Year End Grade: Mike LeFleur - OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for MLF

1. A+ to A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B+ to B-

6.4%
  3. C+ to C-

28.2%
  4. D or below

65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

This off-season gonna be very very interesting to see what we do all around. Should be exciting and I would be highly disappointed if we go into next season w him as the OC

2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I think more than anything, it shows the inadequacies of ownership. While they inherited their ownership of the family business, they don't have the common sense to actually run a successful business of their own. Sure, the Jets are successful in making profit from fans, etc, but they don't seem to get that winning is key. And generally, experience is a major key in winning. So, we keep getting the Herms, Itziks, Mangeniuses & the current crew... ad nauseum.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

By the way, there is nothing wrong with Mike LaFleur admitting it would have been better for Zach to sit last year. It is true. They made a mistake. I respect him for at least admitting it.

My favorite Jets QB of my lifetime Chad Pennington was drafted in 2000. He sat behind Vinny Testaverde in 2000 and 2001. He came in to play in 2002 and lit the league and team on fire. The Jets went with a different path for Zach and it did not work. The Jaguars did the same thing with Trevor Lawrence and things look like they have clicked with him. You just never know.

Borat, SOJAZ, cval and 1 other person like this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The question is: did the Jaguars have an experienced coach or coaches helping Lawrence?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

His first season they didn't; this season they did. You can see the difference.

Borat, The Dark Knight, Br4d and 3 others like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Perhaps the problem is better examined by realizing that it took two full seasons to come to the point of admitting they did not prepare Wilson for the job they gave him. Now, both Saleh and LaFleur have thrown out the "instant" gratification excuse some unknown individuals are looking for when it has been their decision to look or hope for the "instant" success. They need to own it completely, not blame it on me, you and the media.

Br4d and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i would like to see MLF with a QB like Carr or Jimmy G. To me the Offense works, half the nfl uses this system. He is scheming guys open and the run game worked when Breece was healthy with the OLine. Last year everyone hated ulbrick and this year he had players and was fine.

8. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

If I could give lower than an F, I would. For all of those pointing to Zach Wilson as the SOLE cause of the Jets offensive woes, I present the following as evidence:

(Courtesy of www.pro-football-reference.com)

2022 New York Jets Touchdown Pass Leaders after 16 Games

Zach Wilson - 6
    Joe Flacco - 5
    Mike White - 3
    Braxton Berrios - 1

Total - 15

That is PUH-THETIC.

LaFleur makes me want to change my Member ID Name.

#168 HackettSuxTNG, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    cval and Nyjets4eva like this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Brian Costello here. Ultimately, I wouldn't make any changes. He gets into LaFleur too. Could have posted this in any thread, but LaFleur is the most controversial
    https://nypost.com/2023/01/05/woody...medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Woody Johnson shouldn’t fire Joe Douglas or Robert Saleh
    By Brian Costello
    January 5, 2023 10:14pm

Don’t do it, Woody.

Resist the urge to channel your inner George Steinbrenner and start firing people. Instead, imitate another George that used to work for the Yankees — George Costanza and do the opposite of what your instincts tell you to do.

By all accounts, Jets owner Woody Johnson is fuming with how this season has ended. Five straight losses will do that.

Johnson should be upset and that anger might only grow Sunday if the Jets lose to the Dolphins and end the year on a six-game skid. But when Johnson evaluates the 2022 Jets season and his front office and coaching staff, he needs to remove the emotion and ask himself: Is this team better than it was two years ago when Robert Saleh was hired? Is this team better than one year ago?

The answer to both of those questions is a resounding “Yes” and Johnson needs to see that.

General manager Joe Douglas and coach Robert Saleh have the Jets heading in the right direction. They have built a top defense. They have two young offensive skill players to build around in Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall. They have a giant hole at quarterback that Douglas has to answer for, but it should not mean he gets a pink slip.

Saleh has shown leadership throughout his two years here. He deftly handled the Elijah Moore trade demand this season and has reenergized the franchise. When Johnson sits him down for the season analysis, Saleh needs to explain how his team faded so badly down the stretch.

Then, there is offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur. He seems to be the man the bull’s-eye has landed on now. The Jets have scored just four touchdowns in five games and fans are calling for his head. On Thursday, LaFleur took the blame, repeating that the offensive problems start with him.

