You realize we haven’t had a playoff mandate in years?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Nov 13, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Completely disagree that mandates are absurd. They set an objective and an expectation. If you don't aim high you'll always fall short. Try this: If you say "Perfection - achieving 100% of a goal - is impossible, so why try?" Let me ask you: what percent below 100% IS realistic? And I will tell you that whatever your answer is, you will likely fall short of it. Therefore, would you rather fall short of 95% or 100%? It costs the same either way, but in the latter case you'll exceed your "realistic" expectations.

Here's another question: In looking at the coaches who have won SBs - and especially those who have won more than one - how many of them were "laid back" and didn't have a perfectionistic streak? I can't think of any.

"Aim for the stars. Even if you fall short, you'll still hit the moon".

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The Johnson’s have fired 4 coaches and 4 coaches in the past 18 years. How much more turnover do they need to make before it looks like 0 tolerance?

3. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

What gets me is since 1969, 3 of the 5 expansion teams (Tampa Bay, Seattle, Carolina, Jacksonville and Cleveland) have made a Super Bowl appearance and yet a major market team like the Jets has yet to even sniff one.
    True incompetence.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Until they get it right.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I mean the Jets definitely sniffed it in 1998 and 2009 and 2010, which is pretty recent. 2012-2019 has been a flat out embarrassment though, with only 2015 being slightly acceptable, yet that ended in misery in Week 17. Fans have a right to be upset and furious. The product has been unacceptable lately.Top to bottom.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I mean we can't hire and fire every year. Look at the Browns pattern since 2009.

2 years, 2 years, 1 year, 2 years, 2.5 years, 0.5 years, and now it'll be 1 year. Continuity is a lot more important than people give it credit for.

We just haven't found the right guy. I thought Mangini got the boot too early, Rex got the boot too late and they never should've let Bowles have any sort of influence on the top 5 pick QB if they didn't plan on keeping him. Bowles should've gotten fired with a whole new regime in so we weren't looking at a 3 coach in 4 years of Sam.

It's an even bigger problem under the new CBA that has all these fucking no contact in the off-season orders. It makes it a lot harder to be in the coaching carousel business than it used to be.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  7. FJF

So just one and done every coach?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes.

In all actuality, what this franchise needs to do is throw a boat load of money and years at a guy like Gruden. And just step back, say a prayer and hope it works. And it looks nice for the Raiders right now even though it might be a disaster. But at least there's a plan and a system in place.

McCarthy would've been a good candidate to do so with. Obviously Jim Harbaugh is a dream. Lincoln Riley maybe? I've always liked Chris Peterson from Washington although the overwhelming thought is that he wouldn't want to do it. And he's always strictly been a West Coast coach.

Otherwise we're just going to keep cycling coordinators until the fan base gets antsy and the team keeps losing.

For the record, I wanted nothing to do with Gruden or a situation like that. But I'm starting to think it's a worthwhile strategy. And you let the coach and GM change everything the way they want it; down to the music in the stadium and sounds played on 3rd down

9. FJF

Here’s the thing, none of those guys were who they are until they were. So maybe the best thing to do is what we see now. Put the ear plugs in and let the guys you hired execute the plan they told you they would implement when you hired them. Fans are going to throw a fit at the first sight of a losing season, let them bitch, guaranteed every single one that denounces their fandom will find some of their jet gear again as soon as it looks like the jets are on the up.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

It's a fair point. Stephen Jones has made Jason Garrett look like a competent head coach by building a brick wall of an offensive line. Maybe Joe D. can do the same here?

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

its a disgrace

12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Mandates went out the window the day the PSL invoices were paid.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

So is anyone gonna link me to even one owner publicly giving a playoff mandate or you all just gonna keep talking out of your ass as usual?

14. I mean really..youre gonna sit here & defend the johnsons?

If die hards like you are perfectly content w this shitstorm we really are hopeless.

The next time douchie patriot fans pick a fight at the grocery store about how the jets are hopeless illl send em your way.

15. Why the fuck does it matter if its been done before?!

How bout ownership thinking outside the box & taking a stand fir once?Dare i say INNOVATION?!

Its worked in other sports.Yankees,Lakers,Celtics & at one time the Red wings dont tolerate losing.Why the hell should we?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Attackett

So ya got nothing huh? What we need is smart ownership, not over emotional ownership.

FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Again. It's just so much easier said than done. You think the Johnson's wouldn't love to turn into the Yankees? Even stationed in New Jersey and with the state of the Giants, Knicks, Nets a year away from Durant, Rangers + Devil's in a rebuild, the Jets could be the king of this town rn if they were 7-2.

Darnold jerseys flying off the shelves, concessions up because of a full stadium, etc. Chris Johnson would love that. It's not like he's not trying. He's on the first GM/coach combo he got to pick.

What's your course of action for him to do at the moment? Come out and say Gase will likely be fired and I'm not even sure about Joe D. Or hell even Sam Darnold at this point. We may blow this entire thing up in the off-season down to the janitor.

Who cares what his public comments on? It's all posturing anyway.

I know everyone thinks they know better (including myself) but these owners are smart human beings, even if not football smart.

18. I dont NEED anything.I dont give a shit if its been done before or not as ive already suggested.

If thats your only argument youre gonna lose just like this god awful team does.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Coaches and owners and general managers all say very vague things because they have to.

When an owner says something like this; it's the right move for the benefit of the team and franchise. Just because you want him to be like a TV Show corporate boss that walks in and fires his whole staff after one month of underperforming staff doesn't mean it ever happens like that.

FJF and Attackett like this.
  20. Attackett

A playoff mandate is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, which is pretty amazing considering all the dumb shit said on here on a daily basis.

He must’ve had some mandate last year as Todd Bowles got fired after another shitty season. So you wanted Johnson to introduce Gase and say if he doesn’t make the playoffs year one he will be fired and we will keep hiring coaches until we do make the playoffs?

You’re a great poster Kurt but man you’re going off the deep end.