Zach vs Trevor

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

This was my first time watching Lawrence. I knew he had been having problems adjusting to the pro game, but still....Remember Lawrence was hyped as a pro-ready QB, and the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning.

1. As other posters mentioned, Lawrence made impressive throws when he had time in the pocket. Actually, not just time, but all the time in the world. When he felt any pressure, his throws weren't that good. Damn, no QB can count on a O line so good that it gives him all the time in the world.

2. When Lawrence felt pressure, he didn't step up in the pocket. Instead, he tried to run away from the pressure. The result: he turned seven-yard sacks into 20-yard losses. Not good.

Let me know if I'm being too harsh.

NCJetsfan and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I thought Lawrence looked pretty good yesterday. He threw some lasers down the field and looked every bit like the player we saw at Clemson.

ZW looked like a more athletic Mark Sanchez

SOJAZ and westiedog1 like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Is this a continuation of your thread that got locked? :D

cval likes this.
  4. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Also, they burned their last timeout on an injury. If Lawrence got creamed at the 2 and got hurt, there would be a penalty and a runoff. He had very little chance to get into the end zone, and the risk wasn't worth it. Best case scenario, he'd have gotten tackled at the 1 or 2 and they'd give themselves possibly 1 play after the offense made it down the field and got set. Of course, we couldn't see into the future and realize that's what he'd end up with anyway....lol

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Nah that seems accurate to me. Lawrence is a rhythm passer, when Jacksonville has him doing the play action passes and deep throws it messes with his rhythm. The weirdest thing is that it feels like Lawrence should be in this offense and Wilson should be in their offensive system

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Agree. When I compare Lawrence and Wilson, and it's not just this game, I see Lawrence's max upside as being Peyton Manning, Wilson's max upside is Brett Favre. Much more fun to have Brett Favre, minus the naughty texts of course.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I thought both QB's looked pretty good yesterday. They both had to make the best of a bad situation. Berrios stepped up for Wilson. Austin stepped up for Lawrence. The rest of the WR's were pretty bad for both. Zach's TD run was awesome, but I am not sure Lawrence would have scored if he stayed in bounds. Likely hit really hard at the 2 or 3 and could have been injured or fumbled at least. Plus the clock would have kept moving. I don't mind him going out at the 5. Plenty of time left and 1st and Goal.

cval, Acad23 and westiedog1 like this.
  8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Trevor Lawrence -- like Pat Mahomes ? -- looked unreal his 1st real year in college (NFL for Mahomes) and then appeared to DECLINE ever so slightly instead of getting better.

I wonder now, if both he and Mahomes had their career years in 2018 ?

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Declining? Or not as good as his MVP season? Mahomes struggled a bit early in the year he had 5 new offensive lineman but he’s still on pace for around a 40 TD/17 INT year with near 5,000 yards depending on how the game scripts go the next two weeks.

10. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Lawrence looked great with the time he had.

Zach looked great under pressure.

I believe Jax and Jet fans ended the game feeling better than when it started. I'm still happy we got the #2 pick last year and got Zach.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Great dude? He threw for 100 yards against a team that allows 350 yards a game at home.

I understand he was missing a lot of players and all, but great?!

No QB looks great throwing for 102 yards unless they’re Lamar Jacksoning all over them.

He played well enough to win that game and didn’t turn the ball over. That doesn’t translate to great.

Jets81, SOJAZ, MoWilkBeast and 6 others like this.
  12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Out of this entire conversation, including the other thread... This is the first time I've seen someone say Zach played great.

He played ok. To say he played great is as equal an illusion to saying Lawrence outplayed him.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He did not need to throw for 300 yards. With how bad our defense is this team cannot win that way. The only way the Jets can win is keep the ball as long as possible.

It is really hard to throw for over 300 yards when the defense gives up points on every drive.

It is easy to look atvthe 100 yards and say he played horrible but when you look at it in context he made great throws to keep drives alive including two fourth down conversions. He had through and ran for another TD. The game plan kept our defense Geoff the field and we still almost blew the game because we went for to many fourth downs because the coaches have zero faith in the defense .

Critique the game not the stats. They tell two different stories.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

No one said he played horrible. But he certainly did not play great.

Why is it hard to throw for 300 yards when the defense is getting shredded? If anything that makes it easier because the opposing defense plays softer. But I’m not really sure what that comment means.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Because you do not have the ball. Ex Philly game

16. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

We were winning most of the game, did not have to throw the ball for most part. Running game was working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I agree that we were winning and the running game was working. I think he would have a “great game” if he did better or was more efficient in red zone. Yeah if he kicked the FGs earlier we wouldn’t have been in a position where JAC nearly stole the game. However I was hoping he put the game out of reach

Sack exchange and kevda5n9ne like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

That’s when you sustain drives. We had the ball for only five less minutes than the Jaguars had it and one less drive. What prevented him from throwing for more yards as it relates to the Jaguars scoring?

That comment again makes no sense.

19. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Not going to rip him for the passing yards. They were running the ball well and Smith had a huge drop which cost him a possession.

barfolomew likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Reading is fundamental here guys. I’m not ripping him for throwing for less yards because of the way the game fell. He did what he had to do to win the game. I’m ripping someone calling that performance “great.”

apjbfc and MoWilkBeast like this.