"Zach not a good fit"says Daniel Jeremiah. Do you change QB or OC?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Dec 21, 2022.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

When we drafted Zach all the emphasis was put on his ability to move around the pocket and make plays with his arm. And that he can make off platform throws, etc. Like a mini Mahomes.

But that isn't the offense we run. Did we not know the offense we were going to run when we drafted him? The amount of stupidity around the Zach pick is mind boggling. We just fell in love and ignored a laundry list of red flags. The irony is Mac Jone woulda been the perfect guy to run this offense, and we could have gotten him for cheap after cleaning up on a trade down. Seriously, it should have been obvious.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No one can run an offense for zach where you run around and play back yard football. it doesnt exist. you cant just roll the kid out every play.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This film is worse than I thought.

Zach Wilson couldn’t even start at a top tier, power 5 college football program right now.

He actually sucks and it’s really not even close.

Nyjets4eva and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You completely missed my point, but go ahead. I said zilch about Zach,which you keep bringing up over and over. Im not sold on MLF and his system yet. He is too green and inflexible. The issue has nothing to do with Zach or White or our future QB but everything to do with buying into MLF as a savvy opportunistic OC. So please don't label people as me and the Zach Wilson crew. I said take QB out of the equation. All the problems I presented with MLF have less to do with the QB play and everything to do with his philosophy of everything has to fit his system, and his play calling. No flexibility. Be it RB, WR, or QB, or OL blocking scheme irrespective of the talent available. He doesn't taylor much at all to fit the talent on hand. How many plays take the runner outside, how often does it trust his runners to give us that one yard on key downs . He has repeatedly avoided using Mims over Berrios in the red zone, because "he knows the whole play book, same with Moore, same with the RB situation. Robinson is a power back and he refuses to use him for the same stupid reason.
    No, absolutely not, the red zone play calling was not just bad on one game either. We have been incapable to consistently run the fucking ball for a TD at the one yard line when is first and goal.
    May be he will grow into a great OC but the narrative that his system is really easy if executed properly by every one has not at all been proven when it counts. With repeated confusing illegal motion penalties by the WR or RB or OL over and over. My two cents.

#84 LAJet, Dec 22, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't think he sucks, I just think his footwork is all out of whack and has become too skittish in the pocket.

One of those is fixable but I'm not so sure about the other one.

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

It’s more than footwork.

He’s also making the wrong decisions on very simple reads like RPOs. He has no timing because he hesitates.

He’s statistically one of the worst QBs in football and his stats as of right now, are lumped in with guys like JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. Not great company.

Is he fixable? He sure is. Does he have all the talent in the world? He sure does. But as of right now, he’s a really shitty quarterback.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  7. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Zach needs an elite oline to make up for his below average processing speed. Zach has proven to be adequate when he has time in the pocket. I’ll give him that. He’s horrendous otherwise. He’s going to get another year anyway. Build an elite oline and see what he can do. If he fails, then we know for sure he’s not the answer.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Every great QB in the league can play basic concept football. Every single one of them. Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, even Lamar Jackson can play the game at a basic level. The difference is on top of that basic skill they ALSO have the added skill of making psomethibg happen when the play breaks down. That’s what makes them great QB’s. Conversely Zach might be able to take advantage of things when the play breaks down sometimes, but he can’t do the basic things every great QB can do. You can’t put Zach in an RPO offense ala Kyler Murray (who is nearly as incompetent as Zach from the pocket), he’s not built to be a running QB. There’s no offensive scheme that suddenly makes Zach respectably good. The only thing that’s going to make Zach good is if Zach spends this off-season studying the game of football on a level of commitment that guys like Manning did. Zach needs to understand how plays matchup against defenses, how defenses work, where the weaknesses are and how to hit a receiver in the middle of the field. Tom Brady became the legend we know because Belichek literally spent day after day with him teaching him about defense, to the point that Tom knew more about defenses than most defensive players. Until Zach has a quality level of NFL intelligence he will struggle in all facets, including his mechanics

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Okay. Fair. I will be less brain dead and engage In the debate you want. I wasn't trying to hit a nerve with that comment. I apologize.

