Your excitement level for 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 21, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just want to point out that Brooklyn was a very different part of NYC than Manhattan for a long time. If you went down to Flatbush you'd have found zero Yankees fans during the 50's.

Brook! likes this.
  2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

well-said @Ralebird Not having been alive at that time, I didn't know that, but it definitely makes sense since, as you noted, the Giants and Yankees were definitely the "traditional/establishment" teams vis a vis the expansion Mets and the AFL Jets.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Cheers for that :)

I really can't get into the other games tbh I watch occasional highlights that appear on the bbc website, brilliant basketball dunks or the odd homerun or flying catch but couldn't sit through a full game.

I did try with baseball when it was shown on Channel 5 over here but I was asleep by the 5th innings :D:D

Brook! and patleahy like this.
  4. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Our men seem motivated and our team has more talent than it has in the past four years. I'm excited. Even if we wind up being 6-11 as long as we play every game hard. I do hope we are slightly above .500 and i will be saddened by another losing season. That said i will be patient this head coach and this gm seem like the real deal.

PJ4Ever, Brook!, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I used to be a Mets fan, but I don't follow baseball at all anymore or any other sports. I only follow the Jets.

patleahy likes this.
  6. patleahy

@dmw same thing has happened to me, dmw. I used to be a big basketball fan (NBA and college) and baseball fan....now I couldn't care less about any of those sports. Just follow the NFL and my team...and keep an eye on college football. Couldn't care less about any other sports.

dmw likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Well here is part of an ESPN+ article that is definitely pessimistic. The author feels we will finish with the worst record in the NFL.

Here are our projections for the top 10 picks of the 2022 NFL draft:

1. New York Jets

The Jets have our worst overall projection, in particular our worst offensive projection. Obviously, Zach Wilson brings hope to Jets fans that the offense will finally turn things around. However, top-drafted rookie quarterbacks often take time to develop or -- as in the case of Sam Darnold, Wilson's predecessor -- they don't develop at all. Since 2013, quarterbacks taken in the top half of the first round who played as rookies found their teams averaging 25th in offensive DVOA.

But the quarterback is just part of the projection for the Jets. We also look at their performance over the past three years and that has been dismal, ranking in the bottom four for three straight years. It's not just the passing game, as the Jets' running game also ranked in the bottom six for three straight years. The Jets have added some offensive talent, in particular wide receiver Corey Davis, but the boost in our projection system from those new players is not enough to counterbalance the value of a rookie quarterback and the Jets' poor recent performance overall.

The Jets' defense projects better than the offense but our system sees less upside than other defenses with similar recent track records. Yes, Robert Saleh is bringing a strong scheme with him that performed well in San Francisco. But defenses in new schemes, all else being equal, tend to play a little bit worse than average. And there are still a lot of questions about the secondary, in particular where the starting cornerbacks are both young, lower-round picks (Bryce Hall and Bless Austin).

Best-case scenario: Wilson plays well right out of the gate, finally turning around the long-struggling offense. Saleh's defensive scheme clicks immediately and covers up for the questions in the secondary. Free-agent addition Carl Lawson plays up to his huge contract as one of the league's top edge rushers. The best-case scenario also would require a lot of injuries in Buffalo; otherwise, this dream still ends with the Jets getting just a wild card.

8. K'OB

Commiserations mate :D

9. patleahy

the only two teams K'OB follows are the Jets and Arsenal!!! :mad:

10. K'OB

Does their system not have a GASE has been sacked algorithm?

Tossers

PJ4Ever and bicketybam like this.
  11. K'OB

You'll get your fucking arsed kicked with that kind of talk :mad:

Arsenal, fucking Arsenal, I'm a northern monkey, not a soft southern puff.

Footballgod214 and patleahy like this.
  12. patleahy

LOL well-played, K'OB....well-played. ;););)

K'OB likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I saw that a day or two ago. If the folks at ESPN truly think the Jets will be the #1 pick next year, I think they need to find a new profession, because they don't crap about football.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I love March Madness but couldn't give a rats ass about the NBA. I love the Metropolitans (We had the Mets b-league right here in Binghamton, watched Tebow smack his 'first ever pitch' over the center field wall). Strawberry with his 'golf swing' for 500 feet homers is burned into my brain. All the 'Ks' hung up on the outfield wall when Gooden was pitching (when he wasn't passed out in a crack den). Good old days!

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

A small petty part of me subconsciously wants Sam Darnold to blow the Jets the fuck out the first game of the season. I'm a fan of laundry first and foremost, but I won't cry too hard if it happens. It's the NFC, so it gives my subconscious mind a little bit more leeway . . . but GO JETS!, of course and always.

I guess what I'm really getting at is that I am shockingly ambivalent about Zach Wilson. I have close to zero emotional response, I can't explain it. I don't know, stick my dog in there, if he throws a gazillion touchdowns I'll be thrilled kind of thing. I feel flavorless about the most important position in football, and I'm not completely sure why that is. Go Zach, whatever.

What I am excited about is what the players around Zach Wilson do. This is where Robert Saleh comes in. I'm down.

Brook!, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  16. bicketybam

And Sam used to get you excited??

Well now that I think about it, he used to get me to the point where I would want to throw the remote through the TV, so I guess that's excited.

PJ4Ever, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

For me its Jets, Isles, Yankees. Don't care for basketball at all.

K'OB likes this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Nah, it's just that we were in the same fucking Ford Pinto 3 years ago.

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Fairly excited. My expectations are pretty low, so hopefully they can be exceeded.

It'll be nice to watch sports with packed arenas again.

stinkyB likes this.
  20. bicketybam

Here's to hoping we don't get rear ended.[​IMG]

NCJetsfan likes this.