Zach Benched

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Nov 23, 2022.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Damned my friend. May I suggest any used top current NY Patriots Jersey to break the curse. A T.Hill from the Dolphins would be nice.

FinnishJET likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I always was worried losing Greg Knapp was a big blow, and it appears it was even more monumental than I could have imagined. That was Greg's role, we never quite replaced it. I am now wondering if Zach is too far gone. Seems like only 1.5 seasons, but Zach appears to have major mental issues. Looking at Nania's film, it appears he just doesn't know when to pull the trigger. There was a moment in the game where Zach took 8 yard sack. "1st & 10 – Qtr: 4, (10:52) (Shotgun) Z.Wilson sacked at NYJ 10 for -8 yards (K.Dugger)."

Mims is wide ass open for 7 yards with a few yards to gain and at least a first down. No safety, so if DB misses the tackle or Mims breaks, he could go all the way. But at least a first down. Zach winded up to make this wide open throw and then pulls back and takes a sack. A lot of other plays are similar too, but this one was obvious, because he literally winds up and doesn't pull the trigger. This to me is something you cannot just git rid of mid season. This is a deeply mental issue, from which I am not even sure there is a way back - definitely not a quick way. It's almost like he needs a psychologist, which for a QB is not a good thing. I am not even counting he can fix it for this year. I am praying maybe after 6 months of working with Beck he can get over this and get back to his roots, but it does not look promising right now. The only thing that gives me hope is that he did recover in College after the second year to turn BYU program around in his 3d year and deliver amazing season, but overall this is not looking great for the Jets.

azhar80, Nyjets4eva, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not sure Zach's class was pathetic. Fields is balling out right now putting up a lot of points on the board with weapons around him half of what Zach has. TL is having a solid season and has taken a second year leap under new coaching. We don't know much about Lance since he is out for the year. Mac Jones we knew was going to be a game manager, and he actually had a break out game last night, and I thought has done OK in the last 3 games after bad start, including against us. Also, Mac has no offensive coordinator and no good WRs. The only 1st round guy who looked really terrible so far is Zach, and it is not even close.

What's discouraging is that he was in the best situation. He didn't have to learn new playbook, had coaching continuity, had best weapons around him out of anyone in the class. If JD say picked Fields, like many on the boards were saying, this is no joke, we may be SB favorites right now, or #2 behind KC. So, JD made absolutely the right choice to go after the QB, it's just that in the debate on whom to take between Zach vs Fields, these of us who were leaning Zach turned out to be wrong. Unfortunately JD was in that camp as well.

SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good points. As you know, Greg was selected because JD and the CS knew Zach was far from ready and needed a guru to develop his raw skills and fix his bad habits such as standing in the pocket and lower body posture and footwork in throws. That never happened. Las year the QB coach help him a bunch, and Zach looked a lot better than he does now. He has regressed in 2022 under the OC as the only voice. As for his mental issues, I strongly believe is not his reading the play fast enough but this mortal fear of throwing and interception and not trusting his instinct. I wholeheartedly believe the CS has completely overemphasized that Zach first priority is to protect the ball and not throw an interception, to the point that his confidence has eroded to zippo, and now his instincts are out the window and he overthinks every play till is too late, thus taking a sack or throwing it away. I think starting in practice they need to force him to let it rip as soon as he sees the play, interception or not, until he gets into the proper rhythm with his offense and get his confidence back. Playing scared football doesn't cut it. Its definitely mental, but IMO is complete lack of confidence in his reads and proper lower body position in his throws. He needs a QB guru more than ever.

JetFanInNE and Noam like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If JD and the CS knew Zach had issues that needed to be ironed out before he hit the field they mucked the whole thing up by putting him out there right away.

The last year and a half has been pretty infuriating for a long time fan who has sat through this type of failure over and over again.

Nyjets4eva, SOJAZ, rscherwin and 3 others like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was definitely handled poorly. Just handing Zach the job. No true veteran back-up QB on the roster to help him learn or push him either. I hated those decisions, but thought it was an indication of how much faith and belief they had in Zach. Reading what we have in recent days, it looks like an even bigger blunder now.

