Zach Benched

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 23, 2022.

1. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

It took Geno Smith almost a decade to figure out and develop, If Zack follows suit i'd say no thanks. I do not want to wait a decade to finally figure out.

papapump, Cman68 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Flacco didn't look competent to me. He sucked the first three games of the season.

Snatch Catch and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You guys keep thinking Zach Must be better because he was taken #2 overall. Let's face it.....it means NOTHING.

Good Grief, go over the busts of the last 25 years....Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Aikili Smith, Jamarcus Russel.....tons of Top 5's and lots of #1 and #2 overalls.

If Zach Wilson had come out after 2019, he would have been a 4th Round pick at best. Contrast that with Lawrence and Smith, who if they had come out a year earlier each would have been the #1 overall again and Smith would have probably been a 1st or 2nd rounder somewhere.

I didn't even HEAR of Zach Wilson until early-2021. I wanted to keep Sam Darnold and trade the pick to SanFran for 4 #1 draft picks or 3 #1's and a couple of 2nds....barring that, take Ja'Marr Chase as a big, tall, WR who has an insatiable work ethic. Chase makes a CRAPPY QB into a decent one....I think Sam would have been Top 12, maybe Top 10 with Chase which is GOOD ENOUGH with this defense.

I think the reason they picked Zach instead of staying with Sam (who JD liked in 2018) was (1) they wanted their own guy (2) they didn't want to pay Sam $30 MM or so (which in retrospect, would be cheap) because the cap was already tight I believe.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well yeah, there's that.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't either and I wasn’t advocating for it, just bringing up an example.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It is absolutely telling that 2 of Zach's best games in his career from a statistical standpoint were probably his 1st and 4th (Tennessee).

I'm not sure if that speaks more to Zach or to coaching though.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

This is the right move. The closer you watch film the further away you see Zach is from being an NFL QB. It's honestly really, really alarming. Any QB with any semblance of pocket presence and field vision would have won us that game.

I'm not expecting much from Mike White, but if he can just make good reads and hit easy passes, they'll probably win some games

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If you actually read the post, it never says it's all MLF's fault. Just that MLF, and IMO Calabrese, have some skin in this game. They're watching the film too and it's their job to coach up their QB. Maybe they're doing that behind the scenes and Zach's reverting back during games? I honestly have no idea.

None of this is to say that the primary culprit isn't Zach. His mechanics deteriorating in front of our eyes is the primary reason he's in the position he's in, but if you think MLF and Calabrese don't have even a little bit of culpability here, I don't know what to tell you.

Also a bit disingenuous to compare Flacco's 3 games vs Zach's, don't ya think? Flacco was averaging 51-52 attempts a game. Zach was averaging basically half that, 27. It's pretty obvious they had different game plans for the 2 QBs and faced different game situations. Finally, Flacco didn't look good in his 3 starts this year. Not even competent. Flacco had worse QBRs in 2 of his 3 starts than Zach has had all year but because he was throwing for 300 yards a game, it looks a lot more appealing. Flacco was bad this year, almost as bad as Zach. There's a reason they're giving Mike White a shot and not going back to Flacco.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

And Mahomes didn't start until his second season.

10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

While I am not sure that keeping Zach off the field for a while will ultimately be the best decision, I am sure about this: It's a milestone for our still young head coach. I am impressed with him taking control of the situation, I've always liked Sales, but he's made mistakes handling injury news and probably other things too. I'd rather see him explaining and taking ownership of a QB change than running up and down steps and wearing slogan T shirts.

11. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I think Zach needs to shut everything around him out. I’m talking Social media, group chats, family, friends, and Milfs. I think it’s all mental with Zach and he’s overstimulating his mind. I’m not even a Zach fan and I can say he would benefit a lot if he went rogue and just focused on only football for a while.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We should have traded down in 2021, but Sam is trash. Now if we'd traded down and drafted Fields, we may have had something.

13. george sakell

Flacco was averaging 51-52 attempts per game because Mlf and the coaching staff trust him, how bad do you have to be for the coaching staff not to trust you to throw the ball on a team that didn't have any expectations this year? What do you think the coaching staff just turned their #2 pick into a game manager for no reason?

14. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

The fact that Zach's foot fundamentals are terrible and he can't execute basic easy (>75% completion rate across NFL) passes like screens, short-outs, etc.....bodes terribly for our ability to salvage this guy.:(

How in GOD'S NAME did the coaching staff and draft "experts" not see this ? Did they look at the 2019 tape against college teams or just the 2020 tape against high school teams ?

We're not talking about an inability to read a Cover-2 or Deep Safety defense while throwing the ball 30 yards downfield along the sideline. We're talking wide-open receivers less than 10 yards from the QB.

Taking Zach at #2 is going to turn out to be an all-time NY Jets bust. Worst pick of all time -- and I was willing to live with his mistakes at the NFL-level, but NOT mistakes that get cleared up as a Freshman or Sophmore in college. :mad:

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

So let me preface this by disclosing that I was strongly against drafting Zach. He was a one year wonder against a cupcake schedule in empty stadiums. That said, I do believe our FO is not
    Only looking at the current prospects of the draft, but I believe they were looking ahead as well. Not only was Zach’s class pathetic, so too was the current class this past draft. I think our FO knew that and decided it was best to take a flyer when they did vs waiting to grab a guy. I think they overrated Zach’s ability to run, and figured that he had more potential than Fields as a passer. All of which I can at least understand. What I can’t understand is why they annointed him the starter immediately. They should have brought in a better veteran than Flacco and let Zach sit for at least a year to learn the basics.

rscherwin and JetsKickAss like this.
  16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

You had to take a QB in that draft. Sam had been here 3 years and had shown little signs of improvement. And he had more excuses than Zach as his supporting cast in his first two seasons was bad. But his 3rd year was terrible from the beginning. You couldn't give him a 4th year when he was about to get a big raise. Especially when you have the #2 pick in what was widely considered a great QB draft on paper. You can argue Zach vs Fields vs Lance, but you can't argue Sam vs [draft pick]. I thought Zach and Fields were similar caliber prospects and was fine with either. Throw in that the 2021 class looked bad on paper, and it was a no-brainer to go QB in that draft.

JetFanInNE and Borat like this.
  17. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Zach had his most efficient game against the Bills then regressed last Sunday.

Granted his mechanics have been shaky all season. He needs to get back to the fundamentals, work with a coach and come back ready for action. He has a cannon for an arm. I believe he can still helm the Jets.

#157 BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  18. george sakell

If 152 yards 1 td is his most efficient game as a Nfl Qb no wonder he is not dressing up this weekend.

azhar80 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The more I listen to the CS and the more I read about Zach issues, mostly focused on lower body positioning to optimize leverage and accuracy I wonder what have the QB coach and OC done all this time in that area to fix the problem before giving him a chance to start. Garrett even hinted we had an issue in practice. In fact we took the QB guru last year that really helped him the second half of the season in that area and decided not to bring him back.

20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Zach did enough to help his team win the game. He wasn't a world beater, Joe Montana the sequel. But, considering his recent woes his throws were on point, he didn't have any int's and got the job done.