Your ideal draft day one

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Apr 17, 2007.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Everyone's got an opinion and I'm sure it's going to vary but figured this would be a good way to keep everyone's picks in one place. Obviously I'd love Calvin Johnson in the 1st and Joe Thomas in the 2nd but I'm talking realistically here. Here's mine:

1) Chris Houston, CB Arkansas
    2) Josh Beekman, OG Boston College
    2) Ben Patrick, TE Delaware
    3) Brian Robison, OLB Texas

2. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Justin Blalock, Ikaika Alama-Francis, Lamarr Woodley, AJ Davis

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

1). Justin Blalock G/T
    2a). Josh Wilson CB
    2b). Brian Robinson OLB/DE
    3a). Mike Walker WR/Courtney Taylor WR

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

See the sig/PA

I'd also take Ikaika Alama-Francis at 2b because Tangini was trying him out at OLB when they met and I love his athleticism.

5. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

1) Anthony Spencer, OLD/DE Purdue
    2) Josh Wilson, CB Maryland
    2) Josh Beekman, OG Boston College
    3) Paul Soliai, DT Utah

6. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Round 1
    1)Chris Houston CB
    Round 2
    1)Marshal Yanda OG
    2)Stewart Bradley OLB
    Round 3
    1)Paul Soliai DT

7. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I'll take that one, maybe swap a DE for Soliai, like Ray McDonald, but sign me up either way.

8. Prince of Thieves

Prince of Thieves New Member

Hi. I'm new to the board and figured this would be a good place to put in my first two cents on the Draft.

I think that the selections made by Scikotics in the mock draft on the board and the ones posted by you guys so far would be more than solid so I'm not trying to knock those, but I think that we should draft football players rather than physically gifted projects. Blalock so far fits that mold more than anyone, and I'd be really happy if we took him, but he'd be my second choice with the first pick. Alama-Francis is very talented, but he's also raw and does not have a great deal of football experience. By taking that chance in the second round, IMHO you're taking a little too big of a risk. Robison, though, is the type of guy I'd be looking to snatch up in the third round. Thing is, though, I'm not taking him here because my first ideal is an OLB and that's presumably what Robison would be in the NFL.

This ideal day one rundown certainly goes against convention, but I'd envision it like this (in order of selection):

Paul Posluszny: Naturally there's a small chance he's even there, but some mock drafts (including the one on this board) have him falling lower than us. I don't think we should pass on him given the opportunity. When watching him play at Penn State, I didn't figure we'd have a shot at him when Draft Day came around, but I'd pick him up if he dropped. Hard hitter, intelligent playmaker, great intangibles. Personally, I think he'd be perfect. If he's not there, though, I definitely go with Blalock.

Brian Leonard: Of course, it's Christmas if he falls this far (though not completely out of the question), but he seems to be the next Mike Alstott, went to school locally, and the scouting report portrays him as a total Mangini/Belichick guy. He will definitely augment and extend Thomas Jones's career blocking in front of him and would probably develop into one of Chad's favorite targets. If Leonard is already off the board, I go with the underrated corner out of Syracuse, Tanard Jackson.

Eric Weddle: True to my word, if Weddle is available, I swipe him because he's a seasoned football player. Convert him to DB and he's got adequate size and speed; more importantly, though, he brings great ball skills, a high intelligence level and better character/leadership. If Weddle is gone, I take LaMarr Woodley.

Buster Davis: After watching him at FSU, it's hard to believe that the size knock is throwing him all the way into the late part of day one. ILB is not necessarily a big need for us, but I think that Davis will develop into a smash-mouth football player who will easily step in and replace Eric Barton and anchor the second level of defense next to Vilma. He strikes me as a player rather than a combine child, and I think that he will be very productive in the League. Should Davis be taken earlier, I'd go with Manuel Ramirez, the massive offensive guard.

9. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I agree with GH on this one. CMartinJet well done. :up:

10. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

I appreciate it guys I'm always up to talk draft and have been following it for a while now. Feel free to pm me with questions or anything else. Later

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

1. Anthony Spencer (OLB) - we get Thomas and Spencer as bookends outside and can figure out Hobson/Barton down the road.

2a. James Marten (RT) - big tackle with good driveblocking skills to bookend with D'Brick for 5 years.

2b. trade down to 75 or so and grab Turk McBride or Ryan McBean, one of them will be there and both look like good 3-4 prospects. McBride at DE and McBean is one of the few real NT prospects in the draft.

3. Tank Tyler (DT). The 3-4 problem is over with the drafts of Spencer, McBride or McBean and Tyler. Throw them in with D-Rob, Ellis and Coleman and the Jets will figure out a really solid rotation for next season.

12. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

1. Blalock

2a. Josh Wilson

2b. Victor Abiamiri/LaMarr Woodley/Ikaika Alama-Francis

3. Josh Beekman/Marshal Yanda/Manuel Ramirez

#12 German Jets Fan, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  13. Phlyphrytz

Phlyphrytz New Member

1. Ben Grubbs OG
    2a. Ben Patrick TE
    2b. Turk McBride DT
    3. Daymieon Hughes CB

14. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

1. Justin Blalock
    2a. Tenard Jackson/Josh Wilson
    2b. Sidney Rice (hopefully) or Justin Hill
    3. Paul Soliai

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

1)Blalock or Bowe
    2)Francis
    2)Ramirez or Buster Davis
    3)Josh Wilson

thats not in stone theres other players id be happy with but this is off the top of the head

#15 Coach K, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

1)Blalock
    2a)Mike Walker
    2b)LaMarr Woodley/Daymieon Hughes
    3)BPA

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I can't remember ever being this torn as to what we should in the first rounds. Blalock, Ross, Revis, Olsen.... I have no idea

18. Quack

Quack New Member

1.25: Ben Grubbs, G Auburn
    2.59: Brian Robison, DE/OLB Texas
    2.63: Eric Weddle, CB/S Utah
    3.89: Mike Walker, WR Central Florida

Day two I'd want a TE prospect, I'm thinking Jonny Harline if we can get him with 5.164.

19. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

same here.

but i actually think this a good thing, because no matter what, we'll most likely improve in any one of the "problem" areas.

it's not good to have to address many needs, but having this kind of flexibility is a sign of a well run team.

cheers

20. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Weddle is an interesting prospect:

Coleman's play has really plataued since his rookie year and he can be upgraded in time.

Smith looks like a good "Mangini" (i know, i know) player who provides solid depth and understands the D.

Washington hasn't amounted to much and, while a good Special Teamer, he can certainly be upgraded; not to mention, is this the last year of his contract?

therefore, a guy with Weddle's skills may be valuable to our D, and if he can be had with that last R2 pick (or even better R3 pick), it's not as much of a stretch or luxury pick as it appears on the surface.

cheers