Having said that, I thought Zach survived all that and looked pretty good down the stretch in 2021. Definitely in the Jaguars and Buccaneers games. I thought 2022 would be a big jump. Then he showed up in the Eagles game, looked bad, and instantly got injured. Came back against Pittsburgh and looked like his usual up and down self, but pulled out a win. Still, nothing has felt quite right this year. Some games he was solid enough, others he was terrible. I wanted to see consistent progress, but it has not happened yet.

Still waiting for that game where he commands the offense and leads the Jets to victory. Looks like I am going to have to wait even longer now.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I said this a lot this off-season that the problem with Zach's struggles being mental and lack of confidence is in football there will always be adversity and down times and if one is struggling mentally with confidence it will be very hard to play consistently well. Being a good QB is not about flash plays it is about playing consistently well within the structure of the offense. He showed some consistency the last 7 games and the first two this year but the constant ups and downs provides little confidence that he can ever play at a high level consistently. There will always be adversity and if he loses confidence when things go bad how will he ever play consistently. Paiva highlights how one bad throw and everything in his game shuts down week after week. I hope he comes back and proves me wrong. When things click he can play at an extremely high level. The 3rd and 4th quarters against Pitt and the Miami game this year was really beautiful. He is the best QB prospect the Jets have drafted since Namath in terms of high end talent but he looks mentally done. Maybe he can have a come to Jesus moment like he did after year 2 at BYU and reinvent himself again but personally I have no faith in Zach after his last 5 games and his comments to the media the week before and after the NE game. Mentally, I have moved on to the question of who we will bring in next year as our FA QB.

Nyjets4eva, SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Now wait for people to tell you that he’s not on the team anymore (which we know) and that he can’t possibly know how the players feel about Wilson. A lots changed since then, etc etc.

Those comments shouldn’t come as much of a surprise though, based on some of the things we’ve seen and heard.

9. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

watching Mac Jones last night (and vs Jets) just puts ZW's suckness into perspective. Would take Mac 10 out of 10 hindsight.....

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Mac is who he is. Limited. However, he can make the basic throws that Zach has not been able to lately. I still would take Zach because of his potential. I don't think Mac will get much better than what he is, but like I said on draft day, that is still good enough to win 10 games a year for Belichick, which seems to be their plan.

11. Br4d

The logical move in the 2021 draft was to trade the #2 down and take one of the other QB's lower in the round. Taking the 2nd QB on the #2 pick has been an outright loser just about every time it has happened.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Just taking the 2nd QB in the draft has poor odds. Since 2000 only a handful were truly special.

We have 3 or 4 of the duds I think.

Br4d likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes completely agree Brad..but if White doesn't play well enough?? We are all psyched for his success but but but what if the opposite takes place??? Of course in Jet World that can happen anytime ..sigh

That's a nightmare because your Wild card spot is slipping away

Then what are we left with??: the 3 Amigos all bad options >>Zac Flacco and White

Then the Xmas present arrives>>>Chris Strevelor riding a Reindeer to the rescue????

Sounds like a bizarre but oh so believable SOJ scenario lol

Br4d likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Who was the last CFL Qb to start an NFL game?

15. Br4d

I don't think White is going to fail.

Quite possible he gets injured though. He kind of has that "like an egg back there" vibe going.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Used to happen with some regularity. Not recently though.

Warren Moon, Joe Theismann and Jeff Garcia all started in the CFL before coming to the NFL. There have been others but I think those are the most recognizable names that began in the CFL and then played well in the NFL.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Geno ... another example of why patience matters in developing a FQB.

Geno was ready to rock in 2015. And then Ike. And then the media and all of us wrote him off. He got his next chance 7 years later. MVP contention.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So, its not impossible for Strev to play well in the NFL even after coming from the CFL and having prior NFL experience..?

19. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

THIS!

Until the Jets learn to develop a FQB, Robert Saleh will fail at his goal of multiple Super Bowls

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

On the bright side it has given you a lot of post material ;)

Br4d and Cman68 like this.