Your ideal draft day one

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Apr 17, 2007.

1. 1. (Tradedown 2-3 spots) Justin Blalock

2A. Lamarr Woodley

2B. Damieon Hughes

3. Aundrae Allison

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

who's the guy you have in R3? Position, skillset, etc?

cheers

3. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Aundrae Allison
    Height: 6-01/8 | Weight: 192 | 40-Time: 4.39

Strengths:
    A smooth athlete...Ball skills, balance and body control are superb...Has excellent hands and makes both the routine and tough catches...Speed is good, albeit not great, but he plays faster than he times and has a burst...Very elusive and runs well after the catch...A deep threat who can stretch the field vertically...Will work across the middle and in traffic...Very productive...Has potential as a return man.

Weaknesses:
    Not a great route runner and needs to pay more attention to detail...Not much of a blocker and isn't very physical or aggressive...Takes plays off and work ethic is a question...He only has two years of DI experience...Has some durability concerns.

Notes:
    Prefers to go by "Drae"...Considered coming out after his junior season...A JUCO All-American at Georgia Military Academy who officially enrolled at East Carolina in Jan. of '05...Might not project to be a true #1 receiver at the pro level but can be an excellent #2 option...Doesn't get a lot of attention but he has quietly emerged as a top pro prospect and how high he goes may surprise most casual observers.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Career Statistics
    Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
    2003 JUCO - - - -
    2004 JUCO - - - -
    2005 11 83 1,024 12.3 7
    2006 11 62 708 11.4 4
    Totals 22 145 1,732 12.0 11

4. Quack

Quack New Member

I think he's a perfect nickel back right from the get-go with the capacity to be our 2nd CB or could very well be a great SS opposite Kerry Rhodes - The idea of having these two as our safety tandem is almost orgasmic. If you want to talk about a combination of "right now" ability and potential, then Weddle is your man.

utah DOT scout DOT com/2/609214.html (Can't post links yet :sad: ) - Not recent by any means but a good read on the guy. I especially like this little tidbit:

I just simply love the guy.

As a side note, as unlikely as it is (due to our needs and our pickup of Tui) I would never stop singing Tannenbaum's praises if we picked up Troy Smith at any point in the draft. He's the definition of a professional QB, and he's got legs, too. Not gonna happen though. Some lucky team will unwittingly pick him up as BPA and down the line their starter will go down and we will all say "Who's that?"

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a chance that Weddle makes it to #59. In fact, I think he could fall into the last 1st....

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

This was one of my Day One scenarios......I'd be thrilled. JFIPA...smart people think alike :) !!

My other Day One:

1) Justin Harrell DE (3-4) (trade back around 3 spots, get a 4th Rounder)
    2a) Ben Patrick TE
    2B) Quentin Moses OLB (3-4)
    3) Fred Bennett CB

4) Leroy Harris OG/C (From Trade)....can play Guard and Center..risng up the boards. Smart Player!!

#26 WW85, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Dam Straight! I could see NE taking Weddle at #28. BB is known for picking a player in late Rd 1 that is unexpected and usually does very well in the NE system.....Example..Mankins.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Exactly... 100% on! He's the Pats pick at #28 if they don't trade up.

Another surprise player for the Pats at #24 or #28, David Harris ILB Michigan.

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

IMO, David Harris is the best defensive player out of Michigan this year. I like him better than Branch, Hall & Woodley. I kept watching Michigan games to watch the "Big 3" and Harris was making all the plays.

10. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I like Weddle, but I don't think he's a first round player, mid 2nd is where I'd stake him. He's definitely not going to beat out any of the top 3 safeties, and there's probably 4 to 5 CBs that should go ahead of him as well. Then again, that's all just what I think, a team may very well reach down and grab him because he's certainly in the range where it wouldn't be that bad.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

1. Aaron Ross - CB - Texas - If Barrett is out of the picture, Miller is not the new starting answer at CB. We need a CB now that the Pats have loaded up on quality FA receivers.

2. Ben Grubbs - OG - Auburn - A slight downgrade from Blalock, but maybe this turns out to be better value at OG.

2. Zach Miller - TE - Arizona State - Baker is a nice player, but Miller could be a serious upgrade. He's a big guy with good blocking skills and soft hands over the middle. Reminds me of Todd Heap quite a bit.

