Zach vs Trevor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Overall perhaps, but for the rookies the trend is more important as Zach started very bad with a lot of picks. Over the last 5 weeks, where his rating improved to 73.3, he was not the worst rated QB in NFL. Lawrence for sure had lower rating, even had a 4 pick game. Plus Zach did a lot more on the ground with 4TDs. I get it why you are not sold, and I don't think anyone will know for sure until next year, when I hope Zach will be surrounded with better talent, where he does not have to get his rating with Berrios as #1 receiver and O line which gives no time.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson is only going to be the QB here for one more season. The Jets fans (some of them content producers) hyping him are the same ones that hyped Darnold.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If your bigger point is that Zach should have sat half a year or full year behind a guy like Flacco, that's a fair take, but it is debatable whether you gain more by reps or by watching. He ended up getting both because of injury, so it worked out very well. I really don't see a problem aside from losing 6th round pick, which while not optimal, to me is outweighed by the fact we had very good back-up play, which Zach watched and appears to have benefitted from, and are in position to retain a good back-up next year.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In retrospect - sure I would have preferred to have saved a 6th round pick as White and Josh were sufficient, but JD made triple sure we were set, we did need a sub for a while and were in fact set, and it didn't cost all that much. No problem here.

Jets79 likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That is my point be it Flacco or Foles or ANY VET QB that was reasonably successful in the league. Sitting a year never hurt any Qb I can remember. In fact, when you think of the great ones, they all sat for a period of time with a clipboard and learned. Rodgers, Brady to name a few. Not sure if Brees sat behind Manning but the point is, there are rare guys you can throw in and they play like Vets. There are guys that need to be brought along. ZW is in that second group but unfortunately for him, he was treated like a vet which IMO was a disservice to the kid.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Why are you not banned yet?

rscherwin likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s not panicking it’s the covid world. They wouldn’t have traded for Flacco under normal circumstances, it now you can lose a player for a week because he stopped for Dunkin’ on the way home. Have to keep an extra healthy qb

Jets79 likes this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The earth is going to change rotation after this year, and the sun will rise in the west and set in the east.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bad take imo,Cman. JD DID try to sign Flacco, but why should he way overpay? That's ridiculous. If JD had given him a big contract, you and most other posters here would have raped JD over that.

At the time, Saleh said that he didn't think a veteran QB was necessary. Following are some links to what he said.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ne...vent-added-veteran-quarterback-this-offseason
    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/...obert-saleh-doubles-down-backup-quarterbacks/

Also, remember that the Jets had Greg Knapp up until he was hit and killed by a car while cycling on July 23, just before TC opened. With Knapp, they had tons of experience and he was going to be the guy mentoring Zach. At that point most, if not all, of the decent veteran QBs already had a team.

11. NCJetsfan

I don't think Zach's development was hindered by not sitting. If anything, he learned a LOT more by playing. Who was going to help Zach learn? The rookie OC LaFleur? The rookie QB Coach Calebresi (or whatever his name is)? Mike White? Again, the plan was for Greg Knapp to be there coaching and mentoring Zach. He died right before TC started. At that point they were committed to starting Zach and all the better (and I use that term lightly) vet FA QBs had been signed by other teams.

IMO you're just looking for something to complain about and criticize JD and the Jets about.

#131 NCJetsfan, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    rscherwin likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I don't think it's debatable at all. I think one learns more by doing than sitting and watching. The two are totally different things. Muscle memory, and just playing, letting your talent take over is most important.

13. NCJetsfan

Please don't encourage the troll by responding.

rscherwin likes this.
  14. Cman68

Yep.. You're right.. Instead of 4-11, I should consider them 11-4. :)

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Because he doesn't use naughty words

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Btw, looks like Moore and Crowder are still out. C McGovern out too for this week. And this is against one of the best defenses in NFL. Honestly, what is the expectation for Zach? Some people say they are waiting for breakout game. How can you break out with these tools? This is the scenario where Belichick probably has Mac Jones throw 3 times in a game. Objectively, I can predict Zach's rating is not going to be good this Sunday. Mahomes' and Rogers' also would not be good. And if we swap QBs with Bucks for this game, there is a fair chance Brady could suffer a career ending injury.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Cman68

So Saleh owns the QB decision. Okay. Why should JD invest big money in a Vet QB? Perhaps your future QB's development might be a factor. Did JD make a run at Foles if Flacco was too expensive? With Beck in house, why go after Flacco at all? I was advised that Flacco and JD go way back so I guess there's a reason. Either way, We still have a ton of cap cash and dp's. Chances are we'll still have a ton of cap cash after this offseason too.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i was really wanting to see such a game but I agree with you…I just don’t think it’s in the cards with Moore and Crowder still out, against a top defense

most likely it’s not gonna be pretty…

Borat likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Anybody see a problem with having decided even before training camp that Wilson would be the starter?

20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't. When you draft a QB that high, the presumption is that he has the talent to compete in the NFL. Wilson just needs experience. That of course, doesn't necessarily mean that he will be successful, but starting him right away was the right decision.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.