young or leinart

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by krd145, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

OMG I CANT BELIEVE THAT THERS EVEN ANY DISCUSSION ON THIS. For one, im not 100% sure that we should draft a qb if we can get d'brick. Also Leinart is by far a better choice. Young runs a predictable shotgun pop and run offence. He'll get hammered in the NFL. He wont be able to cope with the increase in speed and the higher pressure levels. He'll be a Vick gone wrong and hes not as fast as vick anyway. Leinart has the experience and plays like a real pro qb

2. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

I actually like Vince Young better than any other qb in the draft. I was undecided until the Rose Bowl game. He made USC look pretty silly. Everyone knew he was going to run, and they still couldn't stop him. Pretty amazing IMO

3. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

I'm not sold on Leinart, I think he is just the product of the system Pete ran at USC, plus look at this supporting cast, jesus. With tools like that heck most average QB's would look great. Vince Young just has god-given talent, you cannot coach talent either you have it or you don't. I think with proper grooming Vince can be an outstanding NFL QB, a Vick that can throw. Worst case, just run Vince :wink:

Unless some magical offer comes out way draft day, take Vince, let him sit behind Chad for one or two years and then step in. Or if Chad struggles, throw Young into the fire see what he can do. *Potential* franchise QB's don't come around every day.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Chad had Randy Moss in college...he turned out ok even thoug injuries have gotten the best of him...

5. njjet

njjet Member

Why should we pay big bucks for an unproven player?

Trade down and fill more needs. This philosophy saves money on the cap plus we have a better chance of obtaining good players during the year as they become available. We just might get lucky and pick the next Brady in the lower rounds. Our scouting department must do their homework too take advantage of this viewpoint. We just might be able to get some good players and still preserve the cap!!!!

6. DallasJet

DallasJet New Member

I would go for Young. He is a winner. He is confident. When he takes the field, the players can feel his presence and they rise up and play well. He is a leader and that goes a long, long way.

7. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Please tell me who in the draft is proven? It's a crapshoot, that's why it is called a draft lottery.

8. njjet

njjet Member

That's my point! It is a crapshoot! So why pay exorbitant amounts of money on unproven players. There are good player lower in the draft that can help make you a contender and at the same time save cap room. Use the saved money for free agency. Get quality players who are proven products. Naturally that depends on the scouting department doing there homework!.

9. Russ Reign

Russ Reign New Member

I'd def rather Young at 4 if we can get him there than trading up to 2 for Leinart... I think VY will be the better pro QB and has far more upside... Also, when it's 4th and inched on the 37... VY will get you a foot, no doubt about that...

10. Russ Reign

Russ Reign New Member

It's not called a draft "lottery" in the NFL... it's called that in the NBA due to the actual "lottery" style of determining picks with ping pong balls...

11. krd145

krd145 New Member

lets get real. leinert had so many threats on his offense that defenses couldnt focus on just him. on the other hand, texas had no reggie bush, no lendale white, no dwayne jarret, no amazing o-line, and had no steve smith. When teams played texas, they focused on stopping Young, and guess what? THEY COULDNT! And yess the rose bowl victory is hyped but im tellin you this, Leinert is a great qb who had the best running back and o-line in all of college football. Young on the other hand didnt have those guys. But out on that field, in that rose bowl, arguably the second biggest football game of the year to the super bowl, more pressure was on vince then on leinert and his SUPPORTING CAST. and vince threw his team on his back and had the biggest game of his career in the biggest showcase possible after being criticized as overrated. he got called out and came threw with a knockout punch. The pressure that was on vince that night might not even be up to the kind of pressure NY puts on qb's. We all know vince can handle it on his own. but can leinert do it without some of the best players in the league around him like in college?

12. krd145

krd145 New Member

vince-sanity!

13. Russ Reign

Russ Reign New Member

Exactly... And to all the people that say he's a Vick type QB... they are SO WRONG... Vince is actually closer to being a bigger, faster version of Steve Young...

The fact that he has a strange throwing motion DOES NOT mean he has a weak arm... and sure, throwing a bit sidearm can be a major disadvantage if you are 5'11", but Vince is practically 6'6"...

14. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i would rather pick leinart if i had the choice just because he is the safest bet at qb in the draft.

but i do not agree with people that say young is going to be a bust. so he has a slightly sidearm realease who cares? he's so tall that it wont make much of a diffrence when vince throws it sidearm the ball is probably higher than when i guy like drew brees throws overhand. also young is a proven leader and can win games by himself.

with that being said leinart is easily the safer choice, and if his arm was a bit stronger he would be the deffinition of prototype at qb, but i dont believe throwing the ball 65 yards or 55 yards makes that much of a diffrence so i dont hold arm strength against him.

15. Russ Reign

Russ Reign New Member

I think arm strength isn't as big a deal related to deep balls as it is to slant and out patterns - the throws that Chad simply cannot make... being able to ZIP those balls in there opens up a whole different chapter of the playbook...

16. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Neither...

17. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

I think your forgetting a guy name Reggie Bush who had a lot to do with those championships. He not even the best player on his own team.

18. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

Guys I said it before. The reason I want VY to be a Jet is that I know he thrives on the big stage. He thrives on pressure. Back-to-back Rose Bowl MVPs speaks volumes. I just think he'll get opportunity to shine in NY than at Tennessee.

He had the hopes and dreams of an entire football-crazy state on his back the past 3 years, and led them to 20 straight wins to finish his career.

And I have one question about Leinart: Would he still be as heralded if he played for a school other than USC? Would he still have won a Heisman Trophy? On the other hand, Vince Young transformed the Texas program.

Leinart won the '04 Heisman because he was the best player on the best team. How often do those guys make it big in the NFL?

19. kevin68

kevin68 New Member

I agree 100%

20. lightning

lightning Active Member

HIS SENIOR YEAR! No one thought vince young would be a top prospect untill the rose bowl two years ago. And whoever said leinart was overthrowing receivers all day in the rose bowl needs to get his eyes checked.