Zach vs Trevor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Did it? Felt more like a JD covering his ass move to me..

abyzmul likes this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

As I previously posted, I don't think Douglas is a cover your ass type of guy. He's got a 6 year deal. I saw it as more of "I took a risk and it didn't work. How do I fix it?"

If Douglas got fired tomorrow, he'd be unemployed for a New York minute. Not a popular opinion but I believe that to be true.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Douglas tried to resign Flacco in the offseason but Flacco liked Philly better. But, he became expendable when Philly traded for Minshew. I would argue that trading for Flacco was not a reversal but instead was consistent with what JD wanted all along.

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

but we’ve seen this already…and he was throwing a lot of picks

I pulled the stats by game for him (don’t remember if I posted them in this thread or a different one) and all it really showed was that after his injury, the picks are down but that’s because he’s throwing less and the yardage totals are way down. He threw for 102 last week after 170 the week before.

his completion rate hasn’t really changed all the much…still mid-50%ish … he broke 60% a couple,of times but also had a 45% day…so while I thought it would have improved, it really hasn’t.

westiedog1 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am surprised you actually posted the data, but then seem to be drawing a different conclusion than your own data set shows when it comes to picks. According to your own post, he started with first 5 games, throwing a pick every 19 attempts. The last 6 games, he is throwing a pick every 79.5 attempts (only 2 picks thrown). That is over 4 times less per attempt. Zach is making much better decisions now, even though he has a lot less to work with due to injuries. I know Zach is not perfect, but let's not misinterpret the stats to make him look bad in the area he actually drastically improved.

Brook!, NCJetsfan, Acad23 and 3 others like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. And especially with these next two games where he'll be facing top defenses, it'd be a good idea to mix things up. I think employing a hurry-up offense to try and keep the defense a little unsettled. And I mentioned in another thread, they should go run-heavy, but mix in plays to get Zach on the move and throw deep to keep the defense honest.

But no matter what they do, I'm afraid Wilson is going to be in for long days these next two games.

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL holy shit LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

dmw likes this.
  8. Cman68

"Someone" owns the panic trade for Flacco. No one is going to own it though especially after cutting the guy, then trading a 6th to get the guy back. Not exactly a genius level personnel move there.

"Someone" figured out that ZW needed a veteran mentor and then like magic, Flacco shows up for a late round pick. I wonder if it was the same "Someone" who figured a Vet QB wasn't needed on the roster going into the season. Hmmmmmm

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Flacco was not cut. He signed a 1.5 million 1 year contract in 2020 and became a FA in 2021 who JD pursued and tried to sign but the Eagles offered him a 7.5 million incentive based contract and he took the money.

To say that Flacco was not part of the plan all along is wrong. Flacco has always been JDs guy. JD scouted, discovered him and advocated drafting him in Baltimore. They have always had a strong connection and been tied together.

dmw, NCJetsfan, Borat and 2 others like this.
  10. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Good rant. Even if I disagree. That's the fun of sports.

You forgot to tell us to get off your lawn.

[​IMG]

Brook!, ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yah…the stats I posted were pulled on google and did not include number of attempts or completions…only completion %

so I didn’t have that picks per attempt ratio in the data I pulled…something sounds off though if he was throwing a pick ecery19 attempts…is that really accurate? Seems high.

in any case, the only real thing that stood out to me from that view of pre and post injury is that he throwing much less…or at least throwing for fewer yards per game…and throwing fewer picks as a benefit of that.

I had expected to see some improvement incompletion % but just from game to game, it did t really look all that different….I’d have to see the actual attempts and completions data, which I did t get in that data set, to compute the overall completion rate…it’s not just an average of the game rates.

in any case, my eyes tell me he’s doing better…the stats kinda sorta back that up in terms of turnovers, but that’s about it.

