Zach Wilson better than Lawrence?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I’ve been touting the Wilson bandwagon fkr a few weeks now.

I’m all in on him now.

Interesting enough is if you hire someone like Eric Bienamy and sorta run something similar to what the Chiefs do. I’m legit intrigued.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well, not getting TL is inexcusable..

But the few days after I am forced to sober up to reality

I dont want Fields...so yes lets draft the Wilson kid for shits and giggles while crossing toes and fingers

Maybe he turns out to be our later Round draft pick wonder like Josh Allen

NYJFOREVER and matt robinson 17 like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Just a bummer that yet again we're going to be forced into picking someone that there's no consensus on. Just once I wish we could've gotten "the" guy.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I find it so hard to figure out if a college player will be great as a Pro or not. (I guess most people do, otherwise the NFL Draft would look much different) Watching Zach Wilson last night, he looked really good. He was playing a bad UCF defense though. Then you watch Trevor Lawrence, he looked great too, but he is surrounded by the best team in college football and one of the best coaches. Then you watch Justin Fields, and he looked terrible, while being surrounded by a great team too. Who knows? Maybe Fields will be the best of the 3?

I woke up today more comfortable with the #2 overall pick though, as long as it is used on Wilson or Fields. Wilson moved ahead of Fields for me for now, but Fields can change that in the CFP.

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I find it easier to determine if a guy CAN'T play in the NFL or won't be that good than if a guy WILL be good.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

i watched Wilson in this game. Man some of those throws were impressive.

9. JetsKickAss

I didn't know he played last night.....we didn't advertise it on these forums !! :mad:

It looks like he had a good game....Conor Hughes in TA said the problem was the opponent had no talent.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

11. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Might not be feasible, but in this let's replicate the Chiefs scenario...

Trade pick #2 to the Bengals for picks 3, 67 and a 5th rounder... Bengal fans are scared that the Jets love Sewell.
    Package the SEA #1 with two of the 3rd rounders (ideally the SEA is one of them) to get into the 11-15 range needed to get your Tyreek Hill (Waddle) or Travis Kelce (Pitts)

12. Big Cat

13. Big Cat

Btw, this throw at 4:51 is the one I got into hours worth of arguments about before the 2017 draft. Two guys told me that any competent NFL CB is intercepting this

For some reason people like to do this insanely hypocritical thing where they criticize college QBs for throwing to wide open receivers, then when they’re shown a tight window throw they respond that NFL defenders will intercept it. Stop doing that. Good throws are good throws.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I’m real intrigued on a trade down with the Bengals, if they can. If you can convince the Bengals to badly get Sewell, they may do it for extra draft comp.

15. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Honestly, throw out the draft chart at that point and any extra draft comp is a bonus.

This might be wishful thinking, but between a swap with the Bengals and a Darnold trade (Bill Barnwell suggested Washington for a 3rd), they could potentially leave the draft with 7 picks in the first 88 and at least 8 in the first 110.

Mogriffjr and REVISion like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets absolutely cannot afford to trade up.

17. JetsKickAss

We have lots of picks.....you won't move a #3 or #4 to move up 5-7 spots ? I'm not talking about parting with a future #1 or a current/future #2.

3rd round or lower. Just want to jump 5-7 spots, not 10-12.

18. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I like Wilson and can certainly make the case to draft him at 2, but make no mistake about it, he's not Trevor Lawrence. I think the fact that we lost Trevor, the realistic thing to do is move on and do homework on other players, even starting to get positive on those players. But in no universe is anyone going to convince me we are "better off" not drafting Lawrence no matter what the scenario. Detroit was not saying Darko Milicic was a better prospect because they lost the first pick to Cleveland and the rights to draft Lebron.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No! The #3 or #4 draft pick could be a quality starter, if not a very good player. At the very least, he could be a good role player. When a team has as many holes and as little depth as the Jets, it shouldn't even consider trading up. Trading up is fan think when they fall in love with a player. Smart GMs don't trade up very often, especially when they're rebuilding. Even then, it's only a QB, Edge or LT that they trade up for. I know that you were advocating trading up for a QB, but imo he isn't that good of a prospect to burn draft capital to move up to get him. If Douglas really likes him, he should trade down far enough where he can get him for value and get additional picks, not burn picks moving up. I could live with his burning a 3rd or 4th to move up if he really likes Lance and thinks he is our future QB, but I wouldn't want him to do it just to be taking a QB who might have a chance. Still, I'll trust whatever he does until it goes wrong.

#199 NCJetsfan, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    88toon likes this.
  20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Found this interesting on Twitter. An anonymous NFC director said this about Wilson:

Two offensive assistants from BYU came to Wilson's defense, one of them being the QBs coach.

It says a lot that a coach is willing to bat for their player like that.

matt robinson 17 likes this.