You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Been thinking about this myself. I know that the 9ers and the Seahawks come up a lot in this discussion, but what about two other teams: the Giants and the Vikings?! Both of these teams are pretty strong, but have weak secondaries. They each have a full compliment of picks and Revis would strongly improve them. And we can be pretty certain that the Vikings wouldn't be scared off by the ACL injury, heh.

In any event, there will be a market for our guy -- whether the Jets get equal return remains to be seen.

2. Marvin49

Marvin49 New Member

@noodlearm

1) Giants: I think they have their own cap issues as they have been releasing players like mad in the last 2 days.

2) Vikings: They are alot more than a player away, but who knows...maybe they are a player here. I can't see that team ever going to a SB tho with Christian Ponder.

3) Seahawks: They are only a few players away, but they already have 2 really good corners. Would they break the bank for a 3rd

4) 49ers: I'm a fan so trying not to be biased...but I think they are the best option. Whether they actually are serious about or not tho is anyones guess.

3. Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu New Member

Nothing.

Why?

The teams that are already good and would like to add Revis, don't have the cap to pay him the insane 16 mil 60m guaranteed demand he is making and a rental would screw them over royally if they dont win that year.

The teams that could pay Revis have no reason to give up a high draft pick for a guy they can just wait to sign in FA.

Your best bet may be the Bengals who have a playoff pick and an insane amount of cap to blow through this year. It would likely be a good deal for them, but I don't think they will want to overpay him given they have to pay Johnson, Atkins, and in 2 years Dalton and Green, but who knows.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I hate Al Davis. I don't care that he's dead. I still hate him.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

But that's a Revis problem.

The Jets secondary was so good last year, absent the Payboy, that given the injury and the lack of fall off din his absence, makes him look like a less worthwhile investment.
    The Jets should offer to extend him at the current 6 mil, swhich is his actual worth....

When he turns it dwn, after two hold outs, he'll look like a head ache.

Then they should drop the offer to 5.

If someone else wants to suck up their cap space, trade him IN the division.
    Win win.

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

You're being asinine. Revis is worth more than 6 mil, and trading him within our division is the worst possible scenario (aside from letting him go in free agency and having the Pats pick him up).

7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the right answer here, but I did see the Jets D play well without Revis and with a terrible linebacking crew and a rookie on the D-line. They should have a better pass rush next year and better linebackers and a young skilled D-line with some experience. They also have a great defensive coach in Rex Ryan. I think the D will be excellent without Revis and they need the cap room to build an offense. They are an extremely unbalanced team, which is not good in today's NFL.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No corner is worth more than 5 percent of the cap.

If someone in the division wants to pay him15 percent, and cripple their team. Let them have it.

You are missing the big picture here.

The cap defines the team.

Screw the cap, screw the team.

9. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

If I'm not mistaken Cromartie is making more than 6 mill so would you like to dump both Revis and Cro?

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Their are 6 NFL teams schedule to spend less than $6 million combined on CB's in 2013. The majority of NFL teams are schedule to spend over $10 million in CB's in 2013. I think you're way too low on your figure of 5 percent ($6 million), and yes I know you're referring to one corner and not the entire group of corners on a team.

I do think the amount Revis is going to get is a hindrance, but 5% is ridiculously low.

The Jets & Cowboys are scheduled to spend about $25 million each on CB's in 2013. That's about 20% of the cap on CB's which is way too much IMO.

http://www.overthecap.com/defensebreakdown.php?Year=2013

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What team in the cap era has been consistently successful while paying CB's 15% of the cap? I just can't find that team. There've been a few teams with high-priced corners that won a Super Bowl but that's not where the really good teams have chosen to spend their money.