Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I thought the decision to bench Zach was the right one. Easy to speculate and say if X plays during game X, the result changes, but we don't really know.

One thing the Patriots are good at is ruining Jets QBs and their confidence,

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I do see Saleh's faults, but on balance I don't think he's done that badly to warrant his firing, unless someone provably better can be brought in, i.e. Payton, Harbaugh, or my latest crazy idea, Bruce Arians (I posted this in another thread, but in short: Hire Arians as OC and sign Brady for 1-2 years to give Arians time to fix Zach. If Arians wants to be HC, give him the job and offer Saleh the DC job with the promise he succeeds Arians).

Don't forget how shitty this team was when Saleh came on board. He's been much better than Bowles, Rex, Gase, or anyone else since Parcells IMO. That said, the failure to ensure that Zach was developed, either by insisting they get a vet so that Zach could sit for a year or so, or by hiring an OC/QBC that could develop him, is a big failure.

IIRC, Douglas has 2 more years on his contract. I'd be surprised if Woody fires him, especially since he has certainly upgraded the talent on the team from the suckhole it was when he got here. Again, he's made mistakes - no FQB yet, OL still not fixed - that are big enough to justify letting him go, again only if someone provably better can be brought in. And that's really hard to do, because successful GMs usually never leave their current team, so you're left with rolling the dice on an untested guy.

Bottom line: Unless they can bring in someone provably better, I don't think it's worth chucking the game plan altogether at this point. Check back with me next year.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Arians and Brady dont get along. Brady is the reason he's not coaching in Tampa, he's not gonna come here and bring Brady with him

Jets79 likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Here’s where the Jets problem started: the GM hired this HC (didn’t wait for Daibol or grab Detroits HC )
    Then ..like you said we all got fooled into ZW
    lol
    Best part of your Post was "unless someone provably better can be brought in"..thats the ideal . I am ok with exp Coach like B Arians to replace Saleh call the plays too and maybe keeping JD

The other possibility is S Payton running the entire show

Everything else how Saleh is "much better " than other Coaches I totally disagree ..especially after overseeing a 7 game collapse

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

This HC just announced again that come, "hell or high water," he is sticking with ZW. This guy is either is the second comming of Karnak and can visualize ZW become a comptent NFL QB or he is towing the company line... either way, he needs to STFU, get the team ready to play, if that is possible, and stop the mindless dribble about ZW. I have had enough of his BS...

NYJetsO12, Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  6. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

F

For "Fuck" you Saleh.

NYCriminal and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Despite having given up on Wilson two games ago you continue to believe he is fixable. What is the indicator that Wilson will change for the better by doubling his exposure here?What gives you the idea that Arians is some kind of alchemist who can turn dirt into gold?

It's painfully obvious that Wilson was not ready to play in the NFL when he was drafted and, barring a major revelation, he never will be. The question is why were so many fans here so anxious to put such an unproven player on the field so soon? And, of course, what's the best way to get a QB who is ready into the lineup going forward.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You always wash the car before you post it for sale on craigslist.

BrowningNagle, stinkyB and Jets79 like this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Can't be anything but an F. I believe Douglas has gotten enough talent on this team to win. The coaching staff has failed them. Somebody has to go and I believe it's between Saleh and LeFleur. Because if Saleh doesn't address his coaching staff then they both need to go. The highest priority right now is getting an offensive coordinator that is innovative and can get this offense rolling early and often during games. Look for an OC from Philly, Buffalo and Dallas.

NYCriminal likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

I wasn't aware of that. I'd still bring Arians in.

boozer32 and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Benching Wilson was not the only QB decision made this season and not what I was thinking about but even the timing of that decision is open to debate.

12. Tamba_Trio

Tamba_Trio Active Member

Has a coach ever recovered from such a horrific ending to the season? I remember the Browns collapsing from 7-4 to 7-9, and they followed it up with a mighty 3-13 the next year.

