Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, especially with the difference between data-driven (analytics) guys and those who "feel" the game - I have the same problem with baseball, the Yankees specifically, it drives me crazy.

Anyway I don't think they should fire Saleh at this point. Let's see what happens with an experienced OC, and hopefully much better QC and OLC. If they don't make the playoffs - for whatever reason - this season, then it's time to think about replacing the CS at least, and maybe JD depending on how he does this off season with adding talent and filling holes.

#361 ColoradoContrails, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    papapump, burf and Since1969 like this.
  2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The thing the data guys don't get, is that it's not Madden.
    These are live players, playing in real-time, under lots of pressure, in front of 10s of thousands of fans... not to mention millions of viewers/listeners.
    They'll do great when the NFL allows robots to compete, but until then, to win consistently, they'll need to hone some feel for the game.
    As for JD, I know I'm in a minority of fans, but I'd like to see him stick to his plan, & not over-commit resources that could be used to fill holes, in the hope of satisfying the fans & media, who are looking for instant gratification.
    Zach hasn't worked out, so far, which is a huge setback... but there's no reason to change the course of the rebuild, when only adjustments need to be made.
    Maybe this isn't the year to do the QB splash... maybe it would be better to go with a cheaper option this year, & bring in more talent... THEN next year, start going for it.
    That's what I'm hoping for, and realize I'm in a minority.
    Of course, this is all based on Zach still being on the roster, which to me means they're gonna give him one last opportunity, to prove himself an NFL QB. (And I don't mean starting him).
    But bringing in a competent vet QB, & Zach being coached by a new, experienced QB guy.
    We should have an idea where the offense is heading this week, as I suspect Hackett will have his intro presser sometime this week.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

From my POV, things started going downhill when Tom Landry began calling almost every play for Roger Staubach. There may have been other coaches doing that back then, but he was the only one known openly for it AFAIK. Before then, QB's called their own plays. I really wish the NFL instituted a rule change to prohibit coaches from being directly involved in the play on the field, like in soccer. You can talk to players on the sidelines and of course coach them during the week, but when the game starts, it's up to the players to play and figure things out. Yeah, I know, I'm really old. But I still think they should return to letting the players play. Since then it's just gotten more and more of coaches taking over, like they're playing a video game, and frankly I don't think they'll be satisfied until they can control every little movement by every player on the field.

And it's not like they're infallible or never make bad calls. I'd much rather have the game called by a player on the field in the middle of the flow. Yes, he'll make mistakes, but so what? If mistakes will be made anyway. I'd rather they be made by a guy with his finger on the pulse of things. Oh well, wishful thinking.

burf likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know the answer to this but how many plays were in the playbook back in the mid 70's compared to the number that are in it in today's game? I can only imagine how hard it would be have the entire playbook committed to memory.

5. ColoradoContrails

Well that's another point, the complexity of the play books today. I could be completely off base and simply ignorant, but why do the plays have to be so complicated, as opposed to having fewer plays but making sure the players can execute the plays they have to perfection? I know it was a completely different era, but Lombardi famously used to run "Student body right; Student body left" and dare teams to stop them and they couldn't. He followed that formula to a number of championships including 2 SBs. I'm not suggesting that things could be simplified that much, but I suspect they could be simplified and perfected and get better results. I mean did the Chiefs really need to pull a "ring around the rosy" play last night, and what did it get them? Nada.

Rather than do a lot of things half assed, do a few things perfectly.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because no matter how perfect you can do them, if the D knows whats coming, they can stop it in the modern NFL. too much access to film and stats and too much study goes into each game plan. so you need to have a wide array of options

Ralebird likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As long as the colleges continue to move towards Air-Raid and Spread offenses the NFL is going to have to continue to adjust towards them.

Neither of the starting QB's last night would have gotten a second look in the draft as little as 30 years ago. That's because Air Raid QB's were a novelty even at the college level. Now they're the average non-Power conference QB and some of the teams in the Power conferences are now moving that direction.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s not as complicated as you think. The complicated part of the game comes from the entire offense moving in sync. Quarterbacks and receivers reading the same coverage and being on the same page. Same thing with the offensive line.

