Your Quick Jets Draft for 2012

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Apr 25, 2012.

1. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

So because we're ground and pound we don't need depth at WR? That's ridiculous...so shall we line up in a double TE set every down?

2. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Think of Floyd as a better version of Braylon. He makes crazy catches, is a deep threat, can go over the middle, and is the best blocking WR in this draft. How would that not improve our team? We are a running team but we do pass, and in order to work an offense in the NFL we need to have consistent WRs. Floyd, Holmes, and Kerley would be excellent for Sanchez.

Once you open the passing game you open up the run game and vice versa.

3. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Floyd makes the team more well-rounded and less predictable. His selection makes defenses have to account for more, and thus they can't just contain the run. If you're going to blabber about how you think you're going to win games, you better have more than just a plan A. He also punctuates the running game with his eager, physical blocking.

Sorry, but Chaz Schilens shouldn't stand in the way of picking up the franchise WR for the next 5 years.

4. Going4TheGreen

Haha, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I like the idea of having someone waiting in the wings for Scott's departure. Not to mention I like the idea of refreshing the linebackers in general.

5. JohnnyThaJet

Haha hes a great prospect so I can see why people chose him, I just hope posters have watched him prior to just selecting a name.

We need a kid to groom behind Scott for this year and hopefully to start next season, Goode is perfect for that role and can learn from Scott. He has all the tools needed to be a solid LB, I'd be happy if Rex got his hands on him.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I understand ya, he looks great, but didnt we just pay Holmes the big money? Im sick of this 1-year replacements as anyone else but couldnt we find some depth in the 2nd round?

Im no draft expert at all, so sorry if im coming off as clueless

7. JohnnyThaJet

Its fine, and yes we can, guys like Sanu and Jeffery in the second or Marvin Jones and Greg Childs in the third would all be solid pickups but the problem is passing up Floyd to only hope for those guys instant smart.

When talent is there you take it and run.

8. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

mark sanchez thrives in play action and michael floyd is extremely good at run blocking. if we go floyd in round and OT in round 2, our offense could be one of better ones in the league. shonn greene can be extremely effective if he has a good OL (it really dropped this season) and if he can start running better, that opens up the play action for mark sanchez. also holmes benefits from this as defenses now have to account for another WR

9. facch

facch Active Member

After reading numerous mock drafts/player rankings, reading plenty of analysis and watching a decent amount of CFB here's my (far from expert) outlook:

There's three guys I would love to see us draft at 16 (in the following order)-

Melvin Ingram OLB
    Michael Floyd WR
    Mark Barron Safety

One thing we all know about the draft is players fall unexpectedly. Everyone teams boards are different, their needs are different and their draft abilities/philosophies are different. That being said, if I was playing GM, unless one of those three players fell to us I'd try like crazy to move back. There's not much drop off in talent picking late in the first round or 16. Obviously, for this to happen someone needs to fall that doesn't make sense for the Jets. Good examples might be Tannehill, Coples, Reiff etc.

I'd say there's almost a 50/50 shot for one of my top 3 prospects to be available when we're on the clock. But I believe our targets if we trade down in the first round should be: Upshaw, Perry, Hightower. If we could manage to pick up a 3rd round pick and select one of those three players, Tanny deserves a ton a credit.

In the second round, there's 10-15 names I wouldn't mind drafting, but a few names that pop out are:

Alshon Jeffrey - WR
    Ronnel Lewis - ILB
    Mykal Kendricks - ILB
    Harrison Smith - Safety
    Lamar Miller - RB

I know many Jets fans haven't been talking about inside backers, but any Jet fan that watched Bart Scott play last season knows his days are numbered. I know Kendricks is short, and Lewis has been a bit inconsistent, but I think they both have a lot of potential. Lamar Miller may seem to be a bit of a luxury pick, but if he's the BPA when we pick I hope we pull the trigger, this guys legit. Everyone knows Jeffrey is a baller, but his discipline has been in question so he could drop to our 2nd pick. Harrison Smith could be gone, but if not, he fills a HUGE need on our defense.

I know my outlook is a bit all over the place so let me simplify things. The Jets have some BIG holes (pass rushers, RT, safety) and grey areas in certain positions (WR, ILB, RB). I'm looking for our FO to go BPA in any of those positions for the first 2 rounds. For instance, in the second round if the best rated player on our board is a wideout- he needs to be selected, same goes for ILB or RB.

A combination of Melvin Ingram in the 1st, and an ILB in the second like Ronnell Lewis would instantly revamped our defense and give Rex the tools to get our defense back to the tops of the league. Unrelated to the draft, chalk me up for signing Braylon back since most likely Floyd nor Jeffrey will fall to either of our picks.

It's late and I'm just real excited to see what happens in the draft tomorrow! Enjoy everyone.

10. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

POE will be NYJ 1st round pick....we need that meat in the middle...trade Pouha..and whip that lazy bastard Ellis to be back up NT

11. Going4TheGreen

Do you not think Reiff could play RT, or do you believe the front office when they say they like the line as is?