When asked why he is the right man for the job, LaFleur said: “I’m going to respectfully not answer that question. My words don’t matter there. I really mean that. I’m going to give everything I’ve got for these players and this organization. That’s all you can do.”

With the way the offense has performed, I understand the argument to get rid of LaFleur, but I don’t agree with it. LaFleur is not the main problem with this offense. He has gotten poor quarterback play for nearly the entire two years he has been here. When you watch the game film, receivers are open but Jets quarterbacks simply can’t hit them. When the quarterbacks have played well, LaFleur’s offense has moved the ball and scored points. It just has not happened frequently enough.

It is not just a quarterback issue. LaFleur’s offense also was dealt a massive blow in October when Hall and offensive lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker were lost to season-ending injuries on back-to-back offensive plays in Denver. The Jets had found an offensive identity through their running game and that disappeared when they lost two of their best players.

There are certainly things LaFleur needs to improve on — sometimes he gets too pass happy, his red-zone play-calling and questionable deployment of his wide receivers early in the season — but remember he is in his second year as an offensive coordinator. Just like a young player, you have to give him time to grow. Give him a third season with a good quarterback and see what happens. If you want to add a veteran coach to the staff to help him, go for it.

The other element of this is: who do you think is coming here to replace LaFleur? Any coach with options is not coming to the Jets. Saleh is going to be entering a make-or-break year. The Jets don’t have a quarterback and won’t have one in January when someone needs to be hired. You think Frank Reich is signing up for that to rebuild his reputation?

It’s also time for the Jets to embrace stability for a change. The Jets have changed offensive coordinators more frequently then Spinal Tap replaced drummers. I’m still waiting for one to spontaneously combust. Since 2011, the Jets have had eight offensive coordinators. No one hired since then has lasted more than two years in the job.

The Jets decided to go young in 2021 and try to grow that way. They need to stick with that plan. Do you think learning a new offense is going to help young players?

The Jets need to fix the quarterback position this offseason and improve the offensive line. That needs to be where Johnson’s focus is right now, not which coach he should fire.

What do you think? Post a comment.
    Woody, you may get the urge to send people packing on Monday.

Don’t do it.

10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i agree with everything but please just give sean payton a call. A proven winner who give this team instant creditability regardless of the QB.

cval likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

I thought the same thing when I heard Saleh say that. I'm like so what are you saying? You threw him out there to lose and fail and you are good with it? Doesn't make sense. It lacks logic and why I soured on Saleh pretty quickly. I don't think he knows what he is doing or what he is even saying half the time. He is truly ALL GAS NO BRAKE. Meaning, that is his plan each Sunday. What about the X's and O's coach? Nah. ALL GAS NO BRAKE is all we need. What about halftime adjustments? ALL GAS NO BRAKE!

Ralebird likes this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

...and yet you don't see the irony of the situation In which you literally listed 3 different QB's. How many teams go through this type of QB carousel? This Is the second year In a row where we've been on that QB carousel for the season.

..and with all the QB's we used. We are dead last In the league In completion percentage.

There Is a lot of things I could point to, I don't give enough shits at this point to Invest more energy Into It though.

The guy Is going to be a good OC, he hasn't been perfect, but there Is so much to like If you actually look beyond these type of arguments. Which are obvious on the why and I'm not blaming the OC for It.

..but, hey, maybe you are right.

Borat and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

We literally flipped the defense from dead last to top 5 In a years time. The offense improved statistically since last year as well. Plenty of plays were missed this year. A fucking LOT, actually. It Is what It Is. I think there has been plenty of X's and O's instilled In this team and I've seen a huge turn around from year 1 to year 2. He had ONE bad game where clock management was atrocious. The team was competitive all year, despite all the obvious variables that played against us this year. This shit Is wild to me.

I just don't get all of you I guess. I don't know.

MoWilkBeast and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

Yeah, you don't, or your standard is too low. I am sick of losing and failing and seeing incompetence at the top with our Head Coaches. Today Saleh mentioned Mike White hurt his ribs before halftime in Seattle. THEN PUT FLACCO IN. This was a do or die playoff game. The team could barely get a first down. He comes off as a moron. Not benching Zach against the Patriots too. The goal is to win. If something is not working, adjust. They don't know how. It's odd to me you can't see that.

The team improved this year, but it is the NFL. They should. They have been terrible the last 5 years. I credit Joe Douglas with getting the coaches better players to work with too. The roster is solid.