My question Is.. If there are plays to be made on literally almost every play. WR are flying open every play.. How Is this system so bad to you?

No flexibility? The dude has had to adapt to every position you just listed. All year. Due to injuries. I highly doubt there Is many OC's in the league that has had to adapt their system more.

You got to factor In what he Is working with as well. I would hope he knows the strengths and weakness better than any of us, so I trust, given how much tape I've watched, along with live games, that he Is calling these plays In correlation with that very aspect. I am seeing plays that should be made, then I see players that literally just aren't doing what they need to do to capitalize on It. These plays aren't super complicated either most of the time. It's frustrating.

It's very obvious why the use Berrios over Mims. Mims can't catch the ball without using his body and jumping In the air. This causes a few problems. I can break that down further but the probability of Berrios making the play VS Mims, In those situations, are much higher. I wouldn't trust Mims. I'm surprised you would.

Running the ball Isn't always the way to go either though. We almost got completely stuffed with this makeshift OL on a 4&inches on a QB sneak. I don't know that exact percentage of success for that play but It's high. We barely, barely made It work. So, again, that's not our strength so far either. Maybe It'll improve moving forward.

It is an easy system, especially for the QB.

Unfortunately, If you have players that aren't good enough or smart enough to run It, It'll look like dog shit. Just like any system that has a player that simply aint all that good.

Everything you are not okay with, Is execution issues.

If plays weren't constantly being left on the table, every game, all game. Then I'd be more concerned.

I'm just not. This system works very well for QB's that know how to run the system properly.

It's literally the same system as SF. It's run In a very similar way.

Do you think the SF OC sucks too?

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Ok fair. Let’s just dump Zach, I really don’t care. Are you watching the game. Our running game is shit. Our OL is crap. The jags, with shit for OL much much better with game planning. Play calling. Fucking miles ahead by them. . Add that to a far superior QB on their side and his fumble errors are completely mitigated. We can’t get out of our own way game planning wise. That trick play with sastres was completely unrehearsed. Our D can’t not overcome offensive incompetence of this magnitude. We are being out coached across the board.

bicketybam likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

We have injuries out the ass... Yeah dude.. Production tends to dip when that kind of thing happens. It's amazing we are as productive as we are In the run game despite It. The Jags have a better OL, It may slow down a bit after their injury.

Their players are able to execute much better. It's a player issue. Not a scheme issue.

However. The weird trick play, the timing, was dumb. I agree.

Everyone Is getting pushed back on the line. Watch them, seriously. It's not even close.

It's not coaching but keep pounding the table about It.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, can’t disagree with the execution issues. But I never seen so many motion issues. Every other play is an offensive motion penalty. Do you ever see the opposition do that. What the fuck are we doing in practice .

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

False dichotomy-- both the QB and the OC need to go. THe QB is awful, probably the worst in the NFL at reading a defense, making good decisions, and keeping an offense on track.
    The OC is inept and can't scheme a gameplan that makes use of the talent on the roster in relation to the defense. Route schemes and play calling are dogshit.

LAJet likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hey Mean. I’ll give you this. With this putrid OL, out better QB would have cracked a few more ribs. This OL is simply disgraceful.

bicketybam likes this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

I think It's season over buddy. It's unfortunate.

There's an obvious problem, I just want change, I want something that at least smells like a fix. Right now, we aint seeing it.

LAJet likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. But we are being out-coached on the other side of the ball too. Defense is being outplayed and tired because our O can’t do shit. Say hello to Lamar for us next year.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

wrong thread.

LAJet likes this.
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

19. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Z Wilson not a good fit for an NFL QB, period. Fixed it for ya.

heartpumpsgreen likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Unfortunately there’s no good answers at QB to solve this issue

Was hoping Goff would shake free from Detroit but highly unlikely now.

Hate Jimmy Glass, Minshew, White, Geno options. No idea what the Jets do at QB. It’s going to get people fired.

LAJet likes this.