Your Bold Prediction for Gase-Douglas era

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm a believer in not drafting OGs too high, but as long as Douglas fixes the OL and keeps the team salary structure in line and the Jets under the cap without having to cut players or kick the cans down the road for older players, I won't complain. Besides, unless Edoga proves to be a revelation, I expect the pick in round one to either be a LT and #1 WR, or at worst a RT. Still, if due to where the Jets are picking, the best, most sensible pick is an OG, I'll be for it.

Jets81 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

I'm not so sure about this. With a good to great OL, Bell, and our CS, I think we could even do that (carry Sam to an AFC Championship Game). I don't think that will be necessary, however.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Huh?

4. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Douglas could be the one to take this franchise to the next level ... and i hope Gase is that QB Whisper..... we could see some early Success ....I’m worried about the secondary....and offensive line May have to use a lot of zone blitzing to disguise that weakness with our DBs .... I think Sam D could have a very good year depending on how the O-line helps him .....maybe 8 or 9 wins.... who knows we could shock some teams early...... very excited about Douglas running this team I am optimistic

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

At a bare minimum, assuming that neither Gase nor Williams goes anywhere over the next 3-5 years, I think the Jets will become a very competitive playoff team every year. I think the Jets will play smart, aggressive, disciplined, hard-nosed football, and no team will look forward to playing the Jets. I believe that we will see a lot of sacks of opposing QBs and our D will create a lot of TOs and 3 and outs. I believe our offense will become among the top 5-10 offenses in the NFL and our D will become one of the top 5 Ds in the NFL. I believe the Jets will finally shed their loser, dysfunctional organization image, and become respected around the NFL and among football fans. With some very good drafting and a little luck, I think it's very possible that the Jets could win at least one SB if not several over the next 5-10 years.

I think the Jets' future will make all the suffering we long-time Jets fans have had to endure a distant memory, if not worthwhile.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry to say if what the NYJ beat writers have been writing on Twitter about Sam stinking up the field & then making excuses for it is true then it sounds like another Blair Thomas situation to me which does not bode well for us going forward:mad:

7. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Your lips to God ears!!!

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa

YES SIR, MR. GASE!!!!!!!

Will be heard in Florham Park in the coming years.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I am a believer in drafting players not positions. It’s the best way to avoid busts.

Edit/ quoted the wrong post

#29 FJF, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    jetstopgun likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Our OL is bad now, so there's a lot of work to do there. As a RB, Bell doesn't mean much. At this point in Bell's career, Saquon Barkley is better, and he can't save the Giants. And most importantly, we got Sanchez into the AFC Championship Game because we had a loaded roster and a defensive scheme the league hadn't adapted to, which gave us the best defense in football. That isn't happening here, and as for our offense, Gase has already shown he can't make a bad QB good.

AJW and Red Menace like this.
  11. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong in change, If it is in the right direction.

To improve is to change, so to be perfect is to have changed often...

Winston Churchill

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets will win more then they lose over the next 3-5 years. Super Bowl comes in Darnold year 5 when we have a good core of vets mixed in with young guns from the draft. We’ll need to be patient while the team is being built up. Winning buys time, but also builds up expectations.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I see the Jets in the playoffs this year, or just barely missing out. Next year they win the division and get to the AFCCG with a good chance to get to the SB. Year 3 SB for sure. (This all assumes no major injuries, especially to Darnold).

I honestly cannot recall when we had a quality HC and GM working together since the Namath Era. This has all the makings of FINALLY constructing a team with a clear identity around which players (and coaches) can be acquired. I can only hope that it works out this way.

14. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

We will not get a top 15 draft pick.
    Roby Anderson makes Pro Bowl.
    L. William's has 10 sack season
    Jets make playoffs this year.
    Superbowl following year.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I will ridicule posters for being stupid and annoying

FJF and abyzmul like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I agree that our OL needs a LOT of work. I think Osemele is a keeper as a starter, and Shell as a backup RT. The rest need to be replaced.

I also agree that Barkley is better than Bell, and can't save the Giants. Gurley probably is too if he can stay healthy. Bell should help Sam, especially with an upgraded OL. Our D is pretty solid already. If Polite and Q. Williams provide the pass rush many think they will, and we can upgrade the CB position, our D will be pretty much set for a number of years. The main problem on offense is the OL. Fix that, and I believe that even if Sam doesn't develop into a stud, the rest of our team will be good enough to get to an AFC Championship game, so we will have to agree to disagree.

I disagree that Gase has already shown that he can't make a bad QB good. One or two QBs aren't enough of a sample set, and besides, Tannehill played a lot better under Gase.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

17. HomeoftheJets

Osemele is 29 years old and coming off a major injury. Odds are he'll also have to be replaced in the next couple years.

Bell will help, but I don't think he's worth more than one extra win over an average RB. Once we upgrade CB, our defense will be good if not very good, but it won't be the game-changing force it was during the early Rex years. Gregg Williams has been producing league-average defenses for the past decade, he doesn't have any revolutionary schemes. So I think this team can make the playoffs even if Sam is average, but it can't really contend if that's the case.

As for Gase, he worked with Tannehill, Cutler, and Osweiler, and all three of them played at their usual level under him. It isn't true that Gase made Tannehill better. He got Tannehill's passer rating up, but that was by having him check down to the point of absurdity.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know how old Osemele is. He could be replaced, but if he stays healthy and plays at anywhere near his previous level. He could be here another 5-6 years.

A DC doesn't have to have a "revolutionary" scheme in order to succeed. If he gets the right personnel and has good schemes that he adapts to the strengths of his players his D can be a topflight D and more than good enough.

Again, we'll just have to agree to disagree to some extent. I think he helped those 3 as much as anyone could. Some players just aren't that good. Have you ever heard the old maxims that "One can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" or that "One can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit?" Osweiler sucks. Cutler was stupid and selfish. Tannehill pretty much sucks.

IMO it doesn't matter that he had him check down a lot. It helped keep the Dolphins in some games, and helped them win some games that they probably shouldn't have. If his passer rating was higher, he was helping the team, and that's the ultimate goal. Don't forget that there wasn't a lot of talent on that Dolphin team, and few QBs can make a bad team into a good one. Cutler had the best year of his career when Gase was his OC with the Bears.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Bold Prediction: The Jets will do the same thing that they've done for the past several decades. Within the next 4-5 years, the Jets will have a new coach and GM.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

For comparison, Brick and Nick played their last games at 32. It's very unlikely that Osemele is playing 5-6 years from now.

Can our defense be good enough to win a Super Bowl with an elite QB? Yes. Can it be good enough to carry a mediocre QB to a playoff birth? Also yes. Can it be good enough to carry a bad QB to an AFC Championship Game like Rex's early defenses were? No.

Finally, I agree that few coaches could have done better than Gase with those QBs. (Though I think McVay could have.) But what Gase did wasn't nearly AFC Championship Game level. Which is my point. If we're going to be real contenders, not just a fringe wild card team, Darnold has to be really good. As for Tannehill's passer rating, it was high but it was not helping the team. There were a lot of 5 yard completions on 3rd and 10 and that sort of thing. It primarily showed that passer rating is a flawed statistic.