You are Joe Douglas. Tell me what you would do this offseason.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2020.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

agree, criticism of Gase is vastly overblown. No doubt the stats are horrible and there are grounds for criticism, but under the circumstances 7-9 is great improvement, and in context there's a lot to be optimistic about going forward

Mosley -- barely played
    Avery W -- see above
    Bell -- never figured out how to maximize him (that could be a taint on Gase but it also could be why Gase didn't want him; it also could be a taint on some posters who thought the simple addition of Bell would turn around our offense)
    Osemele (came for the paycheck)
    Most of the OL - multiple injuries and stink when healthy for the most part
    enunwa -- no show/injury
    herndon -- see above with ban
    darnold and mono
    trumaine -- no show again

we spent a lot of money in FA (Bell) and had some trades for expensive players (Osemele) who contributed next to nothing. Rectify half of that plus add another year of familiarity and we'll take another step forward

When was the last time you expected the Jets to consistently score on the opening drive?!? I did second half of the year, with a patchwork of receivers, a TE missing in action, and a RB who wasn't contributing much for whatever reason

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I take it you didn't watch him in Miami?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

PUHLEEZE! Who said that? Find me a poster here who ever said "Adding Bell is going to turn this offense around!" If anyone DID say that, they were alone in that and were over-reacting.

Th actual consensus here was that we all hoped that he wouldn't show too much rust, and that if he performed close to his historical average he would really help to take all the load off Sam. Unfortunately we have a HC who doesn't know how to use a talent like Bell, and can't adjust to learn how to.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't know if it is possible to be a good head coach in Miami. Their organization has been even more messed up than the Jets over the last decade.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

They do repeatedly hire the wrong people.

6. Vida

Vida Active Member

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards keeping Anderson. Even if we pay slight overs, the continuity for Darnold might be worth paying for.

I look at it this way - if we have $x to spend on WR it doesn't matter how that is split. If we draft a WR we'll be paying them on a rookie contract so the money saved can be put towards paying slight overs for Anderson.

I've just been watching the Raiders game and Anderson was good with a couple of big catches. I know he's probably not going to ever be an elite receiver but if he is a rung below that and we draft in another receiver or 2 to create a solid corps it might be the way to go.

Red Menace, FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No pointing the finger directly at you but all I hear is that Gase doesn't know how to use Bell... how is that even an argument for Bell's lack of production in this offense?
    There is plenty of film on Bell in a black & gold uniform that actually shows how to use the guy yet our "guru" can't figure it out... come on ?

It's pretty obvious that Gase has his own theory of what a productive offense should look like & the pompous attitude that he knows better than everyone else... that's the real reason he couldn't figure out how to use Bell.
    It's also the same reason he didn't make any moves to upgrade the offensive staff .like the Bears did , to improve the teams production or get better teacher's for Sam.

#107 Jersey Joe 67, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Fourteen was your number; no one mentioned that before you did. Creating an argument and pursuing it does not seem to be a good use of one's time.

My prediction is his average over whatever contract he receives here or elsewhere will average between 12.5 and 13 a year.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dude. Go read it yourself. The entire board was buzzing about signing him. You also don't pay a runningback $13+ million for the first two years of his deal unless you think he's going to transform the offense. He's the third highest paid running back in the league and one of only 4 guys who make $10 million+

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/jets-signed-leveon-bell.92085/

I'll always come back to how you believe Bell should be used given all of the touches he received. Even if you'd like to argue that he was incorrectly, one would thing that someone who is supposed to be as talented as Bell would've been able to take 30-40 of those touches (10%?) and create better plays than he did.

Or maybe, just maybe, the player isn't as good as advertised due to his hiatus and lack of motivation.

#109 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 23, 2020
    azhar80 and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Or the offensive line doesn't mesh with his running style and the Jets o-line is incapable of blocking in space (i.e screens, tosses, etc)

People then clamored for him to be used as a receiver, but the offensive line was atrocious in pass pro so they needed to keep Bell in.

Regardless, you don't give a RB that much money.

azhar80 and Vida like this.
  11. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

In regards to Gase and not using Bell properly... Bell is a veteran, and a established name in the game, if a coach is not using him correctly, Bell would voice his displeasure. I think Bell tells the Coaching staff how he wants to be used.
    Look even Sam D came to AG and said he likes certain plays, and doesnt like certain plays. AG then changed things up, and Sam played much better down the stretch.
    I think coaches not knowing how to use a RB argument, is over done, especially at the NFL level.
    I think Bell was used the way he was specifically due to the Oline we had. Before this season if you asked any fan on this board they'd say Bell is a much better RB than B Powell. But IMO when BP ran the ball, he looked better. Why? Is that on AG also?

