Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Over 3 or 4 fuckin years Douglas got a sprinkling of good players..but in all honesty failed in crucial (FIREABLE ) areas>>>QB the bust and no OL

AND FTMR his leader pick HC is another POOR CHOICE.esp when Daibol, Peterson all available ..Saleh goes from c minus to F for me

The GM ??? I DONT TRUST HIM

The rest of you guys are just blind or drunk

2. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

You really need to learn how to spell Daboll. It's not Dabole or Daibol

3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I'm not hurt, nor emotional. I'm a fan that's been following the Jets for 50+ years.
    I'd like to see them build a sustained winner.
    I don't see that happening with this CS, & would prefer to cut it now, rather than waiting til next year, like many would like to do.
    Lots of people liked the choice of Saleh, I didn't. And his first move as a first-time HC, was to hire his inexperienced friends, rather than surround himself with experienced coaches to help him learn his profession. That was a big red-flag for me. And after Greg Knapp's accident, he chose not to replace him, and instead left development of their prized #2 pick, to a waterboy (Calabrese).
    Despite all that, I've tried to give him every possible benefit of the doubt, but with the addition of some special talent, I still see no adjustments; I saw a crazy, disruptive shuffling of QBs that seemingly changed week-to-week; I see playcalling that has no imagination; I see him allowing players to wear costumes to important games; I see young, talented players asking to be traded; I see him allow his players to wear T-shirts exclaiming their love for one QB, thereby dividing the team... I can go on, but will leave it at they lost the last 6 games of the season... he's lost the team. The Jags & Seahawks games, very important games which could've led to the playoffs, in both games the team didn't show up to play.
    So, to me, that 7-4 start was the players winning despite the CS. Once opponents understood what the Jets were doing, the CS never responded, & just kept doing the same things over & over. Hence, the collapse.
    Every team loses important players, that's where good coaches earn their salary, & limited coaches earn their excuses.
    As for the D, it's not crazy to criticize, as there's a lot to criticize. They've improved, & they're very good at forcing FGs vs TDs. But despite stats, they're not an elite or playoff-worthy D yet. They've never been good recovering fumbles, & they haven't forced many turnovers in the 2nd-half of the season... to name two things.
    That said, my post you responded to, I only wrote because you decided to demean those that disagree with you. You wanna state your opinion, your disagreements, cool. But I get tired with all the personal shat.
    It's not needed.

4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Cimini pointed out that it's the Jets first six game losing streak to end a season since Kotite. So at least Saleh can be mentioned in the same breath as him going forward.

5. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I meant on the defensive side. Our defense doesn't create enough turnovers for a unit that was considered elite. Our offense stinks I know, but we did not make enough impactful plays on defense.

I meant on the defensive side. Our defense doesn't create enough turnovers. I can't recall a big game changing turnover this defense has had since Buffalo in November. I honestly forgot to put that in my original after the loss today. We have talent but we sorely like that impactful game changing play on the defensive unit.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I just think you are wrong.

.. and you're biased.

You'll give all the blame to the coaching staff for the late season collapse.

Yet, you won't give them credit for the start of the season and the success that came with It.

Improvement is the name of the game. We've seen that.

We achieved just about every expectation that was there for the year, we almost severely over achieved on top of It all.

See.

I seen a CS that was doing exceptionally well when we had enough pieces to actually look like a legit football team. I also seen a CS that struggled when we lost those key pieces of this football team.

Even In struggle, we were only non competitive In two games. We had a legit chance In all the rest. Against some really good teams too.

So, cut bait, blah, blah, blah...

I'm glad we are going to see this CS for year 3. If I'm wrong, then I'll admit It. I don't think I will be though.

Also, I haven't demeaned anyone. I called out a poster for being dumb because they were insulting me all day and I don't have time for that.

So, please, If you don't know the full story, maybe relax? Just a suggestion though.

#326 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  7. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Saleh at the press conference:
    "When you're rolling on all cylinders and your 7-4, you're pretty healthy, and one thing leads to another and then you lose six in a row."

Yeah. I hate when that happens.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Saleh's clearly an elite defensive mind and it showed in the team's marked improvement on that side of the ball this year.

Get any type of above average QB play (Carr, Jimmy G, Minshew), a better OC, upgrade the team in the draft and they're a playoff team next year.

9. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

"Elite" still not sure about that.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

His side of the ball? The guy is head coach, he owns the whole ball of wax, every side of it; he gets graded on the whole thing.

burf, ColoradoContrails, cval and 2 others like this.
  11. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

All is well now I feel much better Robert Saleh has apoligized it makes me feel so much better going into next year that he will be the head coach

“You know, I say sorry to everybody . . . all the players, all the coaches, all the fans, because I know it’s been a long, long ride of not being in the playoffs and I know it was right in our fingertips and we’re not going,” Saleh said, via Rich Cimini of ESPN.com.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Looks like Saleh and at least most of his staff will be back for the 2023 season. There is one major positive to this happening: The urgency will be 100%. It's do or die for this staff. Possibly Joe Douglas too this off-season.

If everyone was fired, 2023 would be another restart. Instead, this should be an All-In situation with the staff. Playoffs or Bust. Jets fans have not see that in awhile.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why do you say Saleh and most of his staff will be back? Was there an announcement to this effect?

14. The Dark Knight

He had his press conference today. Haven't heard any news saying otherwise. Looks like business as usual at One Jets Drive.

15. ColoradoContrails

By "he", do you mean Woody, or Saleh, or Douglas?

16. The Dark Knight

Saleh. If he was fired or going to be fired, I doubt that would have happened.

17. ColoradoContrails

Hard to say. Woody may be considering his options. The Season end presser by the HC is a formality, and most of us agree that Woody wasn't likely to fire Saleh, but again that's not off the table until Woody says it is. In the meantime I'll hope for greater change.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here is the press conference. He didn't really say if he is replacing OC or not. He did say he will replace Knapp position, something I was calling for earlier. So, either way we will have a veteran voice in the room. Let's hope he can get someone good, like Kubiak, that could make a huge positive difference for the team regardless of whether MILF stays or not.

19. burf

burf Well-Known Member

From everything I've seen & heard today, it looks like everyone will be back, although when Saleh was asked point-blank, if MLF was returning, he said he hasn't made that decision yet.
    On the positive side, Saleh did say he's likely to fill George Knapp's opening. He said he didn't fill it, because he wanted things to settle down after Knapp's death. Kinda weird, but at least it sounds like he's gonna bring some experience to the O-CS.
    Another thing that was positive to me, was Zach's presser. The kid has definitely matured, & seems to have responded well emotionally to his situation. Whether he'll translate it onto the field, we'll see, but whereas I used to be one-step below a Zach-hater, I'm growing to like him, & hoping he's able to get his shat together, with the help of some experienced mentoring. That would be the best outcome for him, the organization, & the fans.
    Of course, Zach sucks, has ADD, is small, he sucks, he shouldn't have been drafted, the team hates him, he sucks, & he sucks.

bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Something he said today, I think it was on Kay's show, leads me to think Kubiak may be the guy.
    I think he mentioned him in another context. I know he has a relationship with him.