I don't see how a fan sits back and watches his team lose 6 straight games to end a season and thinks they are headed in the right direction. Especially the last 3 Do or Die Games. They exposed Saleh as a bad coach, in my opinion. At best you have hope, which I have had for 30+ years, but I lost it watching that Lions ending and the Jaguars game. Not sure how anyone could logically trust this staff right now. Not sure how you can have hope in them either.

By the way, you are a great poster @IIMeanDeanII, that is why I don't mind having this discussion with you.

Ralebird, SOJAZ, burf and 2 others like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think we really want George Costanza running the Jets.

16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

and give up a first-round pick for him? no thanks

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

LeFleur one day just might become a Offensive Savant but that day is not today. He's still acting as if he's just the passing game coordinator. He could use some more seasoning under a true OC like a Frank Reich so he can learn the nuances of game planning and situational play calling. Two things he's not very good at presently. Overall there wasn't and still isn't enough experience on this CS to compete against more accomplished CS's in the league. One day maybe but like I said, that day is not today. Sadly, its not tomorrow or most likely not next year either.

So either get used to these types of seasons, or tune in around '24-25 or '25-26. Maybe the light bulb would have come on by then..

#177 Cman68, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  18. IIMeanDeanII

It's year two.

What Is your expectations right now?

because they are way too high right now, Sir. IMO

I don't think he Is a moron at all. I actually see a plan, I actually see growth, improvement, etc..

I've seen moron's. This guy Is far from that.

I did see a lot of adjustments this year actually but when you are limited on options after injuries and terrible play at important positions, what do you do? He was handcuffed In a lot of ways that just highlight things that need to be improved on next year.

Firing everyone Is just a knee jerk reaction that will leave you more miserable In the end.

It's EASY to see we are heading In the right direction. If you just step away from the ledge you are currently standing on. Maybe you could too?

The roster Is significantly improved. Key word. Improved. We are not a good roster yet, especially because we have not solidified the QB position. Which was a miss, a set back, but big strides were made In other important aspects of this team as well despite that. QB will be a major priority this offseason. The defense has significantly improved as well, but they have to get better as well, especially from a depth perspective because this defense wore down at the end carrying this team as long as they did throughout the year. I have watched almost every game more than once, sometimes more than twice. I see this offensive scheme and how good It will be with better consistency and execution from the players. I'm telling ya, this offense has a ton of potential, It's insane how many missed opportunities were there this year. If you go and watch these games, especially on offense, It's insane how much shit was missed this year.

If they do this right, we will be a playoff team next year.

Everyone thought the same things about Ulbrich last year as well, then the defense came out dominating everyone, every week. Don't hear many people wanting to fire him right now...

Continuity Is a good thing If you got the right people In place. I think we do. I think It would be a massive mistake to fuck with that right now, we weren't SB bound this year. Accept It.

You have to accept all the variables that lead to things as well. The players fucked up A LOT this year. To blame It all on coaching Is dumb. Very dumb.

I think you are very wrong on your thinking and I'll tell you, like I tell everyone that I think Is dead wrong.

We shall see...

They made a mistake, they've made mistakes..

but there has been significant improvement along the way. Which Is what you want, If we were going backwards for no reason, that would be different.

Next year. It's a make or break year. Being this harsh on judgement right now though, Is just silly to me. You were the only one I think that genuinely thought we were even going to make the playoffs this year. The rest of us, didn't think we would even sniff the playoffs this year.

I won't preach patience to anyone but I do think you are wrong on this.

Borat, NY Jets68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'd rather they called Frank Reich to come in and be the adult on the staff.

20. The Dark Knight

Great response. And I did watch a lot of tape a couple weeks ago and saw many opportunities missed on offense. I agree with that. I like the Jets roster and where it is headed, that is why I am concerned the coaching staff might not be the right guys to coach them.

I think someone said the root of all suffering is expectation. Or something like that. So I definitely did bring some of this anger and disappointment on myself. Losing 6 straight to end a season is still unacceptable though.

This was also supposed to be the year that Zach took the next step, and instead it was the opposite. Now you can blame LaFleur, Saleh or Wilson himself, but I think it is likely a mix of the 3, which is very frustrating.

The best thing for me is to lower my expectations going into 2023, but that is unfortunate, because I want to win and eventually win a Super Bowl. I don't think this staff will do that, but I hope I am wrong!

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.