I guess in the end, I’m still not sold…he’s been ok at times, he’s made a few really nice plays, but he’s not put out there a dominant game…partly due to supporting cast talent for sure. But I’ve seen a lot to give me pause, and his accuracy is my main concern…low completion rate and too often poor ball placement.

i don’t think it’s enough to write him off…I think we need to keep getting him better OL and receiver help, and I’m all for doing that foe next year. That being said, I’m not on the “I’m convinced he’s the guy” path yet. He has potential. He could be good. But he could end up not being that guy too.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Hey man. You can roll with that. I have no issues for you having that opinion.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We did end up losing a 6th round pick, but back-up QBs has been a strength for the Jets. Flacco played well. White for a back-up played well. And even Josh Johnson played well for us, then for Ravens when he wasn't needed. JD can be blamed for some things, but back-up QB spot was not an issue this year at all even though it was needed for 1/4 of the season. And chances are either White or Flacco (or both) will be back to keep back-up QB spot decent. I don't think 6th round pick was a high price to pay for that.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's accurate, check game by game: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsZa00.htm

Zach only threw two picks last 6 games, and 159 attempts. That's big progress. He will probably end up with some picks as well in the next two games, but he is taking care of the ball a lot better than at the start, which is important. As far as lesser yards you have to realize whom he is throwing to now. Moore has been on IR. Davis is out for the season. Even Crowder was out. He is being smart and careful. That's a good thing.

Won rookie of the week again, and deservingly so, check this out: https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/12/30/zach-wilson-rookie-week-matter/

In the article interesting stat, he improved his passer rating by 10 points to 73.3 compared to earlier in the season. That's not a great #, but definite progress. Add significant improvement to rushing game, including 4 TDs, and the fact he had no one to throw to and depleted Oline due to injuries, and this is overall a big step forward for Zach.

#114 Borat, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  15. Cman68

It should have never come to that is the point. They should have kept Flacco or got a Vet like Foles to start the season. "Someone" f'd up realized they f'd up, then tried to fix it by bringing back Flacco. Not saying Flacco sucked, just saying it shouldn't have come to a panic move when everyone knew Zach needed a Vet QB on the roster.

16. Cman68

Not 7.5m strong obviously. My point is, this entire episode shouldn't have happened at all. Either sign Flacco since JD loved the guy OR get a Vet QB in here and let Zach sit and learn for say, half the season. "Someone" made the decision not to sign a viable VET QB.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are nitpicking though. We ended up needing a back-up QB for a fairly large stretch of the season, and had more than one option that performed well. Back-up QB was indeed needed and worked out very well for us - there is just no way this can be a legitimate serious complaint against JD. JD turned out to be right: we had a good back-up in White and we had another veteran good back-up in Josh. Then we ended up with another good back-up in Flacco. I mean, he took care of the back-up QB spot several times over. Let's give credit where credit is due.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

it was a 6th round pick…not gonna lose any sleep over it.

yes, we should’ve just signed him to begin with, or we should’ve known maybe that the combo of White and Johnson would do well enough so that we didn’t need to trade for him anyway…agree that either of those should’ve been the case…

so yes there is a smack of panic there, but again…it was a 6th round pick….I get that we need all the picks we can get, but this is not the hill to die on…

19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yah…well crazy that it was one pick every 19 throws….can’t make a living doing that.

I agree the eye test tells me he’s shown some improvement…I’m not denying that at all.

the stats and rating show that despite this improvement, he’s still rated as the worst starting QB.

it is what it is…a lot of that is due to a poor supporting cast, but not all of it. He’s a rookie so it’s not unexpected.

the trend is pointing up so that’s good.

hope it continues…

I’m not gonna call him a bust yet…too early for that…but I’m also not convinced he’s going to become the FQB we desperately need him to become. There’s a chance…we’ll see.

Herbert showed right away he was legit…but he walked into a MUCH better team so not apples to apples there.

Burrow showed right away that he was legit, and his team wasn’t loaded … but he came from the SEC where he did face better competition…

but we’ll see…I have hope for Zach, but I’m not convinced yet…

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Cman68

Nitpicking? We really don't know how much Zach's development was set back by not having him sit and learn behind a VET QB. We're talking about our FQB in waiting here so no, its not nitpicking, its being thorough with the Kid's development and not making dumb assed mistakes along the way. Its not like this wasn't bought up to the CS and FO before the season began. In fact, it started to be mentioned right after the draft. "Someone" made the decision which turned out to be the wrong one. Damn near got Zach damaged due to injury. None of this had to happen this way but it did so, hopefully they won't fck up again with another assumption not based in reality.

rscherwin likes this.