Your best and worst candidates for our first round pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 20, 2015.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That would be clumsy. I already struggle with my own two feet.

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Best: Trade back, OLB, Winston/Mariota
    Worst: Trading up for anyone

JetsfanHBca likes this.
  3. JACKSONVILLE JET

Pissed: Randy Gregory
    Happy: Mariota/Cooper/White

4. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

At the 6th pick and assuming Williams and Winston are gone

Best: Fowler
    Good: Beasley, Cooper, Mariota
    Worst: Scherff, White, Ray

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Best- Mariota, Cooper, White, Fowler in that order.

Worst- anyone else

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think there is a common misconception about how critical a team's offensive philosophy is. With Rex's constant boasting about how the Jets were going to be a "ground and pound" offensive team, all he did was make the job of opposing D coordinators easy. Any D coordinator with an 80 IQ could game plan for the Jets: "stop the run, and make Geno beat you with his arm." And we saw last year that was pretty much the story of the season in a nutshell, as Geno was not up to the task of beating most teams with his arm. Therefore, if the Jets are going to contend this season, the improvement has to come from the QB position. Any team that opposes the Jets, and tries to stop the running game, has to pay the price through gains in the passing game. Bottom line: a good team has to be able to take advantage of what the defense is giving them, whether it's run or pass.

#66 westiedog1, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Best: Mariota or Cooper
    Worst: Ray (or really any of the OLB prospects other than, maybe Beasley)

that was nothing to do with Rex's philosophy and everything to do with trying to compensate for what we had at QB during his time here - you think if we had had a top 10 QB on the roster that he would have been calling for more running plays?

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I do. Definitely! Rex's philosophy was for the D to win the game. He didn't like being aggressive on offense or taking risks. I think he would have hamstrung any QB we had from Manning to Brees to Rodgers to Brady. I think Rex is that effing stupid and narrow minded. He's like his old man...he hates the offense, and in spite of having to try to stop opposing offenses, knows little about offense.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I believe the choices were largely driven by the players available but its just IMO (and as he has gone to another team without a QB we wont know one way or another for a while yet - that's assuming Buffalo doesn't kill his career as a HC). It will be interesting to see the mix this year.

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

He had Michael Vick, a QB with a proven track record for making plays with his arm and feet. Yet, Rex chose to go with Geno, a guy who didn't exactly establish himself as a solid passing threat the year before. I'll never understand why they went out and got an offensive threat QB like Vick and then sat him on the bench all year. That decision probably cost Rex his job.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Best - Cooper/Gregory
    Good - Fowler/Winston
    Bad - Beasely/Ray/Williams/Mariota

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

when Geno played well (and he is capable of playing well) then he was pretty good and a better option than Vick - trouble is we saw too much of the other side of Geno. Vick was only ever a stop gap we needed to see what Geno is capable of to know how much of a priority QB was going to be this year - remember at the end of his rookie year Geno was playing well and people felt pretty positive about him going into last season.

the point I was disagreeing with was the idea that even if the Jets had Aaron Rodgers under centre then they would still be a run first team because Rex has this ground and pound philosophy and nothing would ever shake him from it.