Your 2018 1st Round Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 18, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, as several people have said, Mac went to Mayfield and Rosen's pro days then INSTANTLY traded up. One could assume he expects Darnold to go #1 to the Browns and he will be happy with Rosen or Mayfield. If the timing is a smokescreen to draft Allen, I would be surprised.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s not just me. Mel Kiper has him at #1 and Mayock has him at #2.

For me most of all in regards to Allen is that he passes the eye test. He looks like a NFL quarterback. Same like Marino did in his final year at Pitt BUT everyone bashed him because his stats were terrible his final year at Pitt and got labeled a party animal. He still looked the part because of his size and arm talent. We passed on him and it haunted us for 15 years.

BomberJet likes this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Marino was great as a freshman at Pitt. the Jets blew it big time passing on him for that human stiff O'Brien. Kiper and Mayock get it wrong all the time. There is a reason they are in the studio and not in some team player personnel department. Hackenberg passed the eye test too. Just saying. Brady didn't and that is why he went in the 6th round.

Harpua and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s not the true timeline though. Trade talks started Monday when they were finding out they weren’t getting cousins. The fact that rosen and mayfield had their pro days immediately after was coincidental. This trade would have went thru even if there had been no pro days scheduled last week

jetfan59, NY Jets68 and Walt White like this.
  5. FJF

So you said not one pundit has Allen first and when he gives you examples you say they don’t count?
    No dog in the fight but that’s a pretty weak retort

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I could also make a case that Mac went to Mayfields pro day and didn’t like what he saw/heard and felt the need to get up for one of the other 3. We’ll probably never know.

Hopefully Mac ends up with Darnold/Rosen and the majority is happy. At least until their first INT.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Didn't know that. Do you think it could've pushed him ahead with the trade. I think it definitely verified Rosen. Not sure about Mayfield tho. At that point he may very well have been leaning towards specific guys anyway. He'll be at the others guys Pro Days for sure, due diligence.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Yup, wouldn't rule out Darnold either.

Walt White likes this.
  9. Walt White

I like Darnold. Seems tough to me

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

To me, he needs to sit for at least half a season and work on his mechanics and reducing turnovers. The upside is worth it if he's available at 3 IMO.

11. The Dark Knight

Probably true, as they have been studying these guys for a long time, but I think it is fair to think the pro days solidified Mac's thoughts.

Maybe, but I think if they had bad Pro Days you surely would not feel the need to trade up to #3. More likely he liked what he saw.

12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well... I wouldn't have made that trade myself. I would have kept the picks and let it play out.

I think your right that the move up was for a QB but still.... if for some reason Darnold and Rosen are gone 1/2 and you have the third pick that's the reality now. Whatever you spent getting here is no longer relevant and you have to make the best move possible. I'm not sure Chubb wouldn't be a better move than Allen or Mayfield. And I'm not sure Bridgewater wouldn't be a comparable quality QB from this point forward.

I don't know.... high stakes poker now man. A bad pick here is now like picking Hackenberg 5 years in a row. And that's kind of a scary thought to me.

13. boozer32

Their opinion is no better than anyone else on this board. Like I said if they were nailing it they would have better jobs. Kiper has gone down so much he's not even publishing his draft yearbook anymore. I bought them every year too. Use to pick one of the olders one and just see how accurate he was in his judgement. He was nowhere close in all of them. Now the late great Joel Buschbaum that guy was pretty good.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Disagree with this completely. If one guy is eliminated it makes trading up to 3 that much more important.

15. boozer32

That's not what the pundits say. The Jets made strong push for Cousins. His agent said it was better than Minnesota. But the Jets roster sucks and he went to Mnny for lesser money. Then Macc panicked and made the deal with Indy. I think Indy could have held out for a better deal on draft day. Especially after the first pick was in the books. I know it would have been almost impossible but the Giants would have been the ideal trade partner. They are the key to this whole thing. If they take Barkley Macc can take a day and half off and come back in the 3rd round.

16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

If Mac picks Allen , I will support him !00%. What I took out of the Senior Bowl was something that really opened my eyes. Allen did everything anyone could ask from a QB to show the many ways he can place a ball anywhere on the field.

Showing his arm strength, showing finesse in just floating a pass for TD , showing he can run out of the pocket and make accurate throws. He's shown he can make adjustments and a keen sense of what he had to do to go to the next level.

I don't know why he can't excel given the right circumstances - and I do feel he would be perfect for Bates to groom.

Even thought I was hoping that Mac would not take him at 3, I would not be bothered by it. He's shown what he can do and that he appears to be a quick learner.

The one thing also that I like about Allen is that he looks like he can take a beating with the size he has. That's a plus when you are taking snaps behind a so-so OL like the Jets.

#36 BomberJet, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Don't agree at all about that one. What eye test, lol? Everyone , including all the experts, and his grandmother thought that Hack would have to sit out at least 2 years when Mac made that pick. The problem with Mac taking him in the 2nd round was the real issue - he over reached thinking he was getting lightning in a bottle. More like exploding in his face.

18. FJF

Indys gm said talks started Monday .

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

Yeah, you could be right. Looking at it like "I like Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield" makes sense though. If the thought is "I like "Darnold, Allen, Rosen, and NOT Mayfield" trading up to #3 makes sense too for sure.

20. Walt White

Yep. See it the same way. It's part of taking him imo.