Zach Lost us 2 (Almost 3) Games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 10, 2021.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is simply just not the case with rookies supposed to be good right away.

It is the exception with rookie QB that are good out of the gate. Herbert and Burrows

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I've replied to your posts several times with the analysis that the only good starting quarterbacks in the league that have thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in the league right now are Stafford and Allen (Goff if you consider him "good").

So no, you're right in that they're not always good right away. But the ones that become good, do not turn the ball over at higher clips than they convert for touchdowns.

You forgot Carr, Murray, Lamar Jackson, Dak, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Roethlisberger, Baker, etc.

#222 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

How can you get a rhythm if you are missing basic throws and causing three and outs?

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Russell was good but definitely had growing pains on a stacked team, Carr was not great, DW played like three games. Rothesberher was not good his rookie season he was on a stacked team. Baker had a decent rookie campaign then struggled.

I think it is safer to say rookie QBs on good teams play better. Rookie QBs that are asked to carry the team struggle.

We will see there is a lot football yet to play.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

They were all much much better than Wilson has been. He still has time to turn that around, but using the metrics I've provided it's a massive uphill battle to become a good player with such a bad rookie year (if his season trends the same way it's started).

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ok but if we’re gonna say that about Wilson then I guess you probably think all the rookie QBs are facing an uphill battle, because they all look shitty

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I already did.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

I hope you are right about Wilson. I just wanna say I think it’s funny that you compared a Mormon to a young Favre.

young favre struggled because he was wasted every night. Can’t be that with Wilson :)

NYJetsO12 and LF911SC like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

Fair enough, chances are they all aren’t gonna be busts though. Might as well be our guy that turns out to be good

cval likes this.
  10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Yeah, except he already in the league 2-3 years and still would struggle with his nerves early in games.
    There was never a time where QBs were expected to struggle for 4-5 years, it was generally thought they needed 3 years to learn by sitting and watching and doing mop up duty
    Young QBs dont get thrown in because they are part of the pass friendly NFL, but because college teams now run more advanced and many run NFL type offenses. Still doesnt guarantee a thing and most struggle their first go round

barfolomew likes this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I actually think it is the opposite. More pro teams are running college type offenses .

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly, and if being nervous and missing easy passes isn't typical of a rookie, what is? Rookie QBs are generally overwhelmed. They're adapting to the speed of the NFL, trying to figure out much more complex Ds, thinking too much, and their head is often swimming. Players with the accuracy, smarts, and arm talent that Zach has don't have the "yips" and continue with those things once they settle in and get comfortable.

#232 NCJetsfan, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    LF911SC likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is even more true when that rookie QB has a rookie HC, rookie OC, an OL that isn't protecting him, and his receivers are dropping passes.

14. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Our own Zach is an example, the offense he ran at BYU was similar to the Shanahan offense we're running now. Most colleges run offenses that would never run in the NFL without killing the QB but they do run aspects of the offense on occasions