3. Tim Shaw - OLB - Penn State - By round 3 you have to take a flyer on someone, and Tim Shaw would not be a bad choice here. He needs work in coverage, but would come to the Jets as a weak side pass rusher. He had 7 sacks in 2006. He has nice size at 6'1.5 235 pounds and runs a 4.49 40. On top of that he has all the intangibles we have come to associate with 'Mangini' guys (motor, leader, etc).

12. Big Cotch

Big Cotch Banned

I would prefer your backup plans in every pick you listed.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm guessing Weddle gets down past the 59. Sabby Piscitelli is the guy I think could move up near the end of the first round, although I still make him out to be a 40-45ish pick.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

No way....Weddle will go before Sabby....bank on it.

15. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

First off, I would like to preface my answer to the posted question with the following thought. Value should be one of the foremost factors in deciding which player to pick in any draft. My definition of ?value? doesn?t necessarily translate to Best Player Available (BPA) but rather BPA with the best across the board potential impact for the team. Picks that I propose should have more of a cascading effect in the overall improvement of the team rather than placing the best possible player at a certain position regardless of its impact on the other components of the team. Lastly, my picks incorporate, as much as possible, all of Team Tangini?s off-season moves in determining the overall composition of the 2007 NY Jets.

With that in mind, here goes my picks and the reasons why.

1. Justin Blalock (OG/OT)

Improving a young Offensive Line with a versatile, intelligent (top Wonderlic score in the Combine) road grader like Blalock can have more of a positive cascading effect than picking-up one of the top 4 cornerbacks with this pick. For starters, with a revamped running game after the acquisition of Thomas Jones, additional improvements along the OL will provide the Jets with a terrifyingly balanced offensive attack. Additionally, the pass protection and run blocking schemes will require less support from the TE position and free-up Chris Baker (an under-rated pass catcher despite of what the Greg Olsen boosters out there say) as another weapon for Pennington to have by letting him loose to run more short/intermediate routes and split the seam. Lastly, this adds another cornerstone to a young talented unit that will solidify the offensive line as a team strength for years to come considering O-Linemen have statistically longer careers than DB?s.

If the opportunity to move down and still get Blalock along with an additional pick presents itself, then the move becomes a no brainer.

2a. Eric Wright (CB)

Hall, Revis, Ross and Houston will not slide all the way down to this slot. But Wright, because of his off-the-field issues prior to his transfer to UNLV, just might. I think that this may be deemed as a worth while ?character issue? gamble for a couple of reasons. First, he has kept his nose clean since having the charges dropped by the Californian authorities and his subsequent transfer to UNLV. If he is indeed a loose cannon a la Pacman Jones, then his stay in a city like Las Vegas would have been more troublesome rather than how things have actually turned out. Second, his post-season interviews have yielded more insight into this young man?s personality and he seemed to have made good on his ?second? chance by not getting into any more trouble. Third, his former coach and teammates at USC have vouched for him even though he is no longer with the team. I think this means a lot to the Jets front offices who are conducting their background investigations. Lastly, from a talent/measurables/production standpoint, he should have been an automatic 1st Rounder if it weren?t for his off-field issue. So getting him at this point may represent one of the best values of this draft.

2b. Daymeion Hughes (CB)

Why another CB? Look at what NE has done this off-season and tell me that the Jets can?t use as much talent/depth at this position. Why not a Pass Rushing 3-4 DE/OLD Tweener or a massive NT you say? Certainly guys like Quentin Moses, Ikaika Alama-Francis, Anthony Spencer, LaMarr Woodley, Ray McDonald, et al, can have potentially tremendous impact on the defense. But consider the following: (1) the Jets D have another year of 3-4 under their belts so it would not be unreasonable to assume that the additional experience factor would, in and of itself, lead to improved play amongst critical players such as Vilma and Robertson; (2) The pick-up of Kenyon Coleman (6?5? 295+lbs.), an ideal 3-4 end as a replacement for Kimo von Oelhoffen represent a pretty significant upgrade at the starting RE position; (3) The addition of Bowens, Wadsworth and Haynes has already dramatically improved the overall depth of the DE/OLB positions. I have a gut feeling that there are more interesting plans for Wadsworth than the Jets coaching staff are letting on and if his work-out showed anything remotely close to the player he was when he was drafted, all I can say is watch out. But even if the former 3rd pick doesn?t pan-out, Bowens certainly brings more to the table than the reserves of 2006 brought last year; and (4) My dark horse Sione Pouha (6?3? 325lbs.), injured all of last year, may very have a pretty significant impact rotating with an improved Robertson in the middle of the defensive line. There?s got to be a reason he was drafted last year even though he was pretty ripe at 26 yrs. old.

