Zach Lost us 2 (Almost 3) Games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 10, 2021.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Zach you do not have carry the team the team will carry you. Then completely treat the kid like seasoned pro asking him to win every game. More has been put on this kids plate than any of the other rookies. It will benefit him the long run.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, well said, @jaywayne12! I said that after the Patriots game. He threw 4 interceptions, cost the Jets the game, but I loved his lack of fear. I loved his willingness to attack the Patriots. It did not work, and a conservative game plan would actually have been a better approach, but I liked his effort. I liked that he never folded too. And that was his worst game so far.

He was off in London, but that makes sense. Still a good learning experience for him. I have watched a lot of Jets football since 1993, and I have not been more excited for a QB since Chad Pennington. I think Zach Wilson is the real deal. It will just take time for him to adjust to the NFL, his offensive coordinator to learn how to call games, and the rest of the young roster around him to continue to improve.

cval and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Scott Norwood approves this message.

legler82 likes this.
  4. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

It took one year. The fact that Saleh said “everyone wanted to throw josh Allen away after his first two years” shows how little effort he put into the comparison and his lack of nfl knowledge.

In Allen’s 2nd year he threw for 3,000 yards, scored 30 touchdowns, only threw 9 interceptions, won 10 games, lead his team to the playoffs, and was voted as a top 100 player by his peers. I can always tell anyone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about by how they classify Allen’s second year, lumping into the first year and acting like he did nothing good until his 3rd year. Extremely lazy analysis

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think his point was he didn't really blow up until last year.

Allen greatly improved in his second year but it's not like he was crushing it. He finished 24th in the league in Quarterback Rating and 25th in QBR.

Again, much improved from Year 1 but not exactly MVP numbers either, not even league average numbers tbh. With that context, I think what Saleh said makes a little more sense.

LF911SC and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Davis didnt just trip, he fell. That INT was entirely on Davis

So, our rookie QB has had a hard time in his first five games. No kidding, anyone who's watched this game knows without a loaded roster the rookie QB would probably struggle.

But hey, lets pile on. The game he played lights out to beat Tenn, we should take It away from him just to help whatever point youre trying to make.
    Mahomes sat and had a year to learn, a year to straighten out his mechanics, which were horrendous when he showed up to his first camp

#166 LF911SC, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    BradysTornACL likes this.
  7. LF911SC

Mahomes didnt play as a rookie.
    Lawrence has been erratic, nowhere near Luck, Herbert or Burrow. Dont think anyone cares in Jax

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

What mechanical problems did Mahomes need to straighten out?

9. LF911SC

Go back and read the articles. They said from Reid on down they were shocked how bad his mechanics were and that he had the worst mechanics they had seen

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/6/9/15682584/patrick-mahomes-texas-tech-chiefs

10. legler82

Isn’t that a fan site? Also many of the draft pundits writing “articles” didn’t even have Mahomes as a top 10 pick and barely a 1st round pick. You think if Andy Reid had Mike White instead of veteran incumbent MVP candidate Alex Smith as his alternative, he would have sat Mahomes to “straighten out his mechanics”?

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Where does it say anything that links Andy Reid to saying they need to rework his mechanics?

Maybe it's just me but I don't see much of a difference in his college mechanics to his pro mechanics. They're still "bad" by traditional standards but he is unbelievably accurate no matter how he's throwing the ball or to what part of the field.

legler82 likes this.
  12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Nah man, that makes no sense. Again, 3,000 yards, 30 tds, 9 ints, won 10 games, took his team to the playoffs, rated a top 100 player in the league. There were 11 qbs ranked ahead of him on that list, meaning he’s ranked #12. Saleh (and collinsworth) are saying people wanted to “throw him away” after that year which is just patently false. You’re trying to justify their comments by saying “well he didn’t have mvp numbers” and that’s obvious, and also irrelevant. The question at hand is would anyone have “thrown him away” after that awesome year and the answer is clearly and obviously hell no.

Ralebird and legler82 like this.
  13. LF911SC

No its not.
    And I did enough work, theyre are plenty of other articles that say exactly the same, they mirror everything that was said about Mahomes and why he went into that draft as a day two pick, at best.

14. LF911SC

This isnt meant to be an argument, this is what he was as a rookie. He had shltty mechanics, his foot work sucked and that was the scouting report on him. Its why he was a day two, days three pick heading into the draft. That and he wasnt incredibly accurate in college. He was a mid 50%, 63 & 65% seasons? Not a Josh Allen mess but not exceptional like Zach who was 63, 65 & 73% and look at the struggles hes had in year 1

15. legler82

So you are saying those that considered him a day 2 pick at best were right?

[​IMG]

16. LF911SC

How on any level does that come into play?

Its like saying the same about Brady, or Rodgers should have fallen in the draft. Guys playing above their draft spot happen every year

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why haven't his mechanics changed at all though? That was a part of your argument.

I don't doubt that it was the perception of him having mechanic flaws in his motion was real. What I doubt is that the Chiefs saw it as some deep-seeded issue that would prevent him from being a good quarterback.

His motion is pretty much the same as it was in college. He sat because they had the luxury to do so and he likely had no idea how to read an NFL defense and spent his rookie season learning to do so (*cough* like Wilson should've).

legler82 likes this.
  18. legler82

Mahomes was the 10th overall pick so I’m confused how this relates to Brady. Are you saying the guys who thought he was a Day 2 prospect were right and KC just reached and got lucky? I’m confused.

I got a story for you. Back in 1991 the Jets had Favre rated as the BEST PLAYER IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT and would have drafted him with their 8th overall pick had they not forfeit it by drafting Rob Moore in the Supplemental draft. Since Brett slipped to the 2nd round, they, apparently, were the only team to think he was worthy of a first round pick which was in line with the draft punditry. We ultimately ended w/ Browning Nagle as Favre was picked one pick ahead. So were we right or wrong?

#178 legler82, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  19. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I still have way more confidence in zach than i ever did darnold. Zach has poise.

20. legler82

I think he’s more talented but my confidence level is the same.