You are Joe Douglas. Tell me what you would do this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2020.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

NO - my scenario would have the Jets drafting another position in the first round and assuming Biadasz doesn’t make it to the second round. In reality I’d love to see them draft Biadasz but unfortunately with all their holes I’m not sure JD will go center that early.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. mrjet80

Exactly that reason see my reply to Ralebird.

3. mrjet80

I’m not sure if Thuney would sign with the Jets but if the Jets were able to sign him that would be huge. There are several guards in the draft the Jets will be able to draft right about the fourth round that I think could start right away - I personally like Steinberg out of Kentucky - tough player and seems to have a mean streak. Kraemer from Notre Dame is another.......draft one of those guys along with signing Thuney and the guard problem should be solved for a long time....

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think the sign one/draft one status is applicable to guard, receiver and tackle so I agree.

Center is the larger wild card IMO. We might live to fight another day at center what the third and fourth rounds offer. Harrison has trouble holding blocks but you can hide the center between two upgraded guards.

I keep coming back to 2005-2006 though. Pete Kendall played center with Jonathan Goodwin waiting in the wings. Goodwin turned out to be a decent NFL player. But we may look to move up and get Biadasz if he's available at the end of round 1 and replicate the Brick and Mangold story. Harrison is probably an identical player to Goodwin.

#144 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    MoWilkBeast, FJF and mrjet80 like this.
  5. mrjet80

Yes I remember Goodwin and you’re right Harrison is Goodwin Part 2. Good enough to be on a roster and hold the fort for a week or two. But not as a full time starter. I would love for the Jets to replicate 2006 in the draft.

Harrison is good enough to stick around while this OL transformation is under way. I like him better than Edoga that’s for sure .

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Agreed. Harrison needs to be retained regardless. He's a quality backup and he was our Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee so he has to be a good locker room guy. Maybe he's better at guard too?

I'd like to keep Beachum, Harrison, Alex Lewis and Edoga (by default). Outside of that we should have an empty shopping cart to fill out the other 5 spots on the unit. Even if it's lower tier signings. Ideally, we only want two of Lewis, Beachum and Harrison starting by next year.

NCJetsfan, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Harrison is fine. It was an enormous mistake to think he wasn't, and pick up a pudgy Kalil from the couch. Kalil half assed it, took at least $5 million and sucked. An enormous mistake by Douglas & Gase.

Ive been sayin it for years, center is the position you can go cheap with. Tackle & guard are not. Its called risk management. Manage your line, you have a center who is smart in Harrison, get some one who can fking block next to him. The draft pick should be a cornerstone tackle. trade for another tackle and draft guards in the mid rounds.

8. BrowningNagle

Le'Veon Bell to Washington for Trent Williams? That would be a good move if possible

Brook! likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

32 year old tackle coming off the same scenario as Bell as not playing in two years?

Could be a good stop gap, but it also could be an equally bad disaster. I'd rather get picks for Bell if we're moving him even though it's hard because Maccagnan fucked us on his signing bonus.

He was a really good player if he returns to form. And a big human being.

10. BrowningNagle

Tackles can handle a lay off better than a RB can. I doubt anyone is giving draft pick(s) for Leveon Bell. They didn't even offer draft picks for him when Pittsburgh was trying to trade him.... in his prime

11. Jonathan_Vilma

True enough. Speed of the game will be less important for a tackle than a runningback. I just don't want to see tackle be stop-gapped any longer than it should be. We've Ryan Clady'd the position for long enough.

Maybe he turns into Andrew Whitworth in his mid to late 30's? Did you email Joe D?

Red Menace likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

It's gonna have to be 'stop-gapped' in some manner. Chances are a rookie isn't gonna take the reigns at a high level.

I don't have a way to get to Joe Douglas' ear but Larry David does. I think we should tell him first and see if he will relay the message for us lol

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If Jets does grab these FAs, I'd consider the team fucked beyond repair for a foreseeable future.

That said, there was actually one name I wanted; Gary Kubiak. Looks like Gary is staying in Minnesota, but as an OC, which he wasn't last year. (Happened just now - as in today. Typical Jets luck.)

14. Vida

Vida Active Member

We needed a Centre last offseason, it was diabolical in 2018 (botched snaps, botched blocks etc - just all round bad play putting Darnold under the pump)

boozer32 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why would they be fucked?

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Can we sign all of them? After Maccagnan BPA debacle drafts this team needs some talent. Bucky Brooks has the Jets picking massive tackle Becton in the 1st round. A nimble 369 lb masher at right tackle is highly needed. It would help Sam and Bell.

#156 boozer32, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

So we should roll into 2020 with a first round tackle, second round receiver and third round guard and watch Sam get killed again?

We need to be smart in free agency. Not dormant.

Brook!, boozer32, NYJFOREVER and 3 others like this.
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am not saying Jets should stay away from FAs. Just one reminder - those who win in FA period rarely even get to the playoff, let alone FA. More prudent and smart approach would be necessary regarding the FA. Getting the most expensive ones available is usually reserved for teams that are [ready to compete] which the Jets are not.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

49ers got Sherman, Coleman, and many others in fa. Chief have their share of FAs. Patriots have Gilmore and more. Every team needs good free agent acquisitions. Good teams do well in FA and the draft. Not just one. It's about being smart and not just signing all the top fa. But you need FA vets.

#159 J-Raw24, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about Jadeveon Clowney.

He's a flawed player, injury prone, overrated and all that but I'm coming around to the logic behind signing him.

The Jets haven't had a true edge pass rusher since they traded away Abraham, Gregg Williams has seemingly always had that monster sack master and I don't know where we're gonna get that guy they don't grow on trees.

It's risky but they might have to take a chance.

They can't 'rebuild' forever. They didn't draft Darnold or spend a cr@pload of money last offseason or bring in Gase & Williams to rebuild.

At some point in the near future the Jets will have to go all in and go for it.

Brook! likes this.