I also worry all the QB talk is overrated and that it will be used as a smokescreen to excuse some shoddy coaching. Yes, our QB is garbage. But we've got no run game at all. None, zilch. We're actually worse at running than we are passing. There's about 3 QBs ever who can cope without a run game. Unless it gets sorted, it's not going to matter who we get in at centre.

Anyway, yeah, Salah. I gave him a D. Until he gets a winning season he doesn't deserve any higher. We've had 11 wins in 2 years and we're lucky it's been that many.

13. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Am I overreacting or are Saleh's comments to the media yesterday really bad? Your would-be FQB whom you drafted No. 2 is struggling, and you want him to completely unplug from football?
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...on-needs-to-get-away-from-the-game-for-a-bit/

If you read Saleh's comments one way, it sounds like he's coddling Wilson. That plays into the narrative that Saleh has lost the team because he's more interested in being the players' friend than their coach.

If you read it another way, it sounds like Wilson cracked and had a nervous breakdown under the pressure of playing in the NFL. That hardly bodes well for Wilson's future.

Last year, the Giants were set to bring Joe Judge back for another year until he started saying weird shit to the media towards the end of the season. I wonder if Saleh is starting to go down the same path,

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. Jets OG fan

Of course it's open to debate, I personally thought it was the right move considering 1. How inept he was against the Patriots and 2. failing to take accountability for his bad play.

That was the biggest decision with QB of the season, the rest was based on either health, or deciding who the #2 and #3 were. Wilson seemed broken, so making him inactive also seemed like the right move to me, but again, this is just opinion.

I still think the biggest issue with the team is Mike LaFleur's play calling, but bad QB play and poor oline protection was definitely a factor.

Saleh had some questionable clock management decisions, but I thought overall he helped improve the team. Unless, of course, he's the one coming up with the offensive game plans, but I highly doubt that.

#254 Jets OG fan, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  15. Jets OG fan

He's the #2 overall pick. It doesn't make sense to ditch him after just 22 games played. I get that fans are down on him right now, but being angry at a head coach for defending his players is a bit silly. What do you expect him to say? "Zach Wilson sucks, and hopefully we can trade him for pennies on the dollar this off season!"

16. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

At this point I’m sure we can find a better replacement and waiting a year does nothing. Clean house and bring an exp HC who knows how to assemble a good team of assistants behind him

NYCriminal likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That was the worst comment Saleh has made yet about a player and he has made some dumb ones. It would be one thing if the season was over maybe, - "hey spend some time away from football" Ok I kinda get that. kinda

But the season is not over. He's got injured guys that need to play sunday, in Miami of all places, and he's telling his QB to go to the beach and unwind

NYCriminal and Nyjets4eva like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LOL ..Woodys ready to can him

So he is making up reasons to stay as HC..pathetic

If I am the Jets owner I'm thinking my GM blew it on hiring another meh HC..Plus the HC and OC could do nothing with the GM loser pick /mistake getting Zach at #2..(a total BUST )

Some heads should roll or we just suffer through another year of ineptitude

The smart thing to do would be to get a MUCH better decision maker ..cause Douglas has proven he is a mess

#258 NYJetsO12, Jan 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    NYCriminal likes this.
  19. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure which thread I should post this, but since Saleh oversees the CS...
    I've been screaming about this for months, & most people look past it... with the usual Zach sucks, etc.
    The Jets invested their #2 on the talented, but very raw 21-yr-old Zach. Greg Knapp unfortunately died, & they decided Rob Calabrese was their guy to lead Zach to the promised land.
    I saw this after watching MLF's presser today, & thought this guy hit the nail into orbit.
    Give it a watch, his reactions are kinda humorous... about 7mins...

20. ColoradoContrails

Whose decision was it to hire Calabrese as the QB Coach? I agree that this was perhaps the biggest mistake the Jets made with the Zach Wilson "problem". How could they have possibly thought that a guy with almost no NFL experience - and none as an NFL QB Coach before coming here - would be able to properly help Zach develop into an NFL QB? It's mindboggling! It's borders on a fireable offence, and if it was LaFleur who was behind it, I could easily see him being let go because of it.

burf likes this.