LAJet and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't really think a historically bad offensive line meshes with any runningbacks running style. The point is certainly taken, but it's beaten to death. It's not out of the realm of possibility for a player to adjust. He flourished in a man blocking scheme with lead blockers pulling into the hole.

That argument is kind of moot though as we're talking about a player whose entire running style is predicated on vision. A player with this unbelievable vision should do well in a zone scheme that's about finding the correct hole and cutting back. His slow 'patient' running style was only achievable because he played behind a Hall of Fame guard with an 8x Pro Bowl/2x All-Pro center next to him.

I think we've learned our lesson though with runningbacks. And I also think that while Bell has soft hands and was a talented player; he benefitted from his environment as much as any runner in history. Playing with Antonio Brown and Ben Roethlisberger opened up his game and running lanes as much as he helped them. That passing game and offense flourished just as much when they had supposedly 'lesser' players.

James Conner has 1,470 yards from scrimmage in 13 games (113.1 yards per game/20.8 touches per game).. Bells best we 2,215 in 16 (138.4 yards per game/23.3 touches per game). A drop off but nothing too significant.

#112 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 23, 2020
    azhar80, chandler and NYJFOREVER like this.
  13. chandler

the issue may be as simple as the way to use Bell is have a superior offensive line; Bell waits for holes to develop and then hits them. That said, what happens if your OL at the moment sucks?

this is why i took issue with statements about how Bell was gpoing to -- almost single-handedly-- transform the offense. With the Steelers, he benefited from a great line; he benefited from an offense that had a good/great core of receivers and a QB to prevent stacking the box. There's a lot of dependcies and synergies here (as Bell and OL abilities likewise helped the QB/WRs).

And to be clear, I don't dislike Bell. I think the idea that even a superstar RB will transform a team is over-hyped. You need all the other pieces in place too

azhar80 and Jersey Joe 67 like this.
  14. chandler

much better said than my recent attempt. That last line is key though; similar to what used to happen in Denver years ago. And no it doesn't mean you can plug any RB into that system and get 100+/game, but yes it means that the RB is not some unique superstar solely responsible for the stats (like Barry Sanders).

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Definitely. There are transcendent talents at runningback. Barkley looked like one his rookie year before his injuries derailed him. Adrian Peterson was one. Christian McCaffrey looks like one but we'll see if he can be used to orchestrate a top offense especially after his ridiculous useage this year. Todd Gurley looked like one until he got hurt.

But I hope the Jets learn from this mess in removing a runningback from a perennial top 5 offense surrounded by Hall of Fame and All-Pro players and try to just plug and play them.

16. chandler

It was a desperation move by Macc. I like Bell but IMO the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Mac would have been well served to see how the Steelers and Broncos did what they did. Create a superior offensive line. Find a talented back in the 2,3d or 4th round. As a general rule, many RBs have a short shelf life (as you note above, e.g., due to injuries) investing a 1st in them, or tons of guaranteed money is very risky. In contrast, many OL and DL have long shelf lives, if they're good. You have a better return on investment

Vida and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the Bell move in itself wasn't a bad one, but they did nothing to accommodate the move to ensure its success, so it became a bad one.

Le'veon bell has a unique running style. If you wanna roll successfully with him you gotta build your team around that. Some stability on the offensive line so they can get used to him setting up blocks and manipulating overcommitted linebackers. You need smart players around him, that can adjust downfield. You need guys that are strong at the point of attack.

Jets had none of that. A bunch of dumb, inexperienced players. They had pure dysfunction on that offense due to injury, suspension, and lack of depth. Bell was a wasted signing. they should trade him if they can

JetsNation06 and FJF like this.
  18. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I was totally excited at the Bell signing but wary that Gase hated the Deal

As it turns out , Bell and his Agent raped Macagnan and the Jets for Millions and all he did was catch the Flu and wrack up an impressive bowling score..feh

It's my impression today that Bell knows we are stuck with him and his play may reflect that even with an improvement at OL...no one knows how he will fare, the entire Team or Gase as a Coach come next September (51 years since our last SB:eek:)