Zach made me a believer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 2, 2022.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

oh the pain.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We were founded by puritans and despite many brags of “freedom” puritans don’t like people to have fun.

K'OB likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Puritans you say lol

MoWilkBeast and Brook! like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm encouraged to see competent play. But like some others have mentioned, this is the exact same script of Darnold's rookie year. He was playing poorly. Then had some mystery foot injury that made him miss a few weeks, and came back looking good the final three games. Not saying Zach is going to have the same overall result, but I'd like to see a complete season next year. He's still the second lowest rated QB in the league, just ahead of Fields, and 3 points lower than Darnold.

5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Yeah, she was sick of the debauchery so she hopped on a boat

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

TL, yes, but Fields? He went into a play-off team, which didn't even have a losing record. He has weapons like Allen Robinson to throw to. Fields is in a good spot compared to the rookie QBs, other than Jones. Zach had to overcome a lot more.

Noam, NCJetsfan, bicketybam and 2 others like this.
  7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

dont feel sorry for any QB drafted in the 1st rnd

Yankee6 likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yah…I think watching the game, Zach played better than the stats would indicate…220 yards and 58% completion is the same kind of mediocre performance numbers that he’s put up pretty much all year, and nothing to get all gushy over. In terms of numbers. Like Ouchy said, still the 2nd lowest ranked QB

ok…all that being said, the eye test looks much better. He went toe to toe with Brady, and if our defense was any good on the last drive, we could have won the game, even with that bad 4th down call. But his throws looked very sharp and into tight windows, with backup receivers who are all scrubs outside of Berrios. And with the starting C and LT and RB out. Gotta hand it to him…I thought he looked good.

I hate that our bar is SO low that ALMOST winning a game is considered a huge accomplishment, but we are where we are…and it was a good hard fought game.

had we been playing like this all year instead of getting demolished so often, that’d be a pun easier year to take, but this was a good showing for Zach, and does give hope. At least to me. If he can do this again against an equally tough Buffalo D, that’ll be exciting going into the offseason.

Brook! likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, this is why people who rely on numbers and stats are so often wrong. Without seeing them in context they don't give anywhere near the complete picture.

Second, whether Zach does as well, or close to as well, against Buffalo still doesn't negate what he's done so far, or what he did yesterday against the defending SB champs. Buffalo always plays the Jets tough, often beating us even when they suck. And they won't be overlooking us after yesterday. And we don't know if Fant or Carter will be able to play or any of the other missing starters. Finally, the weather may be a factor as it often is in January in Buffalo. There are more reasons why Zach - and the team - will struggle than for them doing well, so anyone eager to jump on those possible struggles to say "See? I told you it was all a fluke!" should think again. Of course, it's possible that Zach and the Jets give Buffalo a good game, and what I'm certainly hoping for, but the reality is that it'll be very hard to duplicate what they did yesterday given those conditions I noted.

cval, Borat, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Four straight games wo an INT is IMPRESSIVE. Is that a Jets record ???? Also, anybody know what the team record is for most straight throws wo an INT ???

EDIT - I actually did some checking, the Jets record for most consecutive games wo an INT is 7, held by Sanchez across two seasons.

Brook! likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Don't know the record, but I know Sanchez had 5 games without one to open the 2010 season.

12. ColoradoContrails

And Sanchez had a professional OL to work behind, with much better receivers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's the thing about the US. We're one country, but the whole system was set up as 50 independent countries (states) that just got together for the common defense and some other things that would benefit all. We've never really wised up and grown up. It's way past time that the laws should be standardized nationwide and not vary from state to state. It's just nuts! It's grossly inefficient and confusing. Sadly, it will probably never happen. People with power like to hold onto their power and will fight to the death to keep it. We'd still need state and local governments to administer and enforce the federal laws and moneys, and administrate any smaller, local laws and issues.

K'OB likes this.
  14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner! I have been critical of Wilson all season and even last week I wasn't convinced but yesterday, he made a believe in me. The fact that we had 5 QBs that sucked in the last 10 seasons is enough to may anyone jaded and while that maybe an excuse, I just didn't see anything to convince me, until yesterday's game, that he can be FQB.