12. facch

facch Active Member

I don't think he'd have a problem playing RT at all. I just believe we'll address OL in the later rounds with multiple picks rather than invest more money on our line to a top pick to play RT where a modest salaried player usually can get the job done.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Wow... Thats, uhh, bold to say the least.

Wow.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

No trades mock with Ingram there at 16. Not sure if all of these guys will be available where I pick them, but here goes nothing.

Rd 1 (16) - LB Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
    Jets get a LB who they can play anywhere and everywhere. Will be a lot of fun to see how the Jets use him and his pass rushing ability.

Rd 2 (47) - WR Alshon Jeffery South Carolina
    Another South Carolina guy, but we need a big receiver to complement Holmes and eventually be the #1 guy. He's big, athletic and could potentially be that guy.

Rd 3 (77) - OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH)
    Productive, versatile guard.

Rd 5 (154) - OLB/DE Jake Bequette, Arkansas
    Rd 6 (187) - WR Danny Coale, Virginia Tech
    Rd 6 (202) - RB Terrance Ganaway, Baylor
    Rd 6 (203) - ILB Emmanuel Acho, Texas
    Rd 7 (232) - CB Omar Bolden, Arizona State
    Rd 7 (242) - CB D'Anton Lynn, Penn State
    Rd 7 (244) - DL J.R. Sweezy, NC State - Just for the name

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I think its cheating to do trades in these things. :)

I like the mock aside from the lack of any safety signing (unles you see a CB transitioning)

16. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I am just against taking a OL in 1st rd. I have my heart set on a pass rusher. Worst case we take Floyd at 16 if Ingram and Upshaw are gone..or trade down and take a Shea McClellin.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is impossible because the Jets will trade up in the later rounds but here's my best shot:

1 (16) - David DeCastro, Stanford (G)
    2 (47) - Vinny Curry, Marshall (OLB)
    3 (77) - Markelle Martin, (S)
    5 (154) - Tommy Streeter, Miami (WR)
    6 (187) - Audie Cole, NC State (LB)
    6 (202) - Jeff Adams, Columbia (OT)
    6 (203) - Michael Smith, Utah State (RB)
    7 (232) - Cory Harkey, UCLA (TE)
    7 (242) - Shawn Powell, FSU, (P)
    7 (244) - Korey Toomer, Idaho (LB)

BTW, the argument for trading up in the later rounds is that there's very little talent there so why not take your best shot on a guy you really like. The flaw in the argument is that given the overall level of talent available what you really want is the most shots at finding somebody of talent there, not the best shot at an untalented pool. Trading up is like playing Bingo but choosing to ignore every other call. Good luck with that.

#37 Br4d, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  18. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

I'll give it a go. Because trades are so unpredictable, I won't use any, other than the proviso that we might move up a few spots to grab Sanu/Jeffrey in the 2nd round if need be.

Rd 1 (16) - Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB I think DE/OLB HAS to be the 1st choice unless Decastro falls to us, then it becomes a toss-up
    Rd 2 (47) - Mohammed Sanu, WR we might move up a couple of spots in the 2nd to make sure we get him
    Rd 3 (77) - Jared Crick, DE/OLB a steal at this point because he played injured last year and his numbers were down
    Rd 5 (154) - Janzen Jackson, S I think this far down we'll take a chance on a guy who has been arrested a few times. The power of Tebow can heal him.
    Rd 6 (187) - Levy Adcock, OL might also be able to play guard, but a good depth pick in the meantime. Not a good run-blocker, but we'll see if Sparano can work some magic with him
    Rd 6 (202) - Terence Ganaway, RB bruiser-type who isn't exceptionally fast, but perfect depth for ground and pound
    Rd 6 (203) - Jeff Fuller, WR good athlete, occasionally has the dropsies
    Rd 7 (232) - Danny Trevathan, LB my sleeper pick. He's a fantastic tackler, but probably too short to play every down. He doesn't cover very well, but could be in the Maybin small pass-rusher mode
    Rd 7 (242) - Jeff Adams, OL seems to be a favorite of nearly every mock I've seen
    Rd 7 (244) - Brad Smelley, TE/H-Back hard worker, though not the most athletic. He catches well, and could be a holder on FG/personal protector on punts

19. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Rd 1 Dont'a Hightower
    Rd 2 Vinny Curry
    Rd 3 Trumaine Johnson
    Rd 5 Greg Childs
    Rd 6 Phillip Thomas
    Rd 6 Chris Rainey
    Rd 6 Frank Alexander
    Rd 7 Joe Long
    Rd 7 James Hanna
    Rd 7 Davin Meggett

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Schwartz ended up going at 37 and Massie is still available in the 4th!

I would be happy to sacrifice a 3rd rounder next year to get back into the 4th round for him.

edit: I just checked - no-ones draft had any of the Jets picks in it!

#40 JetsUK, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012