You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I heard Herm Edwards say -"Knowing John Idzik the way I do, I would say that Darelle Revis will be on the train out of NY as Tim Tebow) - paraphrased.

Facts are Revis held out a long time before signing rookie deal. He didn't live up to the deal he held out for and held out again.
    There is no indication that he is willing to give the Jets any home team discount when the next payday comes due. Revis is all about his $$$ and the Jets simply cannot afford to tie up the dollars it is going to take.

I love Revis as a player but the smart thing to do is cash in your chips for as much as you can get because otherwise he will be gone with nothing in return.

If we were a SB contender I would say keep hum and if he walks at the end of the year so be it, but we are not going to be even sniffing the playoffs next year.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If Revis is going to cost 15 per year we may be able to sign 3 very good starting quality FA's along with getting draft picks. In the era of the salary cap clearing cap space can get you quality players just like a draft pick does.

It's not just about the return in players or picks, it's freeing up space.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Throw in Brady and Welker too and they got a deal!:up:

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

For a 'gaggle' of picks it would be good.
    A 1st rounder alone is not at all worth trading him for.

I'd rather look to move Cro or Harris for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
    Take the pick, and use the cap money to ink a QB, re-sign a guy like Landry, or pick up a FA Olineman.

5. AlToon

AlToon Member

"I don't think this kid is ever going to be happy, financially," Brandt said. "I think he and his representation have made it clear to the Jets and probably anyone else who asks, it's not enough to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL today or even NFL history. They're into this whole 'premier player' negotiations, which has worked for two players.

"It worked for Chris Johnson -- although Adrian Peterson went past that -- and it worked for Larry Fitzgerald, where you're not compared to the market. This is their argument: Forget what cornerbacks make; he wants to be paid like the best players.

"I just sense this is never going to stop with Revis. Forget the fact that he's hurt all year; this is going to be an issue and I sense the Jets have known this for a while and they might as well try to get some value before he turns free agent a year from now. I sense this is going to be a recurring issue, into the year, and that's why they want to move it. They just want to get this off the team."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...ppy?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

6. BacktoQueens

Once again, could not disagree with you more.
    You simply do not trade a hall of fame player to free up cap space.
    you can trade Cro or Harris for that.

You trade Revis only for a lot of return value, namely in the way of draft picks.

7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You know, I've heard this argument so many times here, it really starts to bother me.

First, are you sure DR will be in HOF... if he stays on Jets?
    Don't rush answering this question... The knee-jerk reaction is, of course "Are you nuts?! Look at his talent, at who he shuts down!!! Of course he is HOF!!!"
    No consider that Jets keep paying whatever it takes to keep him -- year after year, contract after contract. Fuck other areas: fuck QB, pass rush, WRs, RBs... let's do everything to keep DR here. So Jets are 5 to 7 win team for the next decade, until Revis retires....

Are you sure DR will be elected to the HOF playing his whole career on a losing team? You & I will agree that he should be -- just based on his talent. You & I however are not the ones who vote.
    So, let’s first get rid if this dogma that Revis is a guaranteed HOFer if he stays with Jets.

Second, who says "you don't trade HOFer"? Where the hell is this written, is there a rule or something?
    Future HOF are traded all the time, in all sports, every season. Pujols to Angels just past year. And that's in baseball, where there is no cap and you can pay top $$ to the HOF and upgrade the rest of the team with no cap penalty.

8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

To me my issue is Wilson sucks, so if we trade Revis who is starting next to Cro

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

If that's the case, how come Jets were fine without him this year? Remember that our problem this season was offense -- you said so yourself. :)

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

WHen he walks and signs with the Pats in 14 let me know how you feel.

Harris has little trade value and Cro at least produced with value.

We brought in a cap guy to clean up the mess and quickly rebuild for 14 and 15. Revis will not be here in 14 we should get something for him.

There's a reason we brought in Tannenbaum 2.0 instead of George Young 2.0.

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Revis will not be traded. They will work something out and look into trading Cro instead.

Rex won't want this to happen nor does anyone in their right mind. Idzik is "exploring" all options. It's not gonna happen. No one will give us enough to warrant the trade

12. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

The whole thing is a shame, especially when you have overpaid scrub like Holmes on your team, but Revis is as good as gone. The question now, is who do you shop him to and who do you not shop him to?

13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

He is not worth considering other area that need improvements.
    I underlined that on purpose in my original post, so that you don't miss it. Perhaps bolding will help...

If Jets had 49-ers type team -- i.e. all pieces in place, everything balanced and there are some extra $$ -- by all means, pay Revis $16M. The problem is -- again -- Jets need to upgrade everywhere & paying top $$ to DR will prevent this from happening.

Paying Revis and keeping bad team is like sitting neck-deep in shit while holding a 4-carat diamond ring.

14. BacktoQueens

You trade him if the return value is right, not just to free up cap space.
    That is short term thinking.

If you don't trade him, you re-sign. Highest paid CB is 12 mil per. Will def cost that plus some more, but not 15mil.
    If he is clearly looking for 15mil +, and not budging, then that becomes a tradeable factor as well.
    But simply to clear up space is short sighted thinking..

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Wanna bet?

16. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Holmes is overpaid, but he's no "scrub."

Even if you consider Holmes a scrub, don't blame him for the cap situation. Blame the "cap guru" GM who bid against himself to throw $50M at the guy.

17. BacktoQueens

I said HOF in the making....not guaranteed.
    The way he's been playing,, he is on that path. Every year first team All-Pros do typically get in. Being considered consensus best at your position year over year typically get you in.
    Of course its not guaranteed as you need play at that level for longevity as well. He has some career to go first..

18. Falco21

No one is gonna give what we want. There is no way. If we do get what we want, then so be it, but I just don't see anyone giving that much up.

19. Falco21

Manish Mehta

I'm told Darrelle Revis +Jets GM John Idzik did, indeed, have a chat yesterday, as @ProFootballTalk said earlier. #nyj

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Where did I ever say just to clear space. I'm simply pointing out that you get more then just picks or a pick and a player you get space to sign other potential starters. This is a salary cap league that makes having a highly skilled roster of guys who have gone through their first and second contracts virtually impossible. The Jets were built to win in 08 and 09, we got a nice run in 10. We simply can't afford all these overpaid guys when we don't have enough good young starters who are reasonably priced.