Year End Grade: Mike LeFleur - OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for MLF

1. A+ to A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B+ to B-

6.4%
  3. C+ to C-

28.2%
  4. D or below

65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

See, I think you should have those high expectations going Into year 3. We can't keep missing the playoffs every year either. I want to win, I want this team to be winners year IN and year Out. We just aint there yet.

This offseason Is a very big offseason for these guys. They have a solid foundation, so they aren't In terrible shape here, but they got to get this right. That's my opinion though.

They get one more year. If we don't make the playoffs next year, yeah, we should be having a conversation about If these guys should be here. I just don't think we are there yet and the benefit of the doubt should be given considering the good that Is there. The improvement that Is there.

Just my two cents on It. I get your frustration, which Is why I'm not preaching patience to anyone. I get It. I just hope to see less knee jerk reactions and more long term foresight as a fan. That's all.

Borat and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can understand that, for sure. I said it in other threads, maybe this one too, but it not about the record. Not even about losing 5/6 straight games either. It is how. The team blew it in Minnesota. I feel they should have won that game. Buffalo is tough, so no problem there, although it was winnable without mistakes. The Lions game was bad, and the defense blew it at the end. The Jaguars and Seahawks games were flat out embarrassing.

That is where the frustration came from. Not simply going (7-10), which is not great, and not terrible.

I know the value of Alijah Vera-Tucker and Breece Hall too. They were huge for this Jets offense. Zach Wilson losing them at the time he did really hurt him and the offense overall. The tackle position was brutal too with Brown playing with 1 shoulder and Fant playing with 1 knee. It was not ideal.

The offense struggling hurts the defense, as it has to play mistake-free to win games, and they were not able to down the stretch.

All of that is understood, but at the end of the day, I would have loved to see them find ways to win or at least compete. Instead the team did not even show up when it mattered the most.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It was a bit of an eye opener when both Brown and Fant were ruled out for this Sunday. It's not like they just got hurt. They were hurt and played like shit the entire year and these were the best tackles we had. White it appears was hurt too in the last game - to the point he is also not playing, and he revealed he had 5 ribs broken. Now, I don't want to make excuses for these guys, but they were bad. MILF made a lot of mistakes, but he was dealt a pretty bad hand with OLine and QB. He certainly didn't help by not being able to develop Zach, but the decision whether to keep him should be based on his projection for the future.

He actually went through adversity and got some really good experience now. We invested two years in MILF, and I don't think it's time to cut the losses just yet. I want to see what MILF can do when he has at least an average OLine and average QB and use the experiences he gained so far. I would like to see someone like Kubiak as a QB coach and an assistant basically to replace Knapp, but I don't want to see MILF go at this point. Also, from the opportunity cost perspective, at this point Saleh and staff have a play-off mandate, and could be gone next year. I don't really think too many great candidates would be jumping on the job that could last 1 year. Keep MILF, keep Saleh, and JD, and let's see if they can use their experiences, hopefully with better QB and OLine to finally take that next step. If not, next year - clean entire house.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think everyone ( or most everyone) can agree '23 is the year the Saleh Regime has to show results in the standings. Baby steps are over with now as they are going into year 3 and have the talent on hand to compete and finish higher than last place in the division. While Woody most likely will not give a public ultimatum, you better believe behind closed doors the CS knows what they have to produce to keep their jobs.

Saleh has done a masterful job of selling the future. The future will show up bright and early next year and his staff had better be ready to run with it. Or else.....

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He took over a 2 win team. His first year was 4 wins. His second is 7 or 8. Next year has to be a minimum of 10 and a payoff berth or he's toast.

IIMeanDeanII, Borat and Cman68 like this.
  6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

3 plus games without a TD.

We are getting a new QB, no reason to not get a new OC. MLF isn't ready, if he ever will be.

Section 336 and teamgreen like this.
  7. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

30 straight posessions without a td if that isn’t fireable I dunno what is

8. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

LaFleur is almost certainly gone. The offense is a mess.
    Through most of the nosedive we were still starting seasoned vets on the Oline and getting worse each week. The schemes are broken - the blocking scheme, the offensive scheme, and playcalling - all trash.

burf, Section 336, IDFjet and 2 others like this.
  9. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Can I give him less than an F?

jets_fan and KWJetsFan like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Lafleur may one day be a good OC or even HC, but he isn't ready. He "exceeded his grasp" with taking on this job. Woody will demand his firing, as well as the rest of the "O" CS.

papapump, Cman68 and cmcm750203 like this.
  11. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This x 1000

12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

MLF is a great play designer. Unfortunately there’s so much more to being an OC than just designing the plays.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Changing my grade to an F.

No touchdowns scored in 3 straight games is simply inexcusable.

JackBower likes this.
  14. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

We've seen a QB massacre across the league the last few weeks. Whilst offenses took a dip in performance, we still have absolute no names scoring points and getting TDs.

We shouldn't have to have superstar level players (avt, breece, Wilson) to be able to score more than 6 points today.

We've got talent in all our skill positions. It's now at the point I want a full offensive clear out of staff.

Reset the O with a new coordinator and QB and let's rolling.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

15. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

From Cimini's ESPN post-game article.
    "Not only did they lose, but they lost ugly. They scored no touchdowns in their last three games, becoming only the second team in the past decade to go three straight games without a TD."
    32 x teams x 10 years in a decade = 320. 318 of them did better than the Jets finishing season streak. When it mattered most, the OC was most exposed...and designed and oversaw one of the worst 2 of 320. That's not bottom 1% folks, that's bottom .6percent. That is transcendently horrible.

#195 teamgreen, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He lost the benefit of the doubt on this when they started 6-3. Going from 6-3 to 7-10 against the easiest part of your schedule is beyond unacceptable. To take a roster that's. had more talent on it than any Jets team since Rex's two AFC Championship appearances and then to squander that, and a 6-3 start, is just so mind-boggling bad that it has to end up on a list of the all-time worst collapses in NFL history. The way he handled the QB change, the way he's managed to not get his players up for big games, it's just all completely unacceptable. I'm as big a critic of Woody as you'll find, but I won't feel any sympathy for this coaching staff if Woody tells them all to find their own transportation back to New York to clear out their offices tomorrow.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  17. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

The fact that he has Elijah Moore and Corey Davis at WR which are more than capable of making catches and helping out Flacco, not to mention Carter/Knight are assets catching the ball out of backfield - yet other than 1 catch by Moore, none of them were utilized. Sorry, not an accident that players other than GW have all either regressed or stagnated in production under this OC is the major indictment of him and how he utilizes the talent that is on the team. Throw Mims into the convo as well. How could he actually have a decent rookie season under GASE which showed optimism that he could grow into a bigger role, yet he was a complete non-factor for 2 years under this staff...

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’ve been on the fence but your argument really is the tipping point. We’ve been basically molded into believing Mims and Moore are not as good as their respective draft positions based on MLF’s usage or lack there of. At this point I think we have the right to see a new veteran OC’s perspective of the players on this offense.

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I don't listen to Saleh's presser but I guess he was non-committal on MLF coming back. That's a start at least.

20. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Do you allow the same excuses for Zach???

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.