If a player is sagging off in cover 3 with outside leverage and the strong side linebacker to that side is blitzing, the quarterback and receiver need to agree in a matter of five seconds or less that he needs to run a quick slant.

9. ColoradoContrails

I hear you, and agree up to a point, but first of all, despite all the complexity, the defense always has an advantage over the offense because all they have to do is make the offense not be able to fully execute their play to have a good chance of stopping it. Making the play book more and more complex leads to more confusion and chance for mistakes being made.

And was anyone who was watching the SB, let alone the Eagles D, surprised how often the Chiefs targeted Kelce, and yet they couldn't stop it.

And one other thing that I meant to include in my answer to Bickety is that if the QB is calling the plays, he ahs his finger on the pulse of the flow of the game, including getting immediate first hand feedback from the players on the field and can make quicker adjustments. Moreover, he can make tweaks to existing plays - IOW, make up new plays - on the fly based on what the defense is doing.

Frankly I think much of the complexity is simply done to allow coaches to micro manage things like a video game.

10. GasedAndConfused

I actually see things the opposite. the offense has the advantages. all it needs is 1 mistake or bad call on defense for the offense to get a long TD where the offense messing up, worse case is a sack. plus all the rules are tailored to offense. the NFL wants scoring because it brings in more ratings and makes QBs more marketable. The D can stop 66% of the plays and still lose the drive where the O can have 1 good play and win the drive. The idea of complexity on offense is to get easy chunk plays which is much easier way to score then sustaining drives without human error.

11. ColoradoContrails

I see it more in the way @Jonathan_Vilma explained it: Much of the complexity in offenses is due to all the pieces having to be more closely coordinated, especially as regards being on the same page with what the QB is going to do. While there is coordination required on defense it's not as dependent on one player and the decisions he makes. Put it in another way, a CB can be assigned a basic role and coverage, but if he sees something he's free to act on his own and try to make a play. A WR, TE, or RB doesn't get to ad lib like that (as a general rule - when plays break down there can some ad libbing of course), if they do it can often lead to an INT. And you forgot to mention that in your "worst case" - I'd also include fumbles because a R decides to do his own thing rather than being where he's supposed to be when the QB expects to hand it off.

I guess I'd summarize my POV as: It's easier to break something (Defense) than to put it together (Offense).

12. GasedAndConfused

it's a valid point for sure. nobody on the defense mentally has more responsibility on them then the QB however and as we seen last year with awful safties, that 1 blown assignment by a safety over and over destroyed our defense. hell we lost the bucks game because riley blew an assignment

13. GasedAndConfused

on the flip side too. even though the "ring around the rosy" play didn't work for KC, they got 2 TDs on the same play to 2 different players and the CB both times fell for it. even the philly special with the eagles and foles and when we ran it with zach all were difference making TDs in wins. tricking the D is the easiest way to score. just trying to line up and win often doesn't work especially in the playoffs when teams are much closer in talent level

14. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting read that expresses Saleh's stubborness, as an obstacle to getting a primo QB.
    It's one of my red flags on Saleh (&MLF), I've mentioned a bunch of times.
    I've also heard from a few people with media ties, that some players don't want to come to the Jets, because of Saleh. The trade requests by young players, & various other things, give them pause.
    As an aside, on the coaching front, while there's tons of criticism of the new hires, & the organization as a whole, I don't see much pointed at Saleh.
    Since the season ended, I've really looked at the team, & specifically what needs to be fixed, to take the next step forward.
    I see the talent, the holes, etc.
    Then I see a HC that hasn't shown much flexibility, football instincts, or creative problem-solving.
    Everything is pre-ordained... it has to be this way, no other way.
    My fears of the talent window the team is in, isn't the QB, it's starting again next season with a new HC.

The article from jetsxfactor ----> https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/02/14/one-reason-derek-carr-avoid-ny-jets/

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.