His passes were accurate, and some had the wow factor. I haven't read all the posts but kudos to those who believed in him when many of us didn't...that includes the FO and CS.

Cman, watch the game, in my opinion he played as well as Brady and its relly unfortunate we lost to that chump..but our day is coming, and his name is Zack Wilson.

Mogriffjr, Borat, Jeff M and 5 others like this.
  15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

PS... get some sure handed WR and TE and look out!!!!!

Mogriffjr, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

[
    It's premature, but this makes me very happy. You asked me before the season my thoughts on the team and Zach. I'm sure that he'll probably have more bad games in his career, but I still really do believe that he's is going to be a great QB, a top 10, if not top 5 QB in the NFL, and we are going to win a LOT of games because of him. I'm gratified that you and other darksiders are starting to see what I've seen in Zach all along. He has struggled more than I thought he would, but I knew he would keep working hard, improving, and doing his best, which would be plenty good enough. He wants to learn and be the best he can be. He's driven by that. That's what gives me complete confidence that next season he's going to come to camp knowing this offense backwards and forwards, confident, and ready to lead this team forward. He has been through a lot and learned a lot this season, and it's going to make him a much better QB and sooner than if everything had been easy sailing this season.

Borat, Jeff M, Noam and 2 others like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Because the bold doesn't show up in any stats or numbers many uninformed fans ignore this critical aspect of a player. It's what I saw when I watched him at BYU, and why I said that his game against Coastal Caroline was actually a good game because it showed these traits. Like you, I'm glad that some of the diehard doubters are finally seeing the truth.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am not sold on Zach but I would not trade him for any QB in the 2021 draft class.

Why I am not sold is playing QB is hard and most young QBs on bad teams will fail. Playing QB is more mental than anything else. Once a young QB meets adversity and their confidence goes they might never get that confidence back and then everything falls apart.

Zach was ready to start the season but the rest of the team was not. The OL did not get preseason time together and could not block, Moore was coming off injury and was not ready, Carter was not ready and ML was not ready. Zach tried to do it all himself while running for his life. Predictably, this did not work, his confidence went south and his mechanics broke down making even easy throws difficult and he lost his pocket presence and was taking big hits he would normally avoid. Getting hurt was the best thing for him allowing him to reset.

So far he has responded to this adversity well and put together three straight good games, regained his confidence, cleaned up his mechanical issues, regained his poise and pocket presence, and has learned to trust his reads and get the ball out quickly.

Zach does seem tough mentally but what happens when he experiences adversity next year and the year after? Will he lose his confidence again? We don't know how he will perform under pressure. It concerns me he fell apart so badly this year but it also encourages me that he was able to rebound so strongly. He did the same in college after his second year.

Again, I am not sold but I am encouraged by his smarts, his football IQ and his ability to fight back from adversity. I am more concerned about fixing the rest of the team than Zach. Give Zach a better defense, better OL and healthier better weapons and he is much more likely to play well. But either way we will know a lot more about how good Zach is and will be after we see him play next year.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Great QBs these days throw 3 or more times as many TDs as INTs, regularly have 300+ yards passing, and post passer ratings in the mid 100s or better. I get Zach's playing on a bad team right now, but do you really think he's going to be that good?

20. ColoradoContrails

Yes, he will be that good.

And you're relying on raw numbers to tell you what can't be defined simply by stats. Context is the biggest factor. You can dismiss the major obstacles that Zach had to overcome this season but that doesn't make them go away. If you go back and look at Wilson's entire career, starting in high school until now, you'll see a player who has risen to every challenge and come out ahead. And when you combine that with what he did after struggling early and getting hurt, and then coming back to play like he has, that's clear evidence that his desire to succeed and win is at the elite level. To dismiss or diminish his accomplishments would be like how Brady's accomplishments were dismissed. No, I'm not saying Wilson will be as good or better than Brady, but let's say he becomes 75% as good as him, that would still probably out him in the HOF.