Because of the type of players the Jets already have in their roster and the off-season moves that they have made thus far, I think that adding an over-achieving and heady player who had a very productive college career would bring about a more substantial improvement to a perceived weakness in 2006. This pick is all about production over potential. Hughes reminds me of Everson Walls, the great Cowboys and Giants cornerback of the 1980?s. Walls was considered too slow for the position but he just had an unexplainable knack for making plays despite of his perceived physical shortcomings. Hughes would be the ideal nickel back picking up the slot receiver.

The net effect of this pick will be the decrease in the Jet?s reliance on Miller (until such time that his cornerback play catches up to his physical gifts) and Barrett (injury prone and pretty high cap numbers). The latter already being discussed as potential trade bait. Keep Miller buried in the CD depth chart while he remains the primary KO Return man on special teams.

3. Zak DeOssie (LB)

Good pedigree. Grew up understanding what is to be expected playing for a team coached by a member of the Parcells/Belichick Coaching Tree. Intelligent (an Ivy Leaguer) and can easily and quickly adapt to the system. A pretty good athlete with 4.5 Forty speed and possesses good size (250lbs), DeOssie fits the description of a prototype 3-4 OLB. Adds versatility with his ability to long-snap. Under-rated due to the level of competition in college, DeOssie may very well turn out to be one of this drafts best bargains. His contributions may not be limited to adding more talent and depth to the LB corp but may also be felt deeply in the special teams.

With Barton potential a draft-day trade away from being an ex-Jet and the overall lack of team speed in the linebacking corp, this move represents not only an upgrade but also injects more youth and flexibility into the position with a player that possesses all the traits sought after by Team Tangini. With his speed/size combination, DeOssie has the potential to be an Urlacher-type linebacker in the zone coverage packages or a pass rushing OLB in the same mold as all the other Parcells/Belichick OLB?s of the past.

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

25- Aaron Ross CB
    59- Ben Patrick TE
    63- Lamarr Woodley OLB
    89- Manuel Ramirez OG

17. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

1. Blalock
    2a. Brian Leonard
    2b. Ikaika Alama Francis
    3. Brian Robison, Abiamari, or Moses

the Leonard pick is personal pick(i'd like to spend next couple years rooting for him) and i didnt pick a CB(day 1) because i figured with a better front 7 and pass rush, we can get away with what what we got in the secondary

18. joegee

joegee Member

#38 joegee, Apr 19, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Since some guys slide every year, here is a draft that is somewhat optomistic (you did say ideal day one:

1. Leon Hall CB Michigan - With guys like Chris Houston climbing the draft boards and teams reaching for needs, could Hall be the forgotten man that slips to us? Maybe we even make a deal to move up a couple spots here.

2a. Eric Weddle S Utah - Not sure he slips this far but Weddle is the real deal. There are better safeties in this draft but they will be gone in the top 40 picks.

2b. Victor Abiarmi DE / LB Notre Dame - This guy made Winston Justice look foolish last season but just doesn't seem to get any respect in mock drafts. Real solid player that can contribute right away.

3. Ryan McBean DT / DE Oklahoma State - Probably wouldn't start right away but is an amazing athelete and has huge upside as a 3-4 DE.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's the thing: the Jets badly need to get bigger before they're going to compete with the Patriots seriously. They got pushed around two of the three games last season and the reason was size, on the offensive line, in the linebackers and on the defensive front.

They really need to use the first day to get bigger if the value is there on those picks.

The Pats added a monster at OLB in Adalius Thomas. Things are not gonna be better for the Jets next season unless they find a big offensive lineman and a couple of guys in the defensive front 7.