You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Hard to see us getting a big haul for Revis. He can walk and in order to get a huge haul you would need multiple teams interested that had 2 things, tons of cap space and the need for 1 shut down corner to get them over the hump.

The NFL is made up of good teams that are at over or near their cap and crappy teams that won't spend. I don't see a huge market for Revis. We aren't getting a bundle of first day picks.

2. jetzfan

jetzfan Member

I wouldn't like to see him go but hasn't he already held out two times already? And who's to say that he wouldn't do it again? Get what you can for him while his value is still relatively high and move forward.

3. Ted

Ted Member

Cincinnati, Dallas and Denver are close, and have more then enough room to fit him. Of the three, Denver would have the biggest need because Champ Bailey is obviously on the downside of his career.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Cincinnati is notoriously cheap, I don't believe Dallas could fit him without a major shake up and Denver needs a QB it's clear Mannings arm is gone. Don't see them giving up first day picks when all they really need is a safety who can actually make a play on a deep ball when his job is to keep the WR in front of him with a lead.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The comment connecting Woody to the Revis trade potential was probably designed to take the heat off of Idzik. Coming in to a new job and trading a very popular player can set the tone for seasons to follow.

It was a good move leaking this with Woody's name attached to it.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So you think Woody leaked this through the same guy who leaked the I had Tebow forced on my but didn't leak that? Interesting take.

Personally I don't think an NFL GM needs or should be protected. An NFL GM has to turn off the noise and succeed or fail based on what the right moves are. Having the Owner protect him in this way shows a lack of organizational integrity. It could all be BS.

7. Ted

Ted Member

I am with you on Manning's arm, especially in cold weather, but it appears they are planning on keeping him. The CB position clearly cost them against the Ravens and an upgrade like Revis would certainly interest them.

As for the Bengals, they have 55 mil in space and are required by the new CBA to spend up to at least 89% of the cap. That works out to about 43-45 mil of that 55 mil they need to burn.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this is just a negotiating tactic. I love Revis and would be very disappointed if they traded him. However, if they are committing to a really thorough tear down and rebuild and this is going to help with that process than I can stomach it. If they trade Revis and then just cobble together a mediocre team for a run at a wildcard spot I would be furious.

In other words: keep Revis if you are trying to compete short term, move him if you are going to move out other bodies and build a young team through the draft that can do some real damage over a number of years.

Side note that has probably already been covered: Why not trade Cro instead? His trade value has probably never been higher after the pro-bowl season he just had, his contract is also expensive but he's still got a year or two left (I think). Revis is coming off a season ending injury going into a contract year with a history of holdouts, I don't think his stock could be much lower.

9. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing
    Jets would want a 1, at least, for Revis. He'd want franchise-QB money in this flat-cap era, coming off ACL surgery. Good luck with that.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

YES!!!!!
    The move if fairly obvious, no great brain power needed, but considering Jets had trouble making obvious moves lately... me happy!!

I'm starting to like Idzik.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

In a heartbeat. The problem is we'd get none of them in a straight up trade for Revis. I would fully expect Revis to demand top dollar like last time. The precedent is already there. With that in mind, you have to trade him while he's at the top of his market. If the Jets were smart and kept this out of the media(which never happens with this fucking zoo) they could have held off until after the 2013 season. Let Revis prove to the league that he's fully recovered from the acl and still the best cb in football. Then they could command a first rounder in exchange for him. Yet this can't happen now because this is now public and Revis definitely can't be happy about this becoming national news. Someone needs to put a lid on all the shit coming out of Florham Park. This is a shining example of how this kind of info can hurt the jets leverage in player negotiations.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Look at some of the names you guys are throwing out there. Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Calvin Johnson, JJ Watt... are you serious?! Teams might not even give up a first rounder for him and you guys want franchise's best players? I'm all for trading Revis, but some of you are delusional.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think the Jets would take less to NOT trade him to any other AFC team.

14. Br4d

The market for Revis is going to be whatever it is. The Jets can begin exploratory talks with the interested suitors and see where that goes. There's no leverage to create a hot market for Revis. He either has significant value to the teams making offers or he doesn't.

We'll just need to see where it goes.

15. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Yes, yes you can. Medicine has come along way, but it's still not guaranteed he comes back the same. As an analogy, Tommy John Surgery has made great advances since it started, yet there are pitchers that still can't come back from it and reform to what they were. It's not set in stone.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The timing is interesting as the presser is today, isn't it? I am sure it will come up.

17. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

My gut feeling is that a lot of people will be disappointed in the compensation received in a Revis trade, based on some of the proposals in this thread.

18. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

You need to get something for him now! His contract states that the Jets can not tag him.

19. Br4d

Two very different situations. The Tebow leak was guaranteed to produce blow back on Woody and the Jets. The Revis leak on the other hand has begun a conversation around the NFL and particularly in the Jets fan base that could help the team.

This is a surprising statement coming from a guy who has watched the metro area media at work for 4+ decades. I think a guy coming in the door needs significant cover for any moves likely to produce a firestorm when they are made.

You know for a fact that if a Revis deal is made it's going to produce a significant amount of negative press, particularly if the Jets are not likely to get a top end offer but have to settle for a lesser one like "only" a 1st round pick.