out with his career... I can’t wait to see him play

19. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

It does seem their plan is to start him Week 1, which might make Zach the only "non-TL" rookie QB to play right away this year. Lance, Fields and Jones are all expected to sit for at least several weeks before taking the reins.

legler82 likes this.
  20. legler82

Again wanting and needing are 2 completely different things. I would want and prefer he sits but if he NEEDS to, we fucked up IMO. That said, I don’t think he needs to or will sit anyway.

HomeoftheJets likes this.