Zach Wilson and lack of pocket pressure at BYU

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, May 4, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on, Colorado!

Noam and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

#42 NCJetsfan, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    patleahy likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I know this is the Jets we're talking about, and we've all been disappointed and been conditioned to believe that everything that appears to be good is a mirage, but this is a new day. Leave your SOJ attitude behind. We have a quality GM now, and a what appears to be an excellent, if not great, CS. As Cman pointed out, we have lots of draft picks early next year, and we will also have cap space. We could still wind up signing Moses before TC. With solid play from the left side of the OL, C and RT, WRs that can block, a QB who makes quick decisions and gets the ball out quickly, and our new offensive and blocking scheme which favor the QB and OL, it might not matter who we play at RG. We CAN have nice things. There IS reason for hope. I understand being cautious if you don't want to get disappointed/hurt again, but things are gonna be different this time.

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

4 of 5 of the top QBs faced a similar number of pressures with Lance being the exception. Wilson was the 2nd best of the 4 under pressure in getting rid of the ball quickly and sack percentage slightly behind Jones. The only QB who did poorly under pressure was Fields who had awful numbers under pressure taking sacks at twice the rate of the other qbs, holding the ball longer and running at a much higher rate.

#45 Noam, Jun 14, 2021
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

[​IMG]

Do it before it's too late :eek:

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

ROFLMAO!

K'OB likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

In Wilson's case, it's more impressive that he did it with his OL and skill position players than it was with Jones and his NFL OL and All-Star offensive skill position players.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

No. This is the Jets, it will come from the left after Becton goes down in preseason.

Lon Chaney and Cman68 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Bite your tongue! As Donald Southerland's character in Kelly's Heroes said, "Don't hit me with thosee negative waves so early in the morning!!"

Cman68 likes this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The scheme being run by Lefluer should help alleviate pressure on Wilson as it:
    1. Runs a lot of misdirection forcing defensive players to run laterally rather than pin their ears back.
    2. The emphasis on the running game.
    3. The system often will simplify the QBs read to one side of the field.
    4. The offense is designed to get the ball out of the QBs hands fast.

Then add in some of Wilson’s traits.
    5. He appears to be decisive making quick reads and quick decisions.
    6. His release is so fast that he can often nullify a pass rush by getting the ball out so fast.
    7. Wilson seems to have a natural feel for pressure along with a clock in his head telling him when to get the ball out.

Balance all those vs. Wilson being a rookie and learning not only the speed of the game but learning what he cannot get away with at the NFL level. There will be growing pains.

12. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I don't have any reservations about Zach's ability to "handle pressure" bc I think he is a pretty calm cool and collected fella...AND he is obviously highly intelligent, so I doubt that he is going to turn into a mitch trubisky like dummy under pressure. HOWEVER, I do have concerns about his body being able to absorb hit after hit from NFL DL, LB and SS, who are ALL going to be a hell of a lot faster, stronger and bigger than anything he faced while at BYU, esp since he does have a slight build/frame and is kinda teeny-tiny. We obviously solve that problem but not letting those opposing DL LB and SS get anywhere near Zach....and we do that by pouring resources into our OL and constructing the "Great Wall of East Rutherford" around him to make sure he NEVER gets hit. I think JD is off to a pretty good start in that regard with guys like Becton and AVT.

#52 patleahy, Jun 14, 2021
  13. NCJetsfan

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Way to think positive

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's not teeny-tiny. FFS. The guy is going to get sacked. If JD didn't think he could take a hit he wouldn't have drafted him.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The best way to remain on your feet is not having a big QB, or bulking up, or being a scrambler QB. It’s about not holding on to the ball, quick decisions and even quicker releases. That’s what Wilson brings. Brady made a career of it, as did Drew, and dick head Aaron. Don’t over think it Wilson, go with your gut.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And now that Crowler renegotiated that could be a reality.

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Great post. I think you nailed the issue. So many of us have been burned and dissapointed over and over it is hard to buy into the hype.

It is hype season now and it is easy to go down that rabbit hole but I think we need to understand what is progress next year. We are going to start at least 4 rookies this year maybe 5 with Michael Carter in the slot. Maybe 6 if you count the kicker and it could be 7 if Dunn or Pinnock ends up starting at CB this year. We are a really young team with a new offensive and defensive system. Progress is not about wins but developing our young players and getting them reps. I am just looking at seeing the team improve and hope the last 4 games we are a much better team than the one that started the season.

Looking at your point at how wounded the fanbase is I wonder if people have the patience to look long term and appreciate gradual progression.

19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

the whole Zach Wilson is frail chestnut agin?

rolling my fucking eyes

we've all seen guys with his build QB in the NFL since forever...

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

best QB of all time coming out of college
    [​IMG]
    still playing at 43 and outside of 1 freak injury where he missed a season, he hasn't missed a single game due to injury in his 19 year career as a starter