Zach Benched

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 23, 2022.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Glad to see that

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Much better press conference today. He may never play another snap, but he needed that

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If we were playing the Pats I wouldn’t announce it till game time

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He will be back under center at some point. This leadership is not ready to give up on him yet

5. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Can't blame the coaching staff. Zach was given every opportunity to take the bull by the horns. Come to think of it, maybe that's the problem; he needs to earn his opportunity instead of having it handed to him.

6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

The cs doing exactly what they should

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad didn't start a game until the beginning of year 3. As a matter of fact he didn't start until Vinny was benched after game 4.

The CS went back and forth on the question until Vinny started slowing down so much they couldn't ignore it.

This was because Vinny had a cannon and Chad had a below average arm for velocity. Way above NFL average on touch and accuracy but below on strength.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

...and Herm....

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Herm was always a vet's coach. That's what you get out of an ex-player who was good but not great. Respect for all the guys who are good but not great.

Also: Herm had 33 picks in his career. I'm sure he looked at Chad's arm as a pick in the making given his background as a safety.

rscherwin likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do think Zach is a good guy, and will be fine from leadership perspective - the interview today showed he was truly humbled, and learned from his mistakes. If he starts playing better, everything will take care of itself. But the key is, he needs to improve his game, and improve a lot. That's much easier said than done. I am not sure if it can be done in a few weeks, but maybe if for the next month he can solely focus on fundamentals without game planning for next team, he could make a meaningful improvement, then pick up the rest in the off-season and then win the competition against a solid veteran we will bring in. We can only hope at this point.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

-It ain't the coaches fault that Zach sails balls over receivers heads or turfs it 5 yards in front of them.
    -It ain't the coaches fault that Zach continually fails to step up in the pocket and bails under light pressure.
    -It ain't the coaches fault that Zach that he misses open receivers.
    -It ain't the coaches fault that Zach that yards & points are left on the field because he hesitates making throws.

Tell me what you think Zach does well... more to the point... what is Zach doing well within the system he's been tasked to run?

They might have told him to be careful with the football... I doubt they told him to play like shit while doing so...:confused:

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean now, yes Zach definitely needed to sit a year, maybe even two. People suddenly don’t subscribe to this theory, thinking game day experience is the only way but they’re wrong. I’m older too, QB’s back in those days didn’t play in pro systems in college. They sat on the bench to learn NFL level offensive and defensive strategies. You can’t learn those in real time if you don’t understand what’s going on in the first place. Not unless you have the ability to make plays with your legs like Allen did. To me I think that’s my biggest disappointment. Zach was touted by his supporters as a “Mahomes” like QB. Mahomes can run though, Zach can’t. He’s fragile and he does not like being hit. We can’t risk the injury if he decides to keep running. So I agree in your thinking, much like the QB’s of our days Zach would’ve been best sitting and learning about NFL football.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  13. stinkyB

these are the 2 major issues that are hard to dispute...

people can debate scheme, playcalling, etc all they want, but those are 2 basic fundamentals required of a QB no matter what the play calling is..... and sadly it's been lacking

All Gas No Shake, Acad23 and REVISion like this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We'll see about the humbled part.

For me to believe he's been truly humbled he'll have to come back next season with completely reworked mechanics which mean he's no longer completely inaccurate. He's been missing easy throws literally his entire professional career, if it was an easy fix why hasn't he fixed it yet? He needs to start from square one, and that's going to take at least an entire offseason even if he makes an honest attempt to do it.

Jets79 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Right decision for the team and ZW. Kudos to JD/RS for making the call and also for RS bring
    MLF to the wood shead. He came across humble ...like the kid who got smack upside the head because he lied about taking cookies...when crumbs were on his shirt!

My hope for the team sake is that ZW gets his shit together and fast. There is a lot of stats that say it may not (or probably will not) happen but hope is a funny thing in life... I also noticed that MLF presser stated several times about ZW lower body mechanics.

Lets hope the "reset" works and the kid devellops into a viable - not great - but viable NFL QB.

For now, lets support MW he is the starting QB.

16. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

Bench the bum. Coach is trying to save Zach mentally. Fans were going to crush him. Don't let the door hit you on the way out

17. stinkyB

Calm down eddie, he's benched

[​IMG]

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course those things are not the coaches - directly at least. But what have they been doing to identify and correct these tendencies? Is Zach just being pigheaded or is he just stupid or incapable of improving? His body of work going back to H.S. says no.

If Zach was NOT doing anything well, how could he have led them to a 5-2 record? And of course he didn't do this on his own, but the fact remains he was the QB on the field. He did enough to secure victory. But how much of his struggles are due to him trying to tailor his natural game and instincts to what the CS wants? IDK, but for whatever reason the Jets seemed to handcuff him somewhat. Was that because they thought his more open, Favre-esque style of play wasn't suitable or fit within their "system", or because they didn't think his mechanics/footwork were ready for more? I can't say, but it's clear that asked him to play differently than he did at BYU, and he hasn't yet adjusted to that from the way it looks. Who's at fault here? Is it really a good thing to draft a guy based on what he's shown you he can do in college and then force fit him into a system that may or may not be conducive to his strengths? I don't think so. I don't think Andy Reid would do that, or did do that with Mahomes. I think this is what the Jets have done their entire history post-Namath, although they're not alone in this approach, and that's why so few teams succeed at drafting and developing QBs.

In any case, it is what it is for now, and Zach simply has to get back to basics and get his footwork and mechanics straightened out. Hopefully he can make significant improvement and be able to return shortly because when he's right he shows elite ability.

19. stinkyB

"I can't say, but it's clear that asked him to play differently than he did at BYU"

How can they not? He's not playing against the Mountain West Conference, he's in the NFL.
    You draft a kid based on what they think he can become, NOT what he did in the past.... As a JETS fan I hope he achieves that, but so far he hasnt done much at this point to validate it. Hopefully this "reset" is what it takes....

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Love the decision even if it’s one half too late.

Wish they were dressing Steveler instead of Flacco at backup tho.
    Seriously why is Flacco still on the team? Terrible mentor and only QB worse than Wilson.