You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Win the NE game instead of a close loss and we may have had a completely different season?

We can all speculate just like you're doing with Sanchez.

2. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Hobbes,

Man I actually like you and read a lot of your posts but you are wrong. The Jets are being held back becuase Mark sucks and is making way to much for his level of performance. A serviceable QB doesnt make 10 mil a year....

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I totally agree Hill catches that ball...the season goes differently.

However, as I posted elsewhere, after Boomer was forced to backtrack on the Sanchez nonsense, an hour later they were talking up, not just Westhoff, but according to Boomer and Carton, Multiple reports that Sparano was clueless...

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If the argument is being made about what is holding back this team then you can't objectively ever put Sanchez and Revis in the same category. Sanchez is the obvious answer about what's holding this team back. Along with many other smaller variables however he is the main variable.

Now if you want to talk about a completely separate argument which is What is in the best long term interest for the Jets to build sustained success as Idzik talked about, then you can talk about Revis and his contract situation and possibly trading him.

However some on here like to combine the two which is patently untrue. Revis is the best thing on this team as it currently stands today. I'd put Wilkerson as the second best player on this team right now.

Yet when talking about what has hurt the Jets it is Sanchez. Two totally different arguments though.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's not just about the record. It's about the defensive stats, comp% and QB rating against, which were around the same as last year without Revis. The record is irrelevant. Our defense was just as productive against the pass.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Statistics in football games are highly dependent on game situations. To completely ignore the fact that teams didn't need to score or make big plays in the passing game to beat us as not having a bearing on statistics is to ignore the game completely.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I chuckled at "the record is irrelevant" part. I don't think I've ever heard anyone seriously try to make that argument.

It's a mirage that the defense was just as productive against the pass this season. They played an unusual amount of young, inexperienced, crappy QBs. In the games in which they didnt - the pass defense struggled.

Darrelle Revis played in 2 of the Jets wins. They went 4-10 without him. Somehow I think they might've gotten at least a couple more wins the rest of the way with the NFL's best defensive back instead of scrubs like Kyle Wilson, Isiah Trufant, etc....

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

When the Jets had Revis paired with a cover Safety the Jets got to the AFC finals twice. In 09 we had the best over all D in Jets history and the league with Revis paired with a good cover safety in Rhodes. In 2010 after we traded Rhodes we were expossed on D until we moved Lowery over to Safety after Leonard was hurt. That again allowed our D to go on a nice little run through the playoffs.

Revis allowed our secondary to double down on the No. 2 WR or cover the TE with a safety instead of a LB. Of course Rex and Tanny traded both Rhodes and Lowery and left our D expossed in 2011 negating the ability that Revis gave us.

Revis is a great player and he allows us to not have to cover the primary with 2 players, a decided advantage on D which we took full advantage of in both 2009 and 2010 when we actually had a safeties who could run and cover.

I have no issue trading Revis but I'm not under any illusion that underpaying for a CB who is going to need lots of help means we are going to be able to spread that value around. That's not a given at all.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reason I want to see Revis gone is that I don't believe the Jets can put together a winning roster when they are trying to maintain two franchise QB salary numbers on the cap. I think having another highly paid CB is a huge irritant in that process also but the fact is that for the Jets to get to the next level they are going to have to find a QB who is worth paying huge money too.

Watching Darrelle Revis play CB on a succession of teams not good enough to win a Super Bowl, at least in part because he takes up an 8th of the cap is not my idea of a good time over the next few seasons.

Champ Bailey was a great CB too, and just like Revis and the Jets the Broncos had a few good years in his prime. I'm looking for more than a few good years that fall short and a franchise CB doesn't help with that.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Young great players on their first contract are much cheaper then older great players on their third contract. Once we clear Sanchez, our bloated LB corp. and Holmes I don't see any issue in affording a great young QB for a couple of years.

We certainly aren't in a position to sign Flacco or any other QB that puts us over the top as long as Sanchez is on the roster for big money. I really don't see this as an issue for the Jets unless we are going to draft a QB and some weapons that we think will grow together and win in their first contract. I really don't see that as reality.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

As I pointed out, even Boomer Esiaison pointed out that it would be (his word, not mine) IMPOSSIBLE for any QB to succeed under the conditions that have existed here, over the last several years...

Or did you mean that Schotty, and Sparano were really good OCs?

PS Westhoff also said it about this year specifically.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

[YOUTUBE]YAZ9bSijSlQ[/YOUTUBE]

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Well that would explain the constant confusion on the sidelines. Each time Sanchez, Tebow and Sparano were on the sidelines talking about offensive plays, it looked like they were trying to solve a puzzle. Makes plenty of sense, but I can't go by multiple reports. But as Steve Young said, he failed to provide any spark. Last time I saw any spark was during the Patriots game @ Foxboro earlier in the season.

#1293 101GangGreen101, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  14. lbblitz

lbblitz New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Eric Smith and Brodney Pool played the majority of the snaps at safety during the Jets 2010 playoff run.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Oh man. I'm getting burnt doing this all day haha. Whether teams had to pass or not against us DOES NOT AFFECT opposing QB completion percentage! If anything, it SHOULD make it better because we'd have to put extra effort to stop the run. It effects the total passing yardage, not opposing QB comp %. OQBC% is a direct indicator on our corners and cover safeties. That shows the passing D was doing it's job when it had to, even if it wasn't that often.

#1295 Barcs, Jan 29, 2013
  16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Are you not the one that made fun of me for merely mentioning win/loss record when talking about an OC? (If not, my bad) I didn't say the record is completely irrelevant, but are you seriously trying to tell me the offense didn't have a crapload to do with our win/loss record? REALLY? I'd say the offense is 90% at fault for our record. Sometimes I just scratch my head when people selectively quote mine me without looking at the full context of what I was posting about. Revis wouldn't have saved this season, regardless. We needed OFFENSE. The defense was good enough, that even mediocre (hell top 20) QB play and passing offense would have been good enough, even without Revis.

#1296 Barcs, Jan 29, 2013
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We didn't make any extra effort to stop the run we sucked against the run. Teams ran all over us. The D wasn't that good and we were overplaying the pass even though teams were very happy running the ball against us. Why not we couldn't score and we gave them great field position. Our d was playing pass on a short field it helps the pass d stats.

#1297 Biggs, Jan 29, 2013
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Someone clean Biggs's Mustang....... he's taking you guys for a ride in this race

19. lamont_jordan_rules

i would offer him 10-12 per year for 5-10 years

once his agents turn that down

i will try to get a 1 & 2 ... then a 1 this year & 2 next year might be swung ... i settle for whatever best offer is out there this offseason for him ... i'd expect to see at least a 1 & 3 offered

ljr

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

When Leonard went down and NE destroyed us on Monday night Lowery was installed and got extensive playing time at safety and was on the field for much of the NE game. Smith ended up getting a majority of the snaps against the Steelers after they decided to run the ball down our throats.