You Again Today Saw....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wahoo, Nov 17, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm "Pro-Rex' but I'll agree that this week was not one of his finer moments.

The double edge sword of Rex is coaching up of his guys on emotion...... great when take down the Goliaths, but then fall flat against supposedly lesser challengers

2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

100% true its hard to keep team focused if you base it all on emotion to face the bills.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I blame Rex and his staff for most of yesterday but most of the losses the last 2 years have been b/c of talent./ The fact that we are still in playoff position w/ what we have is amazing and a credit to rex and his staff.

4. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Who do you propose they replace him with?

It's certainly bad to come out and perform the way they did yesterday, or against Tennessee, or against Cincy. However, you also need to consider the situations the defense was put into by the turnovers.

I do think that these bad losses are going to doom his job if they Jets finish 8-8 or worse and lose in this manner again.

But I am wary of firing him unless there's a sure-fire replacement who's a proven winner.

#84 Jtuds, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. Mitch_Dumstein

fire rex!!!! Fire woody!!! Fire geno!!! Fire everybody!!!the sky is falling
    !!!the sky is falling!!!

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The fact is Rex is a mixed bag. I think when you look at the roster, he's great with the x's and o's stuff, getting a great deal out of the talent level he has to work with.

But it's obvious to me he's not great on the talent evaluation stuff. I would say he's good overall here, but he's made several obvious mistakes.

Where he's particularly a mixed bag is in on the motivational level. He on one hand can seem to get his team fired up with an us v. them thing when they are facing a big game against a big name opponent. But he seems befuddled how to lead the team against teams the Jets should beat, on paper. And often don't.

When I first heard the line on yesterday's game had the Jets 1 point underdogs, my initial reaction was against Buffalo? Who had lost five of their last seven, and three in a row? After the Jets beat the Saints, and were coming off a bye?

Well, the sports line obviously should have had Buffalo favored by even more.

Rex has his strengths, but he clearly does not have this HC thing figured out yet.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

While I didn't see enough today to say, Fire Rex Now!, I do understand and totally agree with the notion that you don't give Rex his multiyear extension until the end of the season. This team is Schizophrenic and I don't know how much of that is Rex and his way of coaching, or the team and it's mental state or some ghastly combination of both.

Yesterday was on everybody associated with the team on the field from the coaches on down to the players. This is not a playoff contender and they won't be until they develop CONSISTENCY. Where does that come from is the million dollar question and the answer might be the reason why Rex does or doesn't get extended.

BTW, asking "Who do you replace Rex with?" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

#87 Cman68, Nov 18, 2013
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's a terrible argument and a poor way of thinking.

If a coach doesn't deserve his job anymore or an extension - then you have to not give him those things, regardless if you know a replacement. That's such a horrible reason to keep a coach.

There are plenty of guys out there who haven't gotten a chance yet who could be much better or much worse, but if you know what you have isn't cutting it - then you look elsewhere and give these guys a chance. Leadership should never be evaluated by comparison but internally by results.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There are no sure fire winners. We did hire a GM last year. He hasn't fired Rex and he hasn't extended him yet. Idzik is going to survive or perish based on this decision and the results of the team overall.

Tannenbaum was fired and the HC survived. I doubt Rex survives another GM without the GM having something to say about it.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good post.

Additionally, he gets too high after any win, but especially a big win - this is why fans love him, myself included. It adds to the enthusiasm after a big win to watch Rex's presser and hear him all pumped up and what not... to an additional extent, losses, he's all pissed off, we're gonna fix this etc... That's how we as fans are, that's why we love it.

But- that's not how a coach should be. He needs to be on a even keel, keep his team focused and calm throughout. A coach should be the ONE guy who keeps the players minds focused that every game is big.... How you are playing almost matters more than w's and l's..

Obviously I'm not there to say for sure, but it's human nature to relax a little after a big accomplishment. How are these "big wins" carrying over into the next week's preparation? Rex might say "let's take it one game at a time" but if he's all jacked up, congratulating his players, hooting and hollering after a regular season win, I would think it would be natural for these guys to relax a little bit the following days after... and you can't have that as a coach.

I also don't like how he makes a bigger deal out of certain games. I mean it's obvious during New England week, for example, he's talking up the importance of the game and the motivation tactics he takes to get his guys up for such a big game.. but that game is meaningless is you don't follow it up. A game vs. 1st place New England is no different than a game vs. last place Buffalo. They still count in the standings the very same. Let the fans have their fun with "big games" you are the coach - THEY ARE ALL BIG GAMES

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

As I posted in another thread – you cannot judge Rex’s ability as a coach unless or until you give him a half decent QB to work with – since he has been here he has never had anything but a bottom 5 QB to work with – show me any coach that would have had more success than Rex has had whilst trying to operate with a turnover machine behind centre – it just is not possible for anyone.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I totally agree. It is painfully obvious that Rex feels the high of wins, particularly against quality opponents, but then fails to use that as a basis for winning the next game. It is not merely a stat that the Jets have such an awful record following wins the last two seasons. Let's put it this way - the accolades and chest beating after those wins may make many fans, and Rex, feel good. But you can't demonstrate a connection to subsequent success, because there is none.

Whatever other approaches of his work or don't work, I am near convinced that his chest beating after big wins is counterproductive.

13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Outstanding post. Excellent observation. This is my biggest hangup with Rex. The "he took us to the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row" is losing a lot of its steam. Rex's inability to maintain that even keel you referenced is his achilles heel.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Basically we're playing like a team that has lots of youth and rookies in key positions, which explains a large portion of the inconsistency. With that much youth, ups & downs will happen. I don't think the W-L .500 pattern has anything to do with Rex's coaching. It's definitely about young raw talent and their development.

15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Jets, Jets

This is a young team. Winning on the road is always the last thing to conquer. It is going to take time particularly with a new QB. There is still evaluation to be done. Leave that to Idzik and his people. They seem to know what they are doing. Enjoy the games but expect the ups and downs. There is plenty of time to making coaching and personnel decisions after the season.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We certainly are a young team, but its not like we have 53 rookies on the roster either. Hard to say what if anything Rex could have done differently this season but remember, if indeed he's coaching for an extension, yesterday's performance, just like the stinker the team laid in Cincinnati didn't do him any favors. This team doesn't play well on the road nor does it play well after big wins. If Rex feels his body of work so far this season makes him deserving of a mulityear extension, he might want to rethink that.

Idzik is quite right in waiting for the end of the season. While earlier, I would have said the chances of another implosion were pretty remote, I'm not so sure now given that every game on our schedule, even the Raider and Browns' games, will be a death match. Maybe not a 2011 style implosion, but a losing streak certainly is in the cards if the Qb and game planning doesn't improve PDQ.

#96 Cman68, Nov 18, 2013
  17. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

That's an interesting point about Rex's motivational skills. It reminds me of what Parcells used to say - that he was tougher on his team after a WIN than he was after a loss. That was how he kept them on an even keel. Maybe Ryan